Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:03:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Gettin' my A-rig ready for next Saturday.

Started by bigjc, April 21, 2012, 10:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjc

After watching Zona this morning slammin' spots and stripers on the A-rig, I had the itch to get mine out.  So this may sound goofy, but I finally pulled my A-rig out of the package today, and rigged it with some 4 " paddletail/swimbaits.  I had to see how it would look coming thru the water, so I filled up the bath tub and swam it back a forth a few times to see what it would like like swimming.  I tied it to a 7' 6" telescopic BPS Extreme Medium rod and gave it a few tosses in the yard.  I am pretty excited to throw it in a couple weeks down on Dale Hallow, if not next weekend somewhere around here. 

I noticed a few obvious drawbacks...on the model that I have, the clasps were a bit difficult to hook through the eyelet of the leadheads.  Thus it took me a good solid ten minutes to rig the baits on it.  Swimming it in the tub I noticed that the baits fowl easily if not careful.  Then I noticed that casting it was no simple task either.  Not to mention that Zona and guest seemed to hang in every brush pile that they got within 50' of.  Oh well no bait is perfect I guess.

Still cannot wait to get doubles on it!!!

djkimmel

There's lots of ways to minimize snags. I expect a ton of enhancements and variations to come. I've seen some people using jigheads with weed guards on the bottom hooks or using Texposed-rigged hooks on the bottom hooks. That should help some. You know they have always said if you don't get snagged once in a while, you might not be doing it right.

Of course, like any presentation, there will be times when other presentations work better maybe just because you can fish them through the present cover better. Should be a fun season regardless!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

I rigged 3 of them today.  BPS had a YUM Money MInnow kit which had 5 jig heads and 5 Minnows.  I rigged the other 2 with curly tailed grubs.   Tossed them off my dock in the 40 mph winds this afternoon.  The money minnows looked the best.  Probably throw it next week for fun.   then put it down and get the jig rod out.

bigjc

Are the yum kits easy to rig?   I find that some of the swim baits/hollow belliies are difficult to rig straight.

dartag

They were not bad to rig.  The kit came with 5 jig heads and 5 minnows.  I superglued the minnows to the heads.    I am sure the pike on kent will be excited to see them

djkimmel

Who doesn't like a school of juicy minnows??

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigjc

To date, Pike is all that I have caught on any swimbait!

Jay-MadWags

Quote from: bigjc on April 21, 2012, 10:48:15 PM
After watching Zona this morning slammin' spots and stripers on the A-rig, I had the itch to get mine out.  So this may sound goofy, but I finally pulled my A-rig out of the package today, and rigged it with some 4 " paddletail/swimbaits.  I had to see how it would look coming thru the water, so I filled up the bath tub and swam it back a forth a few times to see what it would like like swimming.  I tied it to a 7' 6" telescopic BPS Extreme Medium rod and gave it a few tosses in the yard.  I am pretty excited to throw it in a couple weeks down on Dale Hallow, if not next weekend somewhere around here. 

I noticed a few obvious drawbacks...on the model that I have, the clasps were a bit difficult to hook through the eyelet of the leadheads.  Thus it took me a good solid ten minutes to rig the baits on it.  Swimming it in the tub I noticed that the baits fowl easily if not careful.  Then I noticed that casting it was no simple task either.  Not to mention that Zona and guest seemed to hang in every brush pile that they got within 50' of.  Oh well no bait is perfect I guess.

In the bath tub???  Really??  WOW.
Rain and cold forecast for Saturday.  Bring your other umbrella rig.  The kind for rain.

Still cannot wait to get doubles on it!!!
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

bigjc

I didn't have any other way to see the action of the baits.

djkimmel

I've tested lures in the bathtub before. I bet lots of anglers have.

YpsiBass

Luckily there's a farm pond next to my condo so I don't have to do this anymore.  My a-rig comes in the mail tomorrow.  Forgot to buy jig heads though so going to have to head to Dick's or something.

Bad Poncho

I threw a Krypton Lures Crappie Rig (small size/wire) during the earlier season, got a few on it too! when throwing around grass I skin-hooked the hook points and never had a snag and I crawled it over laydowns.

Personally I will be throwing grubs on my fullsize rig with smaller hooks and will be doing a similar method. Biggest thing I can saw though is pick yourself up some Hitch Series Trailer Keepers, you quickly get tired of playing with five swimbaits sliding down their jigheads.

bigjc

YpsiBass

Just got my rig in the mail.  I did not realize how big it's actually going to be with 4" swimbaits on it until just now.  Geez.  I'm going to need a bigger rod.  65 pound braid is fairly hefty though.  Not worried about losing it at least.

bigjc

it seems like the popular notion is to throw an a-rig on heavy braid.  I am not sure that I get that notion,  I have for the moment rigged mine on 17# co-polymer.  I guess I will just have to throw it for a day or two until I decide what setup I like.

Bad Poncho

Quote from: bigjc on April 26, 2012, 11:10:51 PM
What about glue?

Glue SHOULD work, I've used glue in the past but since I got the Hitches I've been using those so I can switch things out when I tear appendages off. I throw mine on a 7' MH with 65lb Fluorobraid, same as my jig rod, plus I use heavy 50lb clips to switch in a hurry if need be. They are HUGE with 4" swimbaits, fish still hit it though!