Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:13:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

new spinning reel?

Started by korean_bassmaster, June 16, 2012, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

korean_bassmaster

Hey guys i was wondering what u would prefer for a good spinning reel? I am looking in the price range of $60-80. I have a pfluger president and thinking Bout just getting another one but was just wondering what else is out there.   I also was looking at a quantum accurist.  I have alot of quantum baitcasters and love em. R their spinning reels just as good? Thanks for any info.  Kb

karol

Hey kb, that's my intials ;) anyways, ihave some quantum PTI"s that i really like a 30 and a 20 size and a 40 for musky  fishing. see if you can find some on e-bay. haven't had a  problem with them yet
after 5 years..karol beachy-see :D

Revtro

Maybe I just had older Quantums, but I've had bad luck with them.  Every single one I have owned has broken in some way.  Conversely, I have never had a Pfluger break.  But I bought a Diawa Regal SiA a few years ago and it's been a really great reel.  It's 10 bearing and smooth as silk.  You can't beat it for an inexpensive reel.  I'd buy a handful more of them if I could afford it.  Don't discount Karol's opinions though on the Quantum's.  Maybe the newer ones are more solid.  I hear plenty of people that love them. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Mike S.

WaveSpin. Best reel I have ever had in that price range. I used to be a Quantum guy. But, I will never buy another one. Lots of problems, and none of mine are over 3 years old. Just threw a Tour Edition in the lake last week. Not on purpose, bit I only spent maybe an hour trying to get it back. Wasn't too hurt by losing it.

Waterfoul

Nothing wrong with the President.  Good reel for the money.  Shimano Sedona would be another good choice, as would the Wave Spin mentioned by Mike S above.  I own all these reels and have not had issues with any of them.  Can't say the same thing for any Qyuantum I've owned.  I've litterally thown 2 PTi's away because they simply failed.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

YpsiBass

I had a first gen Quantum PTI spinning reel where the anti-reverse failed, but their customer service a year or so before where the handle failed was excellent. Shipped me a new handle free of charge. 

That being said, I fish exclusively with Daiwa spinning reels. I have fewer line twist problems and hardly ever one of those weird spinning reel "backlashes". Their higher end reels don't have as many bearings as their low end, but you can't tell.

djkimmel

I've had the best luck with spinning reels in the past 8 or 10 seasons in that price range (pretty much all I buy when I buy) with the WaveSpin reels and Pfluegers. I've been getting only WaveSpin the past few seasons because of their support for this website. Which I always appreciate.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dashaver63

Pflueger Presidents are all I use, I have 5 and they have lasted for 5 and 6 years and still no issues. I have the Wavespin I got at the DK Fall open a couple years ago and love it. The only drawback I have with that reel is casting distance with light lures and unweighted worms.

Mojo

Sorry guys, but I'd take a used Stradic 2500 over any of those new, and I find em online for $70 - $90.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

fiker

Stadic is good.  I have 1 President, and the rest are Shimano Symetres.  The Shimanos are by far a better reel, and a little lighter. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

6 lb Smallmouth

Quote from: YpsiBass on June 17, 2012, 08:44:49 AM

That being said, I fish exclusively with Daiwa spinning reels. I have fewer line twist problems and hardly ever one of those weird spinning reel "backlashes". Their higher end reels don't have as many bearings as their low end, but you can't tell.

Daiwa spinning reels are all I use and I'll second what Y has to say about those backlashes.  I'm in the market for another spinning reel and am either going to fix my Laguna (broken bail- my fault) or just get another one since I've beat the hell out of the reel over 4-5 years.  I've heard good things about the President and the Wavespins too. 

And I don't know why so many people use Quantum.  I always hear or read about people complaining about those reels. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Mike S.

Quote from: Mojo on July 02, 2012, 12:47:08 AM
Sorry guys, but I'd take a used Stradic 2500 over any of those new, and I find em online for $70 - $90.

I bought a new Stradic CI4 just a few weeks ago. First Shimano ever, and I absolutely love it. Granted, its a little out of the ball park of what he was looking for, but an awesome reel. Would like to replace all of my Quantum's with them. If you can find one used, snag it. You will love it.

Lightningboy

I'm gonna suggest not to be afraid of used reels either.  You can find a lot of good deals on something someone bought to fit a certain niche, but wasn't quite right for them.

I've had two Quantums, can't say I was impressed.

The Shimanos are good reals, a used Stradic as mentioned above would suit you well.  Saharas are good also, as is the Symetre.  Put a lot of miles on those and always felt I got more than my money's worth.

Now I lean toward Diawas for spinning.  I've got two older Excellers I'm impressed with.  The Exceller Spools are a little bigger in diameter than the corresponding Shimanos, (As are most Diawa spinning reels) and handle fluoro a little better.

Mojo

Exceller Spools are a little bigger in diameter than the corresponding Shimanos, (As are most Diawa spinning reels) and handle fluoro a little better.

That is some good input.  I wonder if going to shimano 4000 spools for my DS and tube rods would help with twist ?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

Going to the tangle-proof WaveSpin reel might help you with your twist...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Team houston

I had an exceler and liked it a lot, till the bail started not closing all the way.

Waterfoul

Quote from: Mojo on July 03, 2012, 05:39:59 PM
Exceller Spools are a little bigger in diameter than the corresponding Shimanos, (As are most Diawa spinning reels) and handle fluoro a little better.

That is some good input.  I wonder if going to shimano 4000 spools for my DS and tube rods would help with twist ?

15 lb braid and 8 lb floro leader helps a TON with the twist issue.  I do not like using a swivel... damaged a few rod tips doing that.

My new drop shot reel is the Stradic Ci4.  Best spinning reel I've got by far... and I have several that cost more than the Ci4 did.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

detroit1

I hooked my wacky combo (sahara) on a cast sunday and into Orchrd lk. it went. Spent about a half hour trying to get it back.  14' deep next to a jagged weedline. Bought 2 Presidents to replace. 40+ years of fishing and never did that before....dang.
WAVE THERAPY

6 lb Smallmouth

Quote from: detroit1 on July 06, 2012, 09:11:20 PM
I hooked my wacky combo (sahara) on a cast sunday and into Orchrd lk. it went. Spent about a half hour trying to get it back.  14' deep next to a jagged weedline. Bought 2 Presidents to replace. 40+ years of fishing and never did that before....dang.

Broke my line and laid the rod on the deck.  Guess I didn't reel up the slack like.  A minute or so later, the trolling motor prop caught the line and spun the combo right into the water.  I dropped to my knees and jammed the rod I was using under the top half of the rod.  Lucky, I was able to catch the rod and I was able to lunge out and grab the rod tip.  Got the top half of my body wet but it was an IMX and Chronarch and I was in pretty deep water.  That would have been a tough loss. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

troossien1

i love my abu garcia trio its so smooth
Kistler rods