Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:26:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Ethanol

Started by Redbone, May 07, 2012, 01:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbone

My motor started bogging down at WOT.  I'm pretty sure its a fuel issue.  I'm replacing my primer bulb and water separating filter tonight.  I sure hope that fixes my problem.  It figures something like this would happen a few weeks before season. It would be nice if it was ethanol eating my gas line and I caught it before any real trouble. But I'm am not sure if that's the culprit.

Has anyone had any issues with ethanol eating away at the lines? I have read online about it happening often.

Skulley

The only thing I have heard about pertaining to ethanol has been fuel separation. Be sure to use an additive like Stabile Marine or Star Tron. Both very good products. This is the case where a few bucks will save you hundreds in the long run. I am sure it will help keep your lines in better condition also.

BD.                         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Redbone

I replaced the plugs, bulb, and ws filter. Ethanol did not looked to be a factor. But the filter had a bunch of junk on it. Almost like rust. Or like the filter was really old and alling apart. I have it all ready to give it another shot. I have my fingers crossed.

customfishn

If those are not the problem check your reeds.  I just rebuilt a motor that had that same issue but he kept running it and sucked a stainless reed through a cylinder and not good things happened.  More then likely thats not it but just incase.

Jmeis

My 225 Merc did the same thing last year right after I got it, ook it back and when they ran it in the tank the fuel lines were literally collapsing, supposedly from the ethanol fuel. They repaced all the fuel lines and it has been perfect since.
Triton TX 21 Bass Master Classic 225 OPTI
It costs extra to be STUPID!

Waterfoul

That junk in your filter was probably sediment from your tank.  The ethanol can eat at it, loosen it up, and clog your filter.  Just keep a good filter on your motor.  Change it every spring.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Lightningboy

When I replaced my fuel line I cut the old one open to take a look at the lining.  It was full of cracks, with small pieces missing.  The ethanol eats into the old style lining over time.

Check the printing on the fuel line.  Gray with red or orange printing is the old style, which will be degraded by ethanol.  The modern ethanol approved line is gray with blue printing.

BTW- what motor we talking about? 

Redbone

I have a 125 Merc with a carb. I updated the line to the motor with the grey with blue writing.  But from my tank to the bulb I have the thicker black lines.  I checked a small section of both lines and they look good. 

I put the muffs on last night and it ran better than it ever has.  Although It was not under load. I am hopefull that it will run just as good in the water.

My only concern is that I did not change my inline filter under the cowling.  There is zero room to work and I really do not want to change that if I do not have to.

Skulley

You may want to move that location of your fuel filter. If you didn't replace that line, you may want to anyway and make that filter more accessible.

BD.                  ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com