Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:32:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Can we just get it done already...........

Started by ROI Outdoors, March 12, 2012, 08:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROI Outdoors

Bass fishing has an economic impact to the state of Michigan estimated at 400 million dollars; published by the DNR almost 10 years that number is most certainly a whole lot higher now.  What would that number look like if we were actually allowed to legally target bass when fishing is at its best??  Can we start bringing a little common sense to the discussion because the benefits of doing so would be huge. 

What are some of your opinions on the subject?  Where does tournament fishing fit into the mix?   
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

djkimmel

Maybe you should draw up some summary options and do a poll?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TheFishinPollock

Only  cash benifits i can see from that is  gas money and hotel rooms. Other than that  a  C&R  is jsut kinda dumb  . It happens before they ever start to  spawn up here .  They would end up  seperating  it by zones liek they do everything else.     

If ya research other states rules ours are pretty  easy and cheap
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Waterfoul

I don't have an issue with a Catch and Release season... but why is there ANY closed season?  Why can't a fisherman who wants to brave the cold early season weather, wind, rain and such go out and go fishing?  C&R from Jan. 1st till the Saturday before Mem. day.  Easy.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Cy

The only reason I can come up with there is closed season on bass at all is to protect the walleye and pike.  Both species spawn early in the spring at or around ice out.  I really don't think MDNRE gives a crap about bass or protecting the bass spawn, which is a good thing or we wouldn't be able to fish until July 1st.  We all know the MDRNE doesn't have the resources to enforce the laws they have now, but imagine them trying to enforce a catch bass but not pike and walleye law, impossible. 

The couple of reasonable solutions I can think of to protect pike and walleye would be catch and release year around and catch and keep starting April 1st or even May 1st for all species.  I think that would be reasonable and we could all start tournament season sooner.  The other option would be put special regulations on lakes with good populations of pike and walleye.  The issue there is those are some of the best bass fisheries too.  To only name a few that list would include, St Clair, Erie and the rivers, Muskegon, Hardy, Croton and the list goes on.

I don't know what the compromise needs to be but I agree with protecting our fish species from the meat fisherman of the state.  We already have almost unenforceable dates and size and possession limits now.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

dartag

This debate comes up every year.  look at the history of this topic.  By late April or June 1st it is dead because we are all out fishing.   Guess it is something to talk about though.   

ROI Outdoors

The History of the topic is disappointing but I won't stop until it's done.  It's already wasted enough of my time so I'm not going to stop moving the conversation forward.

See the attached bass mortality/seasonal studies that have been published over the years - the SALBRC is a must read simply due to its many erroneous assumptions; you'll understand after reading the entire thing why we still have the same outdated restrictions for the last 40 years.  Ironically SALBRC fails to embrace the one thing that every other mortality study I've been able to find stresses as the #1 mortality risk factor - TEMPERATURE.  I'm sure there are plenty of studies out there that support what the majority of the attached conclude - please add any other documentation to this post because I'd like to have a couple hundred pages of cited material to submit when its all said and done.

Consider the following........
"An estimate of the total economic impact of bass fishing activity in the state, $321 million annually, should be considered a minimum given that bass fishing is probably the most heavily marketed fishery of all species and most sponsored fishing tournaments are directed at bass (Schramm et al. 1991)."

"With more than 1,000 tournaments per year, Michigan ranks fourth in the nation, and is the only northern
state in the top-five tournament states (Kerr and Kamke 2003)."

Economically speaking what would it look like if we could hold tournaments as soon as the ice was gone?  How about an actual PRO GROWTH approach to the sport?  Share-a-lunker type programs, viable data collection, habitat/structure improvement, chemical weed management regulations, stocking recruiment, slot limits, Catch-Photo-Release contests, ect would all be relatively inexpensive ways to improve a sport that hasn't ever seen any improvement efforts to date.  The fact that Michigan stuffs more bass fishing tournaments into about a 90-day period (AND HOTTEST TIME OF THE YEAR which = THE HIGHEST MORTALITY) than some 46 other states do over an entire calendar year should alone be a sufficient reason to examine our current seasonal restrictions. 

Because legislative approval would be needed for any liberalization or lengthening of the bass season as compared to the current season we may as well go all-in.  I think proposing an additional license to simply possess bass (CDR) is the way to go - it would be optional so the whining would be minimal & it would provide a source of income in which to be able to begin implementating some sort of a management policy.  I would not hesitate to pay an additional $15-$20 per year to be able to fish a pre-spawn tourney on St. Clair in April - if there was a April 30th event on St. Clair you'd have 300 boats signed up in less than hour.  Guys that pay $15 or $20 bucks for an additional license are also far less likely to be out there targeting/violating the Pike & Walleye populations.  The impact would be monumentual from an economic standpoint - one business I know it would immediately impact is this site so do it for Dan if not for your country! 
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

djkimmel

People don't like to hear about more fees and licenses. SALBRC was partly ridiculous and colored by a number of things. Some of the people who were involved in producing it have retired or left their earlier positions back in the closet.

I will have a much better idea of what might be possible after my late April meeting with the MDNR. There are interesting business people who are also asking questions about are present bass season because they want more opportunity and tourism. For the first time that I've known, a county government is actively pursuing major tournaments for Michigan and almost everyone that needs to be on board is on board. I'm excited. I don't know what will happen. But I'm excited. I've been waiting for what might happen for a long time.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

good luck with the meeting hope we get to hear some good news.   

Team houston

ROI, isn't pike fishing open year round on St Clair?  I am with Dan on this, no more special fees or taxes. I f you added up all of them in your everyday life you would be amazed at what they come up with. Look at your cable bill close sometime.

Waterfoul

Don't forget to bring up the drop shot questions Dan!  If you'd like... I could come along... bring my drop shot rod and show them just how difficult it would be to actually target a trout/salmon with it in July on Muskegon Lake.  Especially since there really aren't any salmon in the lakeshore lakes in July!   :o
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Waterfoul on March 13, 2012, 06:29:40 PM
Don't forget to bring up the drop shot questions Dan!  If you'd like... I could come along... bring my drop shot rod and show them just how difficult it would be to actually target a trout/salmon with it in July on Muskegon Lake.  Especially since there really aren't any salmon in the lakeshore lakes in July!   :o

There have been times where the salmon have been in the PM Lake in July..... just sayin   lolololol   But I'm on-board for drop shottin  !!!

djkimmel

You can always jump in on the drop shot issue. Just get some of your local CO's to say it isn't an issue and then call Lansing Fisheries and Law Enforcement with the names and comments. That might do it. Not sure I'll get a chance at this meeting. Maybe. Probably not. Maybe later though. Could be tough enough on the season issue if lots of fear of change shows up again. Just keep telling anglers you meet that all the existing studies show there is no need for a closed bass season. It does help.