Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New Bass Pro Shop Now Open

Started by Dan, January 26, 2007, 11:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I went down to see GVSU play in the National Championship in Florence AL and went past a new Bass Pro Shop in Portage IN. It wasn't opened then, but looked very close. Was told just a day or two ago that it is now open. For us west siders it's closer than the one in Auburn Hills. Just an FYI
On their website they say the Grand Opening is Feb. 16-19. (On I-94 just over the MI border a little ways. 126 miles from GR about 27 miles closer than Auburn Hills from Grand Rapids)

Portage IN
Bass Pro Shops
6425 Daniel Burnham Dr.
Portage, IN 46368

Manager: Steve Winters
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Cy

Cool!  Thanks for the info Dan.

Part of me hopes they built a BPS in Walker instead of a Cabela's but I don't think they are talking to BPS.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Dan

I hear ya, but one or the other sure would be nice.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

blakstr1

Is the Cabelas in Walker a sure bet yet?  I had heard they were looking to land somewhere on the west side. 

We have been hearing of a BPS starting construction as early as this summer up in Mackinaw City!
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

LUMBERLEO

The Cabelas in Walker is not looking good.  They want a 50 million dollar tax break.  I don't think the people in walker will approve that.  They don't understand they will give them a 50mil tax break and make 100mil on all the business it will bring in.  I have debated a bunch of people on the subject most of which have never been to Cabelas and don't realize they build cities around them.  Just another example of this side of the state being behind the times. 

Scott

Cy

No, Cabelas is still struggling to plant roots here in West Michigan.

Scott, your number is a little the ONLY want 15 million from the state and local governments.  I agree that the return on investment will be quick and I think I lot of people are missing the big picture.  That 15 Mil will be used mainly for roads and other improvements anyway.  The dumb part I think is that the state has the money in the Economic Developement Fund but will only spend it on manufacturing.

A BPS in Mackinaw City?  That seems a little strange to me.  I am surprised they are putting a store in such a seasonal location. 

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

joshimoto son

This is a little confusing to me.

Michigan is a State with one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and we are turning down someone who wants to come here and put more jobs on the board.

Is there something that I am missing?

joshimoto son ;D

blakstr1

this is the link to the new Bass Pro store opening in Mackinaw City this spring.  It will be a smaller 30,000 sq. ft. superstore featuring BPS products.  Should be a winner.

http://www.mackinawoutfittersstore.com/
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

MBell

I heard that cableas was playing the whole tourist attraction angle in regards to the tax breaks.  The state asked for a discount for Michigan residents and cabelas turned them down.  The mackinaw city bass pro sounds cool.  I've heard bass pro has a lot of smaller stores down south that are just as good as outdoor world.
-Matt   

fowlmouth

I think the Outdoor World stores are bigger than the norm, the one in Fort Lauderdale is HUGE. World Wide in Islamorada is just saltwater and is quite a bit smaller than the BPS stores, if you're ever down that way it's well worth the stop though.

BassWidow

One thing I've heard on the news is that there is great concern that a big store like Cabelas would put a lot of small "mom & pop" stores out of business. That is isn't sitting well with a lot of people.  Like any situation, there are always pros and cons.  Cabelas would bring jobs, but would also cause some job loss.  I'd imagine that the pros outweigh the cons, though.

Cheetam

Quote from: blakstr1 on January 29, 2007, 08:30:01 PM
this is the link to the new Bass Pro store opening in Mackinaw City this spring.  It will be a smaller 30,000 sq. ft. superstore featuring BPS products.  Should be a winner.

http://www.mackinawoutfittersstore.com/

Hmmm...Is it really a Bass Pro?  Or is it a "Jim Wehr?s Mackinaw Outfitters" store that happens to carry Bass Pro products?  I didn't see Johnny Morris' name anywhere on that site, and I believe he owns all of the retail stores (no franchising).
Jeff

Langer

I drove past the New Bass Pro in Portage IN, on Thursday.  Its not open yet.  Sign said the 15th, which matches the website... http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?appID=437&template=portage.cfm&cm_sp=PortageGrandOpening-_-IS_01_30_07-_-na 

Maybe I will have to schedule some traveling again for work around that time, would be worth it to just stop in a see Miss Indiana  ;D
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President