Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:54:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

bait help

Started by Wolfie729, June 19, 2013, 12:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie729

ok guys I am fishing a small farm pond near my house just starting to really getting into bass fishing its fairly shallow 3-6ft with lots of weeds and the waters not very clear really muddy after a rain any suggestions? the pond is about an acre

Manxfishing

I'd try Senko's myself

Wacky rigged with a weedless hook and GP or black

fiker

I personally prefer Wacky rigging to Texas rigging like previously said.  If the weeds are pretty think though you might be getting hung up quite a bit.

I'd buy some EWG 3/0 or 4/0 hooks.  (Gamagatsu or any "good" hook)
A package of Yum dingers in one of the green colors.  (Mardi Gras or green pumpkin w/ red flake).  Dingers will hold up better than the actual Senko brand and are cheaper too.
A package of Zoom Horny Toads in white. 

Tie the 3/0 hooks directly to the line.  Texas rig the Dingers.  They  can be fished slowly and allowed to sink. 

The same hook can be used for the toads.  Texas rig them also.  They can be fished across the tops of the weeds. 

Both techniques will require a pretty good hook set.  You have to drive the hook through the plastic to get to the fish.  With the Dinger set the hook quickly.  With the toad wait until you feel the fish and then set the hook.  If you opt for the wacky rig like discussed earlier, the hook set needn't be too hard.  The fish almost hook themselves.

If you bought all this stuff you'd in business for less than $15.

If you can't find the Horny Toads, try just the Dingers. 

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

YpsiBass

I always liked fishing topwater and spinnerbaits on farm ponds.  Farm pond fish aren't used to seeing the lure variety fish on bigger lakes see so you can usually get away with using anything.  As weedy as you say, I'd want to fish a frog or a buzzbait if the topwater bite is on.

PineLk 49

Welcome Wolfie!!!

Are you sure bass are in there? If the pond if 3 to 6 ft. deep, chances are that it get froze out in the winter. Usually there wont be enough oxygen to keep fish alive, unless you use a bubbler to keep a spot in the ice open.

But if there are fish in there, nothing is more exciting than seeing a bass hit a frog. Heck... I think I am going fishing now.

There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained on this site and some great people.

Good luck
Dave

Wolfie729

Ya im not 100% sure how deep it is seems to run shallow off the exge but might be deep in the middle no one in my family is into fishing so i have been just trial and error so far but thanks for the input this saves me some time im new to this so i will play some more with it. Also colors clear water vs dark and sunny verse cloudy what to choose i always go bright thinking thats a bad idea? As i have only seen caught one smally out there and been there 3-4 times at 2-3hrs a peice used 1 black frog and mostly x raps and some doggin topwaters i think there called and a popper and the one that was caught was by my brother in law on an accidental snag. Not giving up though i know there used to be lots of fish and no one hardly ever fishes it.

djkimmel

Smallies in a farm pond is a rare thing unless it is a bigger, deeper farm pond. Farm ponds aren't too inline with smallmouth bass habitat very often.

Do you know what kind of forage is in and around the farm pond: minnows - color of minnows?; bluegills/panfish?; frogs?; large insects?

That can help determine the more productive colors and approaches though I also often keep it simple with farm ponds - green pumpkin/black topwater frogs - the horny toad is good for lots of weeds, and poppers can be good in openings.

Besides the stick worms, a soft minnow bait might be really good too if you like to fish a little more active like a jerk bait.

You may want to alternate between fishing really slow and really fast with lures too to see if it makes a difference.

Have you seen any beds around the edge of the pond? That can give you some idea of how many bass are in the pond along with average sizes.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Wolfie729

Havent seen any beds its tough though because the water is very murky and its all see weed as far as i can see havent hardly seen many fish but i think its due to the dark water

Wolfie729

Im pretty green to fishing in general so any help on stuff to use when to use what colors videos to watch anything would be appreciated

Wolfie729

Got Fish??

I'm a pond fisher from way back. I work on grounds that have ponds today. Two years ago. That winter was one of the coldest  in years, i All but one pond froze solid, and I lost all of my fish in those ponds. That had produced  a few 3-4lb bass and many 12"-16" bass. With that said. I use 3 " and 4" green  sinkos and a 2 ot off set hook. No weight. I do use a barrel swivel, then an 8" leader. Hook your warm weedless, cast over the weed beds. Let it sink and pull it  through the weeds slowly. If there are fish in  your pond, that bait will let you  know.

Wolfie729

Could you explain this better im pretty ignorant to this not to sound stupid a like a jerk but im not following.

fuzzygrub1611

Lift it then let the bait drop. Dark dirty water means dark lures and baits.

Wolfie729

Thanks and i youtubed the offset hook and figured it out do i need a leader or can i tie it?

bigjc

You definitely don't want to use a leader in heavy vegitation.

Got Fish??

My leader is made from the same line that I have on my reel. It's 8 or 6lb. The swivel keeps your line from twisting and jamming your reel. Use a 2ot  offset worm hook. The point off the hook must be in the worm to make it weedless.