Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:13:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Canadian liscense for det river/ st clair

Started by rudycard72, May 21, 2013, 12:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudycard72

I am fishing as a co-angler in the bfl's this year. Should I buy a canadian liscense just in case or can they be obtained after I talk to the boater I am paired with at the pre tournament meeting? Whats the standard procedure in these situations?

Crankinsmallies

buy a license you will be going to the Canadian side.

Team houston

You can buy them online. I am not sure about a one day one though. Check the Ontario ministry website and find out. If you have access to a printer you can wait.

Team houston

Just took a quick look. It looks like you can get a one day license online. If you get more than a one day you also have to get a outdoor card. more $  Make sure you get the sport and not the conservation license.

rudycard72

Thanks for the advice, their website seems pretty user friendly and the prices are affordable. Who woulda thought.

bigjc

You may also want to inquire about identification requirements, just in case you get stopped by authorities

rudycard72

Good point. I dont have an enhanced licsense or a pasport, probably need one of those too huh?

bigjc

I have the enhanced liscense.  Pretty easy to get at Sec. of State.

djkimmel

Cheap to order a few extra copies of your certified birth certificate from your county clerk. Carry one with you in a baggie to prove your citizenship. It has to be official with the raised stamp on it, not a copy machine copy. I carry that and an enhanced drivers license.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

I thought that when they went to either the Nexus card, enhanced driver's license, or pass port that one didn't need a birth certificate any more. 

Am I wrong?

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

Passport verifies your citizenship. I believe the NEXUS does too in the same way as a passport but I would have to confirm that by reviewing the program in a little more detail. I believe it does but the NEXUS is more limited in scope compared to the full Passport.

An enhanced drivers license has nothing to do with citizenship. It is more acceptable as valid ID for critical situations like border crossings as far as who you are because it is much harder to counterfeit. But, non-citizens can get enhanced drivers licenses and there is no statement of citizenship on the enhanced drivers license like there is on your passport. It has your DOB not your place of birth which is what can demonstrate if you are a U.S. citizen or not. I stand corrected on part of this - see next post.

If you run into a situation where you still have to prove your citizenship, you will need something in addition to the enhanced drivers license. The cheapest and simplest I know of is a certified copy of your birth certificate.

Canada has said they will accept Michigan, Washington state, Vermont and New York enhanced drivers licenses as acceptable ID for a claimed U.S. citizen crossing into Canada.

The U.S. has said it will accept an Ontario enhanced drivers license as acceptable ID for a claimed Canadian citizen crossing into the U.S.

Since I remember that I have members from many other states, provinces and even other countries who do not have acceptable enhanced drivers licenses I have to make sure my statements cover everyone. I also know that if something does occur where additional proof is required to citizenship (personally been there during one border crossing and that was coming back into the U.S. where I've been asked more questions or delayed more a little on average compared to going into Canada) an enhanced drivers license is not true proof of citizenship. But a birth certificate is for U.S. citizenship if it shows you were born in the U.S. You can possibly avoid secondary screening if there is any questions by having the certified copy of your birth certificate. I was glad I had it that day in particular.

This is from Crossing Made Easy showing exactly why I recommend the birth certificate in conjunction with the enhanced drivers license:
For U.S. Citizens returning to the United States:

To prevent delays at ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel. For the general public, people who apply for return entry to the U.S., but do not have appropriate documentation, will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases.

American visitors may be asked to verify their citizenship with either a passport or other accepted form of identification. Naturalized U.S. citizens should carry a naturalization certificate. Permanent U.S. residents who are not citizens are advised to bring their Alien Registration Receipt Card (Green Card).

That has happened to me a couple times, and the one time I think I was headed for the sit and wait lot until I produced my birth certificate. Attitude changed and I went through. I've only been ordered into the sit and wait lot a couple times and one of those was when the nice young English college kid ran into my new outboard motor just as I pulled up to the booth! The other time was because I didn't have the I-68 and the Canadians wanted to talk to me a little about whether or not I was intending to sell my boat in Canada. I had to fill out some form and then went back to heading for the boat ramp. I blame all this on being a redhead :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative the 4 listed states: Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington enhanced drivers licenses DO include identity and citizenship. I'm not sure, but wonder if the Ontario enhanced drivers license also does? I would have to confirm that somewhere.

But I still include my recommendation of having and carrying a certified copy of your birth certificate for all other states, non-included provinces (I haven't found a list yet of which ones are included and which ones aren't) and countries since they don't have an acceptable enhanced drivers license that includes a citizenship declaration. All of you don't need to, but I HAVE to make sure I remember anyone can read this stuff not just anglers from Michigan and Ontario.

I also continue to give the advice for all redheads :D (particularly of Irish descent - we know why don't we my lads and lasses) and because I always believe you should have a backup.

I carry GPS AND a compass. A cell phone AND a VHF radio. Two built-in bilge pumps AND a manual, portable backup pump. And 2 or more of any of my really good lures. Fishing and safety are too important to risk your day and time on any one single failure point. I think it is prudent to treat identification in the same manner.

Also, make sure if you do other types of travel that the identification method(s) you choose covers all your options since they make it 'easy' on us by having different limitations and requirements for entry by land, sea or air... I really do try to get you the best, accurate information. For the U.S., Canada and Mexico travel, the GetYouHome.gov site is a really good one for info.

MSURoss

Fishing the everstart this week. Can i get the conservation license?

bassinman#1

Can you get a Walpole fishing license online?

rudycard72

You want the sport tag not conservation for the everstart tournament.

eetz

Quote from: bassinman#1 on July 21, 2013, 08:44:36 PM
Can you get a Walpole fishing license online?

no, unfortunately.

I was able to get one at Lakeside (10 mile and jefferson) a few weeks ago.  They had a bunch of them available for immediate purchase.  Around $40 if I remember correctly.

That was the only place I could find them at.