Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

need advice on rigs

Started by karol, May 13, 2012, 09:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karol

ok guys here it is, i get confused on what lures to have tied on for my rod and reel combo's.  i have a
7 ft st. croix with a 30 pti and 8 lb stren spinning- used for tubes
a gander mountain 6-6 with a size 20 reel with 8 lb stren-wacky worms
a berkley 6' with a 20 size pti reel with 15 lb power pro with a mono leader- used for twin tail hula grub type lures

also a 7ft mh lightning rod with a `low profile reel with 10 lb cxx-used for crankbaits
a 6-6 lightning rod with a low profile with 17 lb mono - used for spinnerbaits and swimming jigs.

what would you keep tied on with these rod and reel combo's?. hate to come home and say to myself" oh man!! why didn't i throw this instead of that?  hate to be so long winded but you guys are quicker on your feet than i am.. Thanks again..Karol
and a , 7-6 bps flippin stick with a 5500 c-3 with 65 lb power pro- used for throwing frogs and weedless topwater 

Manxfishing

Ok

If it were me
The 7' MH would double for a jig rod

You need to start throwing Jigs
Look at those Swag jigs (they support GLB)

And you need to start drop shoting
Any one of the med spinning rigs is a good start

Got Fish??

I don't know what the fuss is all about. It's not rocket science.  There are all kinds of rods made out of several different combonations of  materials. They come in lite,med., and heavy and any combonation in between. From 5' to ?'.  Some cast longer and heavy er lures, some are more sensitive for finesse fishing. Please don't feel that you have to match a certain rod,reel and lure together. It's not the gear that catches fish. It's the fishermen. The weight of line and size of lure are usually marked on each rod and reel. Are you trying to impress other fishermen ,or are you trying to catch fish and enjoy yourself? Every one has their own faverte rod and reel combo. once you get confidence in a rig, You will catch more fish. Enjoy!

djkimmel

Well it can help make you a better angler if you use the best tools at the right time. We all have limits on how much we can spend on tools so it can also help on a limited budget to get advice on what are the most useful and possibly more versatile tools. Nothing wrong with asking questions about that.

That's what is so great about fishing. You can choose to make it as simple or as complicated, or somewhere in between, as you want. And anyone can do it.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Got Fish??

I guess that's the point I tryed to make, thank you Dan.

djkimmel

I wanted to 'flesh' it out a little. When I tournament fished, I was beat by anglers with 35 rods in the boat and anglers with 4 rods in the boat. I also once in a while beat angles with 35 rods in the boat and even the angles with 4 rods in the boat sometimes too.

Now, I often just fish the way I want to fish because it is what I want to do, even if it might not be the best choice at the moment and place.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.