Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Traverse City

Started by skeeter6217, May 24, 2013, 11:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeeter6217

Any word on how the smallie fishing is in the bay? I live 6 hours away and I'm thinking about heading up tomorrow morning and fishing for two days.

Got Fish??

Vary cool! I have  to work all weekend. Stop  at any of  the bait  shops in the area. They will know where and with what. The guys at Jack's in Kalkaska should put you on fish.You may have a northwest wind and it may be tuff on the bay. There are many inland lakes  that produce a lot of quality small mouth. In the area of  Traverse City and Kalkaska.

6 lb Smallmouth

Post a report when you are finished Skeeter.  I am headed up there in a couple weeks and would love to hear how things are going. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

skeeter6217

Was on the east bay for 20 minutes today. Water temp was 42 degrees so I loaded up and went to Long Lake. Too many good lakes around to fight 42 degree water.

Going to Charlevoix tomorrow. Heard the water temp is much better.

djkimmel

Things are heating up quick now up there - maybe not the water as much - but the bass are starting to do their thing. That's what I'm hearing about the Bay and all the lakes up there.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fishndooder

Was out yesterday and the wind rolled the water... I saw surface temps as low as 39 and around 45 on the spawning flats.  Not good...

TackleThis!

I was on East Bay Wednesday from 8:00am to 10:30am water temp was in the low 40's.  I boated a 5.9, 4.9 and a 4.1.

djkimmel

I heard the water got cold, cold but at least if you can find a few fish you might find some big ones. The fishing is a lot hotter on inland lakes and some big, big bass are being caught there too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Got Fish??

I hope the water temp go's up before July 4th week. I will be in Kalkaska for most of the week. I must finish my deck . Hope to fish the other three days. Has any one fished the torch  lake chain? What's thier temps?

djkimmel

50s to 60s depending upon the lake. Bass spawning in some and not spawning completely in others.

TheFishinPollock

The Bay. Killin um  , both sides  , water is about 58 59  . We had a fantasticccccccccccccccc morning, then it rained on us so we split to get food.  perfect day., Overcast with a light wind.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

6 lb Smallmouth

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on June 15, 2013, 05:20:38 PM
The Bay. Killin um  , both sides  , water is about 58 59  . We had a fantasticccccccccccccccc morning, then it rained on us so we split to get food.  perfect day., Overcast with a light wind.

Hey Pollock,

Just curious- I was out there too and was wondering if that is the normal amount of boats fishing on a Saturday.  The area I was fishing had a TON of boats. 

skeeter6217

Quick question: I'm heading up to Traverse tomorrow morning and I live six hours away. Should I fish Charlevoix or the Bay? I'm only fishing two days.

TheFishinPollock

I'm guessing you were on east bay jerkbait.  And no from what I saw  that was light compared to what it should have been . I was on west bay practicing for wed night's NBAA. Just me a ranger and a strat were out on west bay.   Might make it back out tomorrow depends on how the leg and ankel feel. We got dumped on headed back from power island so we called it a day and went for some good ole taco bell.

Skeeter. If you have 2 days. I would start on the bays  .  Chalivoix is hot too . That is a tuff choice.  It would depend on the wind speeds and direction for me.   With charlie you get the added bonus of whopping some good eye for takehome dinners . 
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

6 lb Smallmouth

Yes Matt- I was on the East Bay.  I had never seen it that busy but most of the times I have fished were during the week.  Fishing has been going very well.  Here's a question- the south flats were in the low 60s with areas by the launch being in the high 50s.  What do think it will be like by Elk Rapids?  I am thinking about hitting that area Monday.  How far behind are those fish compared to the south end of the bay?  I started seeing beds south last Tuesday.  Thanks for any advice.   

TheFishinPollock

I would bet that the water by ER is in the high 50's also.   They are dredging our harbor so it might be muddy. Just up a few miles from ER harbor  by creswell road is a good area too.   There were alota boats on east bay cause if I rember right division 38 for NBAA has a tourny tuesday night on east bay outa the center road launch.  Just south of ER is yuba area. Really good spawning flats.
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

6 lb Smallmouth

Matt-
So I took Sunday off since I have been hitting it pretty hard and I thought I would spend the day with my wife and daughter.  Also, I figured there would be a lot of boats out.  I was shocked when driving through TC and saw only 1 or 2 boats out on the East Bay.  I counted 10 just in the area I was fishing Saturday.  If I knew that I would have probably snuck out for the morning since it was perfect fishing conditions.

Anyways, gonna give it another shot tomorrow.  Maybe try out of Elk Rapids later this week.  Do you live in Elk Rapids?  We rented a place for another 2 weeks. 

TheFishinPollock

Yea im right outside of ER in kewadin.   Its just a few miles down the road.  where did ya rent a place at?
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

bmck25

Quote from: skeeter6217 on May 25, 2013, 07:30:22 PM
Was on the east bay for 20 minutes today. Water temp was 42 degrees so I loaded up and went to Long Lake. Too many good lakes around to fight 42 degree water.

Going to Charlevoix tomorrow. Heard the water temp is much better.

Just curious, How did you do on Long? My wife, two little ones, and I rented a house up there the last week of July, first of August. Love it up there. Fished it last year and caught my PB smallie, 6lb 3oz.

Probably going to try Duck and Green some also. May try fishing the bays some too.

6 lb Smallmouth

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on June 16, 2013, 11:46:49 PM
Yea im right outside of ER in kewadin.   Its just a few miles down the road.  where did ya rent a place at?

We're just a block off 31 in the neighborhood when entering town. A little bit of a drive to the pennisula launch but my wife likes staying in ER.