Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:46:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lake St. Claire fishing trip June 23

Started by PABassfish, February 13, 2012, 12:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PABassfish

Hello everyone my name is Mike. I'm from Pennsylvania and am making a fishing trip up to Lake St. Claire on June 23. We only found a campground with boat docks on the Ontario side in Mitchell's bay so that is where were planning on staying. And from what I've read the season in Canada doesn't start until the 4Th Saturday in June, so that's when were going. I was wondering what stage the fish will be in? Early postspawn? I would just like to know if this is a good time to fish the lake. I would greatly appreciate any help Ive heard nothing but good things about this lake, and I sure love smallmouth. Thanks a lot everybody.

fiker

It is a good time to be there.  Depending on the Spring weather of course. 
I usually like to fish that south shore of Clair right after the opener.   Lots of dark easy to spot rock piles. 

Throw to the dark spots Luke........

The south shore is a long ride from Mitchell's bay though.  I"ve never fished the Bay but hear that's good too.  Just be aware of where the Walpole waters are.  They require a separate license than the Ontario license.   

Others on here that have fished the Bay can help you out more.  My guess is rock piles, and places where sand meets weeds. 

As far as stage that the fish are in it's going to depend on weather and light.
There are several places on line where you can keep track of weather.  You can also find a couple of places where you can see satellite pics of Clair that if we have clear skies will show if there are mud lines and such.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Team houston

Fishing in June is probable the best month for #s of fish. You should not have any trouble. Just cover water and if you catch one there are more in the area.

Jay-MadWags

There is no bad time to fish Lake St. Clair.  Fish should be in all stages by that time.  You catch them on just about anything.  In the last week of June I've caught them in 2 feet sight fishing and 15 feet cranking.  Fish to your strengths, good luck and have fun.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

PABassfish

Hey thanks a lot. Didn't expect some help that fast. I am set on going now thank you, and i will further look into the specifics of Mitchells bay. Smallmouths are my favorite fish and i have high expectations this trip will be one to remember.
Thanks, Mike

djkimmel

There will be bass on beds and there will be lots of empty beds. They don't go far that time of year. Usually the first good piece of cover out from the bedding area - mostly sand and reeds in that corner of the lake to the West or South. Not much rock. You may find a ton of largemouth too if you find the right weed beds.

If you see saplings with no branches sticking up out of the water, inside that line to shore and up channels like the Johnston, Chematogen and Basset over to the Canadian side of Seaway island is all Walpole reservation land and requires their license too.

There could be some good fishing inside those areas but you can find plenty outside farther on the sand flats around weed clumps and down the East shore without heading West into Walpole land if you don't want to buy the extra license.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

PABassfish

Yeah I was looking at some google earth photos and the area around the Wapole Islands looks quite cool. I don't mind paying the extra 20 bucks or so. Maybe a little less pressure in there too? And hows the scenery around Mitchells bay and the Wapole Islands?

Mojo

If you head South - You'll only need to go as far as the Belle hump - spinnerbait, noisy cranks, rattle traps like Strike King red eye shad, Perfect Plastics white jerk baits are fun once you find a school of 30 or so. Spawners will be anywhere from 5 all the way out to 15 fow so ..... like Fiker said, throw to the dark stuff lol -

If you move out in 11 - 13 fow, try Tubes, (Xtrem bass tackle - Sandcraw is a great color for spring on the CA shores).....  drop shot (Nemesis gobies or Nemesis sickos in canadian mist of black pepper green pumpkin). Go after bigger fish with deeper cranks (strike king 4 or 5 XD sexy shad or rootbeer chartruese or perch) once you're tired of catching 3 lbrs.

If you look on this site for Combat Fishing, Wayne Carpenter has two books, Vol 1 and Vol 2. Both have great info on LSC, and have waypoints for CA.
Good luck and watch this site - help flies in from everywhere as the opening days get near. That's why this is the greatest website for lake st Clair.

Mojo Rollin

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

robeng53

Wayne Carpenters Video "No Secrets on Lake St. Clair" is excellent and can be a compliment to the books or stand alone as fun and informative to watch.  The 3 gentlemen on that video all fish Lake St. Clair.  Purchase it or the books from this website too.  (GreatLakesBass.com)

PABassfish

Does the video talk about specific spots around Mitchells bay? My boat goes about 35 so i can make any very long runs

djkimmel

If you have specific questions about the DVD, call Wayne Carpenter at 877-485-2223. He would be the best source for the value of the DVD to any particular part of the lake. It covers quite a few known areas and many tactics to catch bass around the great lake!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.