Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 01:44:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Need some okeechobee advice

Started by Mcfish, February 20, 2013, 07:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcfish

Planning a trip down there with my wife.  Considering staying at Roland's Marina/Resort and hiring a guide the first day and renting a bass boat for another three days. 

Has anybody stayed/fished out of there?   Is there a better place that you'd recommend?

I'd rather not fish shiners.  I'd prefer to use lures.  What's the best time of year to go?

Thanks in advance. 

djkimmel

Winter is the best time if you want to escape some of our cold (usually works, but not always). I don't know if there is a better place to stay. I stayed near there at a cheap motel. Seemed like the resort has a decent reputation. They had a bunch of tackle there when I visited but that was over a decade ago.

Used to be a bunch of transplanted Michigan bass anglers who guided out of there in the winter. I do not know who is left at that resort anymore. Maybe someone else has up-to-date info?

Probably the biggest impact on your trip will be water levels. I've only fished there 2 different times and it looked like 2 different lakes. It's similar to fishing in Michigan in many ways but those Florida bass really do seem pickier about cold fronts so going when they are on beds might the best (which can be December to March).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MaizeNBlue

I launched from the Martin Marina 2 years ago, but did not stay there, looked ok though. The biggest factor fishing there is the weather, those fish really shut down during the cold front. Best time fishing there, to me, would be during the spawn, which should be ending about now, but not positive on that. There are a ton of guides down there, if your looking for a Michigan guy....Art Fergunson is a great one. Artoffishing.com if memory serves. Have fun and good luck.

Dan

I Marshaled a BASS Elite Series event there last year. I have it blogged with pictures on my teardropbass.com website. That event was March 22nd and the bass were still bedding, but it was toward the tail end. They caught most of their fish flipping the reed edges. Check the article on my website and you'll see a bunch of picks and the type of cover they were fishing. Most of the guides are going to want to shiner fish. They get a price for the shiners. Not cheap. I would think they would let you fish the way you wanted to though. Don't know how successful they are with artificial baits. I believe I have the name of the place we stayed in Okeechobee and some restaurants. I rode with three different pros on three different days. I also have a map of areas that were fished and the general area where Monroe won the event.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Mcfish

Thanks for the replies.  Now it's just picking a date.   

Skulley

Clewiston is a great choice and so is Roland Martin Marina. It's a first class place. Guides are outstanding. Chet Douhit or Bert Fisher I would recommend highly. Bert is good if you would like to do some Peacock Bass Fishing around Ft. Lauderdale/Miami. I'm sure Douhit is still guiding there. Not so sure about Fisher. Both are excellent. There is another good one there but I can't think of his name right now. Brain fart. I'll post it if it comes to me. Best time is now through mid-May. Good luck and have fun.

BD.                    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

I remembered one guide who is still at Roland Martin's Marina - Kevin Long - www.longcast.com. Nice guy who has fished FLW Tour, and has been guiding in Florida over the winters for many years. He says he will be there until April 29, 2013. Then he comes back up here.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

Quote from: djkimmel on February 26, 2013, 12:00:21 AM
I remembered one guide who is still at Roland Martin's Marina - Kevin Long - www.longcast.com. Nice guy who has fished FLW Tour, and has been guiding in Florida over the winters for many years. He says he will be there until April 29, 2013. Then he comes back up here.

That's it......

BD.                                      ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com