Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:41:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Hummingbird VS Lowrance

Started by Jay-MadWags, January 28, 2012, 02:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay-MadWags

I have a SD card that has GPS waypoints from a Lowrance unit.  My first question is. . .
Can I transfer those GPS waypoints to a Hummingbird unit?  My second question is. . .
Who makes the better GPS, Side imaging unit??

Thanks
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

GPaquette

Yes, you can transfer them. If you have a map chip the GPS is the same basically, if not I'd give the advantage to Lowrance. Humminbird has better side scan IMO. The bigger screen the better when it comes to sidescan.

Waterfoul

You should be able to transfer your waypoints to a Humminbird.

As for which is best... Humminbird all the way.  Much better customer service, free updates as they occur (Lowrance does not offer updates to their units unless you pay for it), and the Lakemaster chips (Lakemaster is owned by Humminbird) are excellent.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bob o

Quote from: Jay-MadWags on January 28, 2012, 02:06:23 PM
I have a SD card that has GPS waypoints from a Lowrance unit.  My first question is. . .
Can I transfer those GPS waypoints to a Hummingbird unit?  My second question is. . .
Who makes the better GPS, Side imaging unit??

Thanks
the future is near
http://www.raymarine.com/default.aspx?site=1&section=2&page=2016
the ipad will soon take over the world, ha

Eric

I was able to use both extensively during the Sandusky Open last summer.  My buddy from Georgia wanted to practice together, so some days we took my boat and some days we took his.  One boat had one and one had the other.  The Lowrance is cooler looking.  I think the sonar was a littel better on the Lowrance.  The side imaging was probably a little better on the Lowrance, but the difference in negligible.  The colors are better on teh Lowrance.  The Humminbird is WAY easier to use and more user friendly overall.  The Lowrance repsonded quite slowly each time you would hit a button.  That is my biggest complaint.  Humminbird's instant and Lowrance takes too long.  No difference in GPS quality or accuracy.  These are just my opinions from a user perspective.  I don't think you could go wrong with either one if you had a personal preference.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Big dreams

Quote from: Eric on January 31, 2012, 10:11:17 AM
I was able to use both extensively during the Sandusky Open last summer.  My buddy from Georgia wanted to practice together, so some days we took my boat and some days we took his.  One boat had one and one had the other.  The Lowrance is cooler looking.  I think the sonar was a littel better on the Lowrance.  The side imaging was probably a little better on the Lowrance, but the difference in negligible.  The colors are better on teh Lowrance.  The Humminbird is WAY easier to use and more user friendly overall.  The Lowrance repsonded quite slowly each time you would hit a button.  That is my biggest complaint.  Humminbird's instant and Lowrance takes too long.  No difference in GPS quality or accuracy.  These are just my opinions from a user perspective.  I don't think you could go wrong with either one if you had a personal preference.

I had/have the Lowrance HDS-5 and the part about taking a long time after you hit a button is 100% accurate.  The new Lowrance Gen2 HDS series is totally different though.  I just purchased the HDS-8 bundle from Cabelas and you would be amazed on how responsive the Gen2 series is compaired to the Gen1.  Night and day difference.  Hummingbird might have better customer service but Lowrance does not need customer service :)  so you be the judge.  Take that all you HB lovers! lol

Big dreams

geez guys, don't take it personal.  I know there are a ton of HB guys out there.  Relax and take a deep breath!

t-bone

You don't pay for Lowrance updates either. I'm not sure what that was referring to. If updated my software for free multiple times and it has given me more features and color options. Some of the upgraded features were pretty sophisticated.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel

I do believe companies love the kind of loyalty that gets anglers butting heads. And you're paying THEM! I'm making the switch to Humminbird myself... slowly. I still have a Lowrance flasher in the dash and a old Lowrance next to the console but I have a much newer Humminbird 767 on the bow - that's what my budget allowed at the time - and it is very accurate and easy to use. I haven't had much need for customer service but I do like that I can get through and ask questions.

I thought it was pretty cool that one of their high ranking officers came on here a while back and posted his email address saying people could contact him directly with questions. That's service! I appreciate that they sometimes take the time to read comments on here. That shows they want to know what customers think. Much appreciated.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Redbone

Quote from: djkimmel on February 02, 2012, 01:05:37 PM
I thought it was pretty cool that one of their high ranking officers came on here a while back and posted his email address saying people could contact him directly with questions. That's service! I appreciate that they sometimes take the time to read comments on here. That shows they want to know what customers think. Much appreciated.

Between that and BrianP's posts!  One of the many reasons that my next purchase will be a HB.

djkimmel

That's great to hear. BryanP gives a lot of time up to help on Humminbird technical questions and I always hope that some people show that appreciation in return. Thank you!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.