Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:14:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Northern Lake Michigan Smallies

Started by Skulley, May 07, 2012, 11:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skulley

In the June 2012 issue of In-Fisherman Magazine in the "Bits & Pieces" section, there is an article about smallies up around the the Beaver Island Archipelago. It is an article about field research done in that area pertaining to smallmouth migration patterns during pre-spawn, spawn, and post spawn periods in 2008. Anyone on the forum ever fish up there?? It's on page 8. Check it out.

BD.                    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Redbone

Skulley

A short article but concise and right to the point. Got a pretty good idea about what's going on out there. I sure would like to give it a try.

BD.                     ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

bigmojet

Do a search on forum topic Wilderness State Park i believe in Great Lakes fishing a couple months back as this is the same general area.

In fisherman show i just watched they were fly fishing for carp in the shsllows surrounding Beaver Island.

customfishn

I have heard thats great fishing.  How far of a run is it out there?  Heard of people talking of making the run from Manistee.

bigmojet

I think you mean Manistique in the UP.

bigmojet

If the Elites end up at Bay de nocs for the mystery tournament i wonder if any would try to make the 60-70 mile run to beaver island? I bet end of June would be loaded with shallow fish.

Skulley

I am sure if the weather is right, someone will make that run.

BD.                        ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

jgip087

It's a long_____ way across that lake from Charlevoix (40ish miles), which is the closest port.  You can KILL them though! They are hard to find but once you do there are hundreds grouped together.

I highly doubt anyone would ever run from the Bays de Noc to Beaver Island because they beat the fishing at Beaver any day.  Once I figured the fish out on Little Bay de Noc, I never wanted to leave.  You can catch 100-200 fish a day there in the heat of the summer over 3.5 pounds.  During practice, I caught a 28 pound bag one day and a 30 pound sack on another day while not even trying (a 35 pound bag is not out of the question if the Elites do there because those guys are the best).  I ended up getting drug to the Big Bay during the tournament because I was a co-angler but my pre-fishing partner took his boater to my secondary spot and was leading the tournament with about 25 pounds on the first day and Brandon was fishing the same spot I found and caught 23 pounds a day and tons of bass on the first 2 days.  You will never cull more 4 pounders anywhere!  The Big Bay is the place to go if you want to absolutely slay 3-3.5 pounders with the occassional 4 or 5 pounder mixed in.
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

djkimmel

Quote from: bigmojet on May 08, 2012, 10:09:18 AM
If the Elites end up at Bay de nocs for the mystery tournament i wonder if any would try to make the 60-70 mile run to beaver island? I bet end of June would be loaded with shallow fish.

I hope not. Bass season won't be open at the islands until 7/1/2012 - the last day of the Elite Series mystery tournament. There is no catch and release at the Beaver Islands archipelago before the restrictive season begins on July 1.

Always check the latest MDNR fishing guide and regulations for changes and information about any new areas you might try before you go fishing each season.

Note 2 - Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass Pg 7
On L. Michigan, within one-half mile of the following islands of the Beaver Island Archipelago: Beaver, Garden, High and Hog, (Charlevoix Co.) the open season is July 1 - Dec. 31, (see p. 16).

Exceptions to General Regulations by County Pg 16
CHARLEVOIX: On L. Michigan, within one-half mile of the following islands of the Beaver Island Archipelago: Beaver, Garden, High and Hog the open season for largemouth and smallmouth bass is July 1 - Dec. 31 (no catch and release season prior to July 1).

Apparently, the fishing was much better in the good old days when people kept their bass so the not smart bass around the islands were taking a beating. Could be a combination of lower fertility and fishing? Not sure since it is not the most accessible place to fish. I have heard a few people mention that the bass fishing has improved quite a bit. Could be the regs. Could be the high voluntary release rate anglers practice in general now. Could be there's so much great bass fishing easier to get to that the fishing pressure at the islands is really low.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

There are other restrictive, specialized and boundary water regs you might want to know if you ever target waters between states and/or the Upper Peninsula.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

Can't you take a ferry across to Beaver Island and launch on the island??

BD.                    ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

I've had some people tell me that is what they did. I've thought about it, but the cost seems to not be worth driving by all that great bass fishing on the way there for me so far.

Skulley

It's $80 to $100 for vehicle for each way depending on peak or non-peak season from Charlevoix. I can see what you mean. Splitting the cost between 2 or 3 people would make it more economical but at the same time, you have to add $24 a person to that each way. Trailer cost is determined on trailer dimension. Beaver Island Ferry Company. So I would say its pricy.

BD.                        ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Got Fish??

I'm sure it's all Worth it but. With all the cost line Lake Mich. and the GreandTraverss Bay area. Their should be enough legal fishing spots to go around. Hey UAW, I'm ready! Let's go.