Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:19:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Cross lock Snaps

Started by gmetime24, February 28, 2013, 08:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmetime24

I just read about cross locking snaps and how they can change the action on a crankbait or jerkbait.  Sounds like they might have a time and place but I was wondering if many guys use these snaps? If so, what brand and what lb test to you prefer? 

Manxfishing

Love snaps

You what the duo locks, there a big round bend (I like #4's)
The cross locks come to point and that will screw up the action of the baits

djkimmel

I rarely used crosslock snaps for crankbaits because the bend is narrow and not round. You do get some erratic behavior from a crankbait with them but not the kind I normally want. I guess I could see for some baits it might be a unique action that helps on certain days? I also had, for what little I used them, more problems with them coming open and being stretched out straight, costing me fish I didn't want to lose. Been a long time since I've tried them.

I've always preferred wider, round bend snaps. Many people say to not use snaps at all for crankbaits. Maybe I would catch more fish without them?? I haven't tested the theory to any great extent. Just like the convenience of snaps for switching baits and I prefer a round snap than trying questionable loops knots to get more action from crankbaits.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

I saw a kvd seminar once where he said that he used snaps with jerk baits.  He claimed he gets better action.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

gmetime24

Quote from: fiker on March 01, 2013, 07:25:08 PM
I saw a kvd seminar once where he said that he used snaps with jerk baits.  He claimed he gets better action.

I actually read about snaps in KVDs book Secrets of a Champion. I know the book is a little old but it seemed like a good idea for more erratic action especially on jerkbaits. He said to use the berkely brand in size 3

djkimmel

That might be one of those exceptions when you actually want an erratic action. Same for some shallow crankbaits or jerking some crankbaits. Might be able to use it to make a crankbait run under a dock too?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

A snap won't give you a erratic action

Think of them as a quick change Rapala knot
You get the full motion of the bait and you can change colors allot faster

A snap swivel will kill the motion

Got Fish??

I rarely use snaps when bass fishing. If I use them at all, it is mostly for muskyes, walleye or pike. I believe that it is a visual thing as much as an action thing. Putting a splitring on your bait first helps with action. When I do use snaps. I use a one piece snap or crossover snap. They will pull more pounds per size of snap. As far as going through alot of line. When i am halfway through the season. I run low and change line, halfway through the season. I think most tournaments anglers change line at least once a year. Remember to properly  dispose off your used line.

gmetime24

Thanks for all your input fellas. I'm going to buy a couple different snaps and run some baits in clear water or in a pool and see what difference I can notice

djkimmel

A non-round snap will affect the action of plugs. Many of the pros I've talked to over the years say even a round bend, small snap kills some of the action. I'm not sure how much or what it does. Lots of variables involved in the action of a lure.

When I fished lots of tournaments, and was full of youth and vigor, I changed line every day during tournaments on all the reels I used more than a few casts during the competition. Of course, I only changed part of the spool to whatever cheaper backing I had on the spool first.