Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:57:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Grand & Long Lake 9/7-9/9

Started by t-bone, September 12, 2012, 10:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-bone

Fished Long Lake first on our trip on 9/7 since our club tournament was both weekend days on Grand.
Took us a while to find fish but they were setup on boulders, which Long is full of. Find a rock and pitch to it and the bite was very light. I missed a big fish on a crankbait - looked to be 4 to 5#. My partner caught almost all the fish on dropshots.

Saturday tournament was tough fishing - windy with 4 or 5 fronts blowing through with rain in the morning. Only a few limits caught as the afternoon wind really started to the blow. The winning bag was a 4 fish 18# sack. Impressive fish for sure. I had 3 fish for 11#s and took big fish with a nice 5.8# smallie. Caught the big smallie on a rocky point that had a lot of wind blowing on it. The other fish tended to be relating to weedy areas. Missed enough for a limit but doubt I would have had 18#s. The winds were so bad by the end of the day we almost had a sunk boat at the launch. While waiting to pull boats, one guy was taking waves over the back of the boat and filled it up. Had to beach it and get 6 guys to bail in order to put it on the trailer. That was a little scary.

Sunday was windy but sunny. Caught a couple keepers with a Senko in weeds but couldn't find fish in the any of the same areas from the day before, so I just started running. Figured out a little late that shallow rocky areas were holding some. Must have been up sunning themselves. Came in with three again but only 7#s. Missed a pig right at the end that chased my crankbait but missed it. Winning wait was 14.3# beating out 2nd by an ounce.

These weren't the typical bags Grand usually produces this time of year. The water temp was upper 60s to low 70s but seemed pretty dirty.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Bass Ninja

thanks for sharing I have wanted to fish those two lakes now for years.  I think I will next year sometime.  how many fish did you catch on long?

Thanks,
Bass Ninja

t-bone

We were only on Long for 4 hours or so in the afternoon. Probably caught a total of 10 in our boat. Another guy said he caught a bunch and he was catching them really shallow. Said he caught at least 4 that that were over 4#s and he wasn't on the lake very long either.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club

motocross269

Both of those lakes can get nasty when the wind blows. On grand I usually tuck in donwind behind the islands

t-bone

Especially a NNW wind that we had. We launched the first day on the south end and the waves buildup going down the lake. It was as rough as being on St. Clair with a 30 mph wind. There were some 4fts rollers coming down the lake. I caught my big fish on the south end riding some pretty big waves - I felt like Clapper on Erie. I could make some hella long casts with the wind into the point though!
We got a little smarter and put in at the marina on the north end on Sunday. They charge 2 bucks in and 2 out. No one was around but we collected cash and left an envelope under the door. We tried to use the public launch next door but it was too shallow and we couldn't get the boats off the trailer. So we launched at the marina and then parked at the public ramp.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club

motocross269

How was that ramp at the marina? Last time I launched there it was pretty steep..Usually that north end gets pretty rough when the wind blows.
That puplic ramp is pretty much useless..

Grand and Long are both great lakes and have the potential to produce sacks over 20lbs....