Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:20:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Transducer rooster tail

Started by robhj, August 17, 2012, 04:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robhj

Hey guys, I upgraded me electronics at the beginning of the season & had a boat dealership install a Humminbird SI unit for my console. I'm very pleased with the unit, however, I get a significant rooster tail around my transducer as soon as my boat gets any kind of speed. The transducer is obviously larger than my older unit but looks to be in the right position. I did find some information on line regarding this issue which doesn't seem to be all that uncommon. From what I can read, the issue is from water being forced up through a slot between the transducer & the bracket and can be resolved by plugging then hole or adding some kind of plate near the transducer. It isn't a huge issue and I've put up with it all year but it does look silly when I'm driving down the lake going 15-20mph with a 8' rooster tail. Anyone experience this or have some suggestions before I start to work on it?

Thanks,
Rob

Waterfoul

Without running outside and into the garage to look at mine... does the x-ducer bracket offer any adjustment up?  You might be able to slide it up just a touch and get rid of the issue.

Humminbird actually recommends that you don't mount the SI x-ducers below the bottom of the boat in the stream of water as the boat is moving, they (and me) have seen a lot of broken brackets because of the size of the x-ducer.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

I'm pretty sure that isn't right. You shouldn't get a rooster tail from the SI transducer when running as Mike says. I'm assuming it is the SI transducer you are referring too. Most of the people are installing it higher up on the hull since it is only used below 10mph if I remember right.

Does your hull allow for a high mounting location?

I'm concerned that if you plug the hole, that will put even more stress on the mount making it more likely you will join the ranks of the broken transducer mount group.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

robhj

Thanks guys. I've never experienced this before on any of my units. I know it isn't mounted below the bottom of the boat but I'll look at raising it some tomorrow to see if that fixes it. Of course I've said that at least 20 times this year but getting on the water always trumps me spending some time fixing the issue.

djkimmel

I understand. What model hull do you have?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

robhj

It's a medium V bottom aluminum multi-species boat. The transducer is in the same spot as the last one but it may have to come up some to see if that eliminates the spraying.

djkimmel

That was what I was wondering. On some of the bass boat hulls, they mount the SI transducer higher up on one of the hull steps so they are above the water when running. With your hull you don't have the same convenience. You probably just have to move it somehow.

I can't recall anyone recently mentioning installing an SI transducer on an aluminum V-hull but maybe someone who has will see this and provide suggestions. If I remember or think of someone I will see what I can find out.

I do recall in the far past, I found a product that was a thick nylon plate you could install on the back of your aluminum hull and then use that to place transducers and other attachments at different levels and locations without putting any further holes through your hull.

Lightningboy

The transducer should be out of the water when you're on plane.  Also, the front end of the transducer should be as tight to the hull as possible to prevent the problem you're talking about.

Do like Dan said; get the plastic board that mounts to the hull, and screw the transducer bracket to that.  Had one on my old Tracker.  Then you can mount the transducer in any spot you want.  The stuff is like cutting board plastic, so easy to drill.

In fact, you may find with some experimenting that you can get a better image with different locations.  Side imaging transducers can be very sensitive to water flow off the hull and lower unit.  I know with my Lowrance trimming too tight starts to degrade my image quality. 

djkimmel

I actually thought about just using a cutting board to save money at one point ;D Seems about the same but the cutting boards I saw weren't quite as thick. Not sure what they cost now but it shouldn't be too bad.

OFFER NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

I did like the idea that when someone were to ask me what brand of mounting plate I used I might have been able to answer "God bless this kitchen" or "Farberware" - something like that! But I did not follow through.

robhj

Thanks again for the replies. I actually do have a mounting board attached to the hull which does make it easier to move things around. It sounds like my transducer may just be too low. I'll also see if I can get it tighter/closer to the hull.

Thanks,
Rob

djkimmel

SethV

As the others said, get that big SI transducer up out of the water when on pad.  Use a shoot through 2d sonar puck with Y-cable for sonar at speed.

What "professional" installed it in that manner?  Hope you didn't pay much....   ::)

Waterfoul

Quote from: SethV on August 21, 2012, 10:25:27 AM
As the others said, get that big SI transducer up out of the water when on pad.  Use a shoot through 2d sonar puck with Y-cable for sonar at speed.

What "professional" installed it in that manner?  Hope you didn't pay much....   ::)

He can't use a shoot-thru transducer, aluminum boat so it won't read thru the hull.  If he wants to read depth at speed he would have to get a standard transom transducer and the y-cable.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

EKennedy

Mine does the same thing.  It came with a little rubber plug which I will install today...might help.  If not, I'll just raise it up a bit.  I estimated that it would be high enough...guess not.  I think all it needs is another inch. 

robhj

I don't rememeber a plug coming with my SI but then again it was installed by a W. MI dealer and I just left them the box to install. I will try to post some pics.  Based on what everyone is saying, it looks like I need to stop talking about and just raise it a little and test it on the lake. Hopefully the pics will post.

Rob