Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:50:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Hbird/Fortrex

Started by StarBoard7, February 18, 2012, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarBoard7

Hello all,

I have a MK Fortrex with the built in transducer.

I am looking to upgrade my electronics and go with one of the Hbird units at the bow probably one of the 700 series Side imaging or HD down imaging.

My question is will I have to run an external transducer to work with these units and will I have any problems doing so? (Interference,installing ect)

I kind of figure with the SI I almost certainly will but not sure about the HD Down imaging?

Thnaks

StarBoard7

Also are you able to use the high speed ethernet connection with the 798ci HD SI Combo and the 898c SI Combo?

I know you can use the interlink but I am not sure about ethernet?

Thanks

Redbone

I will be purchasing a new trolling motor before spring.  So I have been trying to do some research.  It looks like side and down imaging are not compatable with the TM that have the ducers built in.  For this reason I doubt I will purchase a motor with a ducer built in.

This is just a guess, but the ethernet connection should go between units.  This should not have anything to do with the TM.  But I could be told differently.

1javelin

Someone else will comment I'm sure, but the ethernet I believe needs a connector to make it compatible with the ethernet cable.  And, I don't think you really need SI at the trolling motor, all I ever used up there was gps and down-imaging.  That thought could save you a few dollars.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

StarBoard7

I have contacted HB but have not heard back yet.
Anyway I now know the built in transducer on the fortrex will not work with the HB si or di untis as far as the us2 transducer will not work and thats kind of what I figured.
However I need to figure out if I can still use a unit like the 898c si combo with fortrex if it is just mounted the standard way? (external)

Just wondering if the internal fortrex transducer (not in use) will casue a problem or if there may be a mounting problem ect.

Cy

Joe,

You will not have problems mounting a transducer on a TM with the US2 built in.  If you use the transom mount transducer that comes with the unit you can use this http://store.humminbird.com/products/271631/AD_XTM_9 to mount on the TM.    If you want a trolling motor transducer HB makes a couple of SI and DI transducers for the TM http://store.humminbird.com/category/488348/Down_Imaging 

It looks like the 898csi and the newer 798ci HD SI will support Ethernet between them.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Waterfoul

Quote from: Cy on February 20, 2012, 11:51:33 AM
Joe,

You will not have problems mounting a transducer on a TM with the US2 built in.  If you use the transom mount transducer that comes with the unit you can use this http://store.humminbird.com/products/271631/AD_XTM_9 to mount on the TM.    If you want a trolling motor transducer HB makes a couple of SI and DI transducers for the TM http://store.humminbird.com/category/488348/Down_Imaging 

It looks like the 898csi and the newer 798ci HD SI will support Ethernet between them.

Cy

Although I may have put it more eloquently, Cy has answered your questions with his post.  :D

Side imaging on the bow is a bit of a trade off.  When the motor is turning you will get a blurry image at best, unless you can turn it very slowly.  I personally wouldn't bother with SI on the bow.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Have you seen the new Humminbird 360? Wow! I could have used that 20 years ago when I was trying to figure out what was down there!! I wonder who will be the first person on GLBass to get one?!?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

markgoetsch

I liked the idea of the 360 but I think humminbird did this one wrong.  There has to be a better way than hanging another pole off the back of your boat. 

Cy

Quote from: markgoetsch on February 24, 2012, 07:51:13 AM
I liked the idea of the 360 but I think humminbird did this one wrong.  There has to be a better way than hanging another pole off the back of your boat. 

I completely agree with that.  I think in the near future some kind of better mounting solution will come along and make this a really great solution.

I also can't see spending $4K to replace the $2K I already have into my SI unit.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

1javelin

Some of you may remember a few years ago when Icame up with this idea of 360 degree sonar in the first place.  I had the plan of going to engineering school and designing it so that as you stand on the front of the boat, you can see a layout of 360 degrees around you as the bottom actually appears.  Too bad I got out of engineering and was a few years behind, at that price I could be a very wealthy man right now.  Maybe in the future, not right now for me though.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Waterfoul

Again, Cy and I agree.  :D

Quote from: Cy on February 24, 2012, 09:14:20 AM
Quote from: markgoetsch on February 24, 2012, 07:51:13 AM

I also can't see spending $4K to replace the $2K I already have into my SI unit.

Cy

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

StarBoard7

Will the 360 be compatible with the current SI models?
When are they suppose to come out are you guys saying that they are going to cost 4,000 per unit or just for the transducer?

Yeah I agree also about the pole transducer .....fishing erie I like to have less things to break ........... but it does look awesome.