Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:44:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

cheboygan river run

Started by skeeterman190, December 27, 2006, 08:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeeterman190

hey guys kinda new to here never really posted anything,although i have browsed through and you guys run a great site here. planning on fishing the Bfl on burt and mullet and have been doing some map research and have spotted a few areas up in lake huron that look inviting. was wondering how long the run is up the river? and if there are no wakes? this will be my first bfl, im only 23 so im looking forward to it. i fish alot over on muskegon and white but havent stepped up to the big leagues yet.  ;D so thanks again for a great site here and any help on this matter would be great thanks -skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

canvsbk

You have to lock out to Duncan Bay. I think the trip from where they launched last year was 45 mins or so. Same time frame between Mullet and Burt.
Look past what they want you to see.

cwinsiii

There is also information on page 3 from last year that would be worth going over.

skeeterman190

you say its about the same time to get to burt as to huron? indian river must be alot of no wake. is there a schedule that the locks run on? or is it mostly for barge traffic.sorry bout all the questions just tryin to put togather a good plan of attack on the water and make the most of my time out there. obviously ill figure tons when i get up there, i just like to be prepared.the weights they had last year, were they typical or can they be better? i know a guy that had a 29lb stringer on 7 fish back in the federation tourneys they had a few years back and he said that 4's are a pretty good norm up there, thats impressive. a 4 is huge around home(michigan city,in) but our smallies are getting better out here on lake michigan by chicago. thanks again for all the help. -skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

rufus

From where we launch (in the cheboygan river halfway between Mullett and Lake Huron) it is about 45 minutes. The entire cheboygan river is a slow no wake, otherwise it would be a short trip. The locks are $4.00 each way and open at 9 am each morning. There is no barge or commercial traffic up to the locks. The locks can fit about 4 bass boats at a time. The only commercial traffic on the river is right at the mouth. There is a refinery and the Coast Guard station. It is most likely you will not see any commercial traffic at all. I saw one ship in 5 days last year. Lake Huron is beautiful, extremely clear and does have some big smallies, but they are in about 1 percent of the water or less. I will see you up their next year. This is an awesome fishery and I am aready dreaming about going back. God Bless

djkimmel

skeeterman, make sure you look back at last year's info on this board in earlier posts. TONS of great stuff including the boating regulations on all the rivers.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Hey Skeeterman...Are you going as a Boater??? If so I am looking for a boater for Burt and Mullet..Give me a PM

skeeterman190

yeah im going as a boater but i already have a non-boater. my dads gonna do them. it will be cool hangin out with my  dad on the road. looked at all the info that was posted and it looks like u guys got it figured out pretty good up there. im gonna have my work cut out for me. appreciate all the info on the lock schedules and fees. so as it sounds like theres alot of dead water up on huron huh? thats alright,with 34,000 acres of water w burt and mullet im sure i can figure something out. hopefully the weather cooperates and everyone has a great day bed fishing. until next time thanks.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

canvsbk

We've been treating those southern Lake Michigan smallies as " just rumors " around here....... ;)

skeeterman190

yeah those are "just rumors"  ;D  nahh theres some really nice smallies popin up here finally. lots of 3's and 4's are here and the 5's happen every once in awhile. my buddy fished a tourney out here last year and got a 22lb sack so you can see maybe in a few years were gonna have a world class fishery like st.clair or erie. i cant wait. i live in michigan city right near michigan border last year we got some good ones here finally. we have a marina here that your not supposed to fish in i think its bs why but my buddy has a boat on a slip there. i saw a toad on a bed in there at least 6 i was shocked.. i wanted to catch her so bad.. im gonna have to get in there before the big boats get in the water. hopefully ill get a crack at a toad. until next time-skeeterman- 
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

canvsbk

From Burns Ditch to Wagashaunce Point there's dandy smallies. We just don't have the humps and rock piles they have over to the East. For us it's the pier heads or the rip rap inside, but you won't have any other boats in sight that's for sure. The widely fluctuating water temps over here cause more grief than the wind in my opinion. But man when it's right - !! ;D ;D
Good luck in the BFL's this year, I'm sure you'll enjoy it a bunch.