Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Skegemog is a bad idea for the fall EH??

Started by TheFishinPollock, August 12, 2012, 10:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Quote from: Mike S on August 14, 2012, 02:49:16 PM
I was just kidding anyways. I would never do that to anybody. Just a little friendly fun here on the site. From what I saw of Elk last year, the rocks on bottom aren't big enough for a gill to hide by. So, I dare say there will be no Elk action for my boat. I definitely don't know where the one spot to catch fish there is.

I know you were kidding and apparently poking fun at someone. Just wanted to make sure if someone does take it seriously that I share my opinion about spots. The 'spot' thing has not been one of the better parts of bass tournament fishing. It gets ridiculous so often. I've always watched out for the innovators who break the pattern and find the new. Those are definitely the anglers I like to talk to and hang out with! :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

I didn't figure you were taking me serious. Just one of the not so right times to make a joke maybe?  But for the record, I would never move in on somebody like that. And for the keeping a legal limit topic, it's not my way, but it is part of the sport. I will not look down on anyone for keeping fish legally. So, when I told the Pollock he was bad, I was just messing around with him. No harm or personal problems intended.

I do have a serious issue with those who keep too many, or too small of fish. I also have an issue with the people who line Fisherman's Landing on tournament nights. That REALLY ticks me off. But, nothing I can do. I realize I can't judge people in comparison to how I do things. Anyways, fish on fellas.

djkimmel

The people at Fisherman's Landing fishing legally from shore are not the problem or issue. Releasing all the bass caught from all over Muskegon Lake and other lakes into a small, restricted area is the issue. The tournaments that let the bass go there are the ones who need to change.

If they didn't let all the fish go right there, there might not be as many shore anglers trying to fish there, but shore anglers are more limited that boat anglers so they go where they can fish.

Fisherman's Landing has been the 'poster child' for the need for release boats to disperse tournament weighed bass for a long, long, long time. I sat through federation discussions about this very topic back in the late 1980s. More room for improvement on our impact and behavior.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

I'll tell you, just a few weeks ago after an ROI weigh in, we were all walking to our trucks when a guy holds up the big bass from our tournament and he and his buddies quickly went to their car. They quickly had a big limit in their bucket.

They have that service center right around the corner who always has crappy pontoon boats and such for sale. Why not try to strike up a deal and have a release boat?  Why not try to get a donation going for one?  Oh I know, because they personally don't care. It isn't there problem, they get their money no matter what. Bad part is, the ones who bring the majority of the fish in, have to pay to use that facility, and the ones who fish the docks don't pay a penny. So we pay to keep them going and everyone else gets to reap the benefits. I know that's not what this topic is about, but it is a sore spot for me.

djkimmel

There are usually options if the tournament operators and anglers are willing to think a little and put a little effort into it. We've done some things before like having 10 boaters take a few loads of bass out a few hundred yards into the lake as a simple, better than nothing fix. A few times in larger events, we had most of the anglers go back out and release most of their own bass just out past the beach or around the point. You don't want to load too many bass for too long into just a few livewells.

We've had 'homemade' release boats at a few tournaments in the past. I remember a few good ones and one not so good one - the weight of the water tank and bass swamped the back end. The owner said the water would just rush out through 'auto-draining' holes in the hull but they apparently only work if you can get going on plane fairly well and flat, and we were way overweight for that. It was fun. Feet and legs got wet but the bass were easy to release. They could just about swim over the back. :) Funniest part (now anyway) was we repeated the trip maybe 3 times even though we came extremely close to sinking each time! I really have tried to make a difference when I can. Probably went a little overboard that time but I was young and thought I would live forever...

Groups have talked in the past about getting together and buying a release boat for Fisherman's Landing in the past. Never got just enough of a push and donations to pull it off. I really do not know if the bass released there and caught at a possibly higher catch rate than they would be otherwise are enough to make a difference out there, but if we really care about the resource, it would be nice if some groups would get together and come up with a solution.

Regardless, small groups could get their anglers to take their bass back out into the lake a short ways after they weigh them if they are able to tie up to the floating docks rather than have a trailered weigh in. Maybe have half the boats volunteer? I'm sure others have seen or done things to take bass out from less than ideal release areas.

Jmeis

I will say that BBT/Power Pole has been returning the fish caught during their tournaments to the main lake. It is a very good thing that Russ is doing. LIke Dan said that was definitely the worst place going years ago, people were shoulder to shoulder it reminded me of when the salmon runs first started,
Triton TX 21 Bass Master Classic 225 OPTI
It costs extra to be STUPID!

djkimmel

Thanks for letting me know that Russ is taking the extra care. Good to hear that!

I can recall a handful of people lining parts of the wall in Bay City too when we hard large tournaments out of the city ramp. I watched a guy limit out on 2 1/2 to 3 pound largemouth bass that had most likely all just been released there. He was using a helicopter lure of all things!

I didn't feel that bad. It's a big river and a bigger body of water. He shouted out a thanks to all of us saying it was the best 'day' of fishing he had ever had. He looked to me like he could really use the food and I highly doubt that he generally puts a big dent in the fish population.

It also shows kind of how 'simple-minded' bass can be. I remember that time quite often on those days when I start thinking the bass are 'outsmarting' me today.