Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:43:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

SI transducer

Started by mikesmiph, April 17, 2012, 02:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesmiph

Was going to hire it done, but was told its no big deal to mount the trans for a H-Bird SI. I believe I have a stepped hull. Have always had a problem with my trans popping up at speed. Not sure where to mount the trans for a SI. I dont have a jackplate. Also, I've read somewhere that the SI doesnt work good at speed. Should I keep the 798 on the console somewhere too? Maybe run a puck for that and epoxy it in? Any advise would be wonderful.

EKennedy

Just picked up the exact same unit, MIke...we'll have to share notes.  and waypoints.   :-X  Be interested to know any set-up trick anybody has.

Eric

I have done quite a few of them.  If I come to Sterling Heights a day or two before the DK Open, I'd be happy to help install them at Chuck's house.  If you want to wait that long anyways, cuz I'm a westsider.  Just let me know if you will be bring your little redheaded sidekick.  Then I know to wear my goalie and catching gear.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

mikesmiph

Oh, shes coming, for sure. Ok a couple new questions. Now, I'm thinking of this. 997SI on the bow. 787 on console and 788 on back deck. First question, is the trans on my Fortrex compatible with SI? If not, how would I mount the trans? I'm thinking of doing a through the hull for the one on the console, I've always had issues with the trans popping up at speed. Then I could use the one thats on the back for the 788. Any ideas?

MBell

Mike, humminbird makes a y cable for transcucers.  You mount the regular si tansducer externally then mount a 2nd thru hull transducer.  The y cable connects both transducers to one unit.  Once you pass a certain speed it will switch to the thru hull.  I don't know how to set it up, but know a few guys that have this setup.
-Matt

bigmojet

The transducer in minn kota trollong motors is just for regular sonar. If you want to run SI and or DI you will need to mount that on your trolling motor.

Most guys dont run SI off the front because that requires running a strsight line to get quality data. DI you can run all over the place though.

I run a 798 off the back and a 788 of the bow. I havent ethrrnet the 2 yet. I still question the waypoint if your connected about determining if was the waypoint from the front or back. I might be nitpicking but their is a 14' differrnce between two.

stackenem

If I understand my book on using the ethernet cable between the 2 units your way point is set by which ever unit you have set up as your main unit. It will show the same point on both. So if you have a unit set up as your main that has internal anttenna it will show right there, but if you are using a puck it will show where the puck is at in relation to the the unit. Are you confused now.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

SethV

Quote from: MBell on April 18, 2012, 01:45:23 PM
Mike, humminbird makes a y cable for transcucers.  You mount the regular si tansducer externally then mount a 2nd thru hull transducer.  The y cable connects both transducers to one unit.  Once you pass a certain speed it will switch to the thru hull.  I don't know how to set it up, but know a few guys that have this setup.
-Matt

Yep, do it this way.  Mount the SI where it will be up out of the water when you are on pad.  It is big and you don't want it dragging in the water at speed as it can tear off.  Use the thru hull 2D sonar with the Y cable when you are running.

Firefighter Jeff

Crap, I wrote out a huge response to this and somehow didn't post it  !!!  Grrrrrr

Mike, if you only have one SI Graph I suggest putting it at the dash,.  You will use the big motor more searching for stuff and covering territory than you would with the TM. I know that a few guys love a SI at the TM but if you aren't going in a straight line the picture gets distorted.

Bigmo, if you haven't already, you will need a adaptor or Dongle as they call it to hook the ethernet cable to the 788.

Stack, I just recently connected my 898 at the dash to a 788 at the bow.  As I understand it the waypoints from both graphs show up, but only when both are powered up.  When you save a waypoint it is saved to the graph you make it on. It will show up on the other but it won't be saved to the second, therefore you need both powered up to see points made from the combination of the two.  Guess it's like a map from each unit, when powered, is overlapped and all the waypoints show.

Stack, the waypoints from my 788 show a little different color than the ones from my 898.  So I can tell which unit made the point.  This way you could stop 14' short of a point to correct the error Bigmo was talking about.  Now, I haven't had a lot of time to check, but the difference in color may be from a update I made to the units.  There is a new feature called a casting ring.  VanDam wanted to know when he was 50' away (one cast length) from a waypoint.  So, a ring now shows around the dot or point. I thought the feature was supposed to work on my 788 also, but I don't think it's working.  Maybe that's why the waypoints look different.  Confused??  lol

Mike, not sure about mounting a transducer to the Fortrex, but if there is a problem I'm sure Transducer Shield and Saver has a solution.  They are a little salty in price, but are well worth the investment.  Have you priced the ducers on the newer units with DI and SI ??? They aren't $70 any more.  Anyway I used TS&S products to mount my ducers to the TM and my jackplate.  They hold the ducer firmly and protect them well !!!  Oh and you don't need a jackplate to mount it in the back of the boat.  Hope this helped a little.  :)

huston

I have the 788 Hd Di on the Bow with a 898 Si at the console and I would get the ethernet cable for the units, and the y cable for the thru hull and external transducer in the rear. You will need two transducers for the rear because the external will not read on plane. I did my own install and later had to re wire the 788 to a dedicated power supply because of TM interference. If you mount a transducer on the TM, I would get a guard for it also. None of this was an easy job, but if you are flexible, you can do it. Good Luck

REEL_MAN

I've installed several of the large transducered units this spring and all have had the si/di transducer mounted so that they they come out of the water so they don't get ripped off transom. I do install the shoot thru in the bilge with the Y cable (doesn't come with the Y cable). The real trick in locating the transducer on the transom is to locate it while on the water. It's not easy but when you locate the sweet spot you will be able to go closer to 6 mph. than the 4mph, just be careful you don't fall over board. If you want the si/di tranducer mounted on the trolling motor and you have a transducter in the lower unit it won't work with the si/di. You will need to mount the puck that comes with the unit. I do suggest you mount it with a guard just to protect and support the transducer. I made the one for Seth V. and it worked great.