Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:39:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Mud Puppy die off info along with some fish die off update

Started by djkimmel, August 02, 2006, 03:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Reelin Realtor was kind enough to point out this recent article on the mud puppy die off occuring in the Detroit River and Lake Erie. I was witness to a large number of dead mud puppies, more than I have ever seen by far, during a trip to the Detroit River and Lake Erie on July 4th of this year. cameraguy and I came across quite a few floating across the river mouth and south, and also quite a few miles out along the north shore of Erie. By the end of the day it was... well, eerie.

Here's the link to the Detroit Free Press article by outdoor writer Eric Sharp:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006607230644

Here's a couple of the dead mud puppies we saw - most caught in large grass mats, but some just floating along without other debris.

Mud Puppy near the river mouth

This large one was seen 3 or 4 miles out along the north shore of Lake Erie

It almost seemed like every grass mat had at least one dead mud puppy on it. The possible causes of this latest die off are very troubling. There is also more info in the article on why so many fish around the SE Great Lakes died off. I still need to look into some more remote fish kills/die offs.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

smbassman

I didn't really catch the coincedence, but I did see a lot of dead sheepshead out on Erie.  I just assumed it was frustrated anglers killing them when they were not catching bass.  According to the recent article and several others that I found from the past, the sheepshead are also dieing off from the same conditions that are killing the mudpuppies.  Has there ever been links to dead smallmouth due to the botulism that was suspected in the past?  I never saw any mention of either walleye or bass in the articles I found.

djkimmel

There weren't a lot of dead walleye and the dead bass mostly showed up in shallow canals more than the open water, so the MDNR was thinking that was more related to the extreme weather changes we had. We would have seen a lot more dead fish out in the main lake than we did as far as bass and walleye.

The muskies got all the attention because a big dead musky really sticks out and they already had the one disease that has been hurting the muskies the past couple of seasons.

They think the Great Lakes die off of so many big sheephead and some other fish was caused by a hemorrhagic infection actually, not the botulinum bacteria, but it's pretty obvious the various agencies are still trying to figure all this out.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Genie

Dan - that mud puppy looked like you after the trip down the river at the BFL ... :P
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

djkimmel

Which one - the skinny one or the fat one?? I know I felt belly up after this past weekend...