Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:19:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Looking for suggestion for a new lead/acid battery

Started by Victor Cerabone, April 21, 2012, 10:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Cerabone

One of my three batteries is dead.  I'm looking for suggestion on a new one.  I have been using BPS brand on that spot and have not been impressed with the durability.  I am looking for lead acid/only.  Any suggestions guys?

Thanks,

Vic

djkimmel

Save yourself some time and get Deka Marine Master. I have gotten 5 full years out of each set of 3 size 31s that I have used for years now without 1 failure. I'm on my 3rd set and into the 6th season.

Since I fish a lot less now, I'm not going to swap them out this year. They have size 24, 27 and 31 in deep cycle and deep cycle/dual purpose for starting outboards. I have the dual purpose since I only have room for 3 batteries and have a 24/36 trolling motor.

Back when I still fished over 130 days a year, I swapped them out after 5 seasons even though each time I swapped them out, they were showing no noticeable signs of weakening and still lasted all day regardless of wind and current.

Where to buy

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

You need to tell us what you want the new battery to do?  Start the motor and run electronics?  Run the trolling motor?

If you need a new deep cycle and you are running a 24 volt trolling motor you should consider replacing both batteries... one new one and one "good" one will not last as long as 2 new ones.  The "good" one will put a load on the new one and shorten it's life.

If you need a new starting/electronics battery I suggest the new Deka 27M6 battery.  It was designed to meet the specs that Mercury requires for all their bigger outboards.  It's 1050 MCA and 182 reserve minutes.  It's listed as a "Starting battery/High Reserve" battery.  I just bought one for my boat.  It has higher MCA and reserve minutes than a group 31 Dual Purpose battery.  You can get one at any West Marine store (you may have to order it though).
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bigmojet

I bought a new Battery Minder battery chargerthis winter thst is supposed to take the sulphate off the battery plates by pulsing the battery over a period of time. I have let it run on my 3 & 5 year old Walmart batteries and is supposed to bring them back to like new condition.

Well see it it worked come Saturday.

Victor Cerabone

Thanks for the responses guys.

The battery is to replace one of my three TM batteries.  I run a CSI charger and I feel that the maintence setting on this charger boils these batteries over a long period.  I have now taking the approach of turning it off once they are charged from a day on the water and turning it on every week to maintain.

@waterfoul - I agree that the best approach is to replace all three, however the cost is an issue for me.  I will check out the other two with a hydrometer before I decide to upgrade only one.  Thanks for the tip on Deka.

@Dan - I wil check out Deka. 

I now have a Sears Diehard PM1 AGM for my big motor and electronics.  I just installed this last year.  A livewell full of green fish with the side imaging running all day would kill my starting battery when fishing a little inland lake.  Not a problem with this big battery.

Vic

djkimmel

For Great Lakes anglers, I always recommend size 31 for all batteries. It's been so long, I barely remember, but I can't faintly remember because it was always a sinking feeling - to be running out of juice before the end of a fishing day. Especially in a tournament! Hated that feeling. I've never had it once since I switched to Deka.

I don't go by any charger claims as far as leaving them on all the time to trickle. I charge until they are fully charged and then remove the charger. About once a month over the winter I put them on the charger overnight again and remove it in the morning.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.