Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:15:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Today Made it All Worth While

Started by PaintballLane, June 14, 2012, 09:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaintballLane

Got out this morning and fished until about 2pm. Trying to deal with this wind has been a taxing deal. I don't know how you guys manage when it really blows.

Even so, we caught some fish. I fished like a moron. I broke off 2 good fish and had 2 other good ones simply pull free. I'm scratching my head. But I did catch a few fish. Maybe not a great day by St Clair standards, but enough for me. And my 12 year old son caught 16 with the biggest being just over 3 1/2 and most being over 2. If I didn't catch a fish watching him would have made the trip worthwhile.

We drifted (felt like "cruised" would be a more descriptive word) with the wind and drug tubes, goby's, worms, and craw's. It seemed that a specific spot was more a factor than the bait choice. And, frankly, I never seemed to really put the puzzle together. But we'd catch 2 or 3 and then they're gone. Drift along and catch 2 or 3 back to back, then nothing.

Sometimes there was rock. Sometimes there wasn't. Sometimes the change in clarity seemed to make it happen, then not. Pretty consistent in time but random in where and what. We fished from 8' out to 12.5'. And again, didn't notice a particular depth producing better quantity or size.

Gonna try again tomorrow. Man I hope that wind calms down just a little.

markgoetsch

glad to hear you're having a good time.  If the wind gets to bad for you there are always largemouth in the canals.  I know you didn't drive all this way for largeheads but they can still be alot of fun if the lake is too rough.

Revtro

All you can really do is use a drift sock or 2.  I usually create a waypoint if I get a few back to back, then if I don't get anything for a period of time, I'll re-drift the same area where the waypoint was. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Mojo

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

PaintballLane

Everything helped.

Out again today and my son smoked me again. He probably had a 15+lb bag from the back of the boat. I'm on cloud nine and he is too!

I did manage a 4-10 this afternoon and that made my day.

My son caught two 3.75's and a 3.25 in a 15 minute flurry. That's what I was here for. He's already trying to move up here for the rest of the summer.

Today was a slower bite. And aside from the single big fish, the weight was no different for me. My son caught fewer fish today, maybe 10-11 total vs 20 yesterday, but he had 6 good ones in those 10.

Thanks for the help guys. You have an amazing fishery and I'm hooked. I'm going to make AT LEAST one trip a year up here so long as I'm able.

fiker

It may not be your fault when you lose fish.  When dragging tubes, sometimes the fish pick it up and swim right towards you.  Tuff to set the hook.  Tuff to detect this is in really windy conditions also.  Solution:  reel like crazy to catch up with the fish then set the hook.

Have you guys tried drop shotting?  Sometimes that out fishes tubes, and vice versa.   
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390