Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:44:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

How much has...

Started by Redbone, January 24, 2012, 06:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbone

Thinking about electronics again. Trying to justify SI.

How much has side imaging helped you catch fish?  One or two key times?  Everytime your on the water?  I can see it being a powerfull tool.  But I also see the novelty of it and I'm a little worried that it will be a distraction from actually fishing. Has it helped your game? Any input would be huge.

Waterfoul

SI has helped me many, many times over the 2 years I've had it on my boat.  Found things on lakes I've been fishing for years that I never knew was there.  It's a great too for finding those rocks, logs, weeds where the fish live.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

fishstick

Its been big for me many times this year. I find it most useful when scanning expansive deeper flats for weed growth or other structure. It makes it so much easier to break down an big area. Easy to throw waypoints in and then go back and check things later. It saved me a lot of time when practicing on new fisheries and of course you'll see things down there that you would never expect!

Redbone

It would be alot cooler if it would put 5 fish in my boat when I fished Hardy!  ;D

I'm still swaying both directions.  I'm really thinking about just going with an HD unit instead of getting the SI. :-\'

LennyB

What SI is good for is finding the little, or big patches of anything off to the side that you would of probably went by had you not had it. An example is last spring, I was on a lake and after beating the bank all the way around a cove I idled across the middle of it while scanning 100 feet to the side. It picked up a weed patch in the middle of no were and the fish were stacked in it. I would have never found them with out it.

djkimmel

I found out exactly how the bridge on Lake Ovid lays and realized I'd been fishing it wrong all these years thanks to one trip out there with Genie. Founds some isolated logs. I've never been good at picturing the bottom in my mind based on other electronics. With side imaging, you get an actual picture.

I wish I had this years ago when I fished lots of tournaments. Now I just want it to find all those nuances we miss and to get that actual picture. I'll buy one the day I can afford it. That would be my advice - if you can afford it, get it. Huge corner cutter. If I was B.A.S.S. and using their angler committee thought processes I would ban side imaging from the Elite Series and Classic, not the Alabama Rig.

Personally, I wouldn't ban any technology unless it makes fish jump in the boat or something like that.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

2k JIGS

Redbone, you are going to have to get out of the pads for SI to work....hahaha!

djkimmel

Real early or late in the year, you still might find a stump or some logs! It never ceases to amaze me the things you can learn with side imaging!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

thedude

if you're gonna spend more than 200 bucks on a graph, you should get SI. the way i see it is the HDs are nice, but with a little practice, you can see everything you'd ever want to see on a 150 dollar black and white eagle - i used to use one for ice fishing and out of the box i could mark a single tear drop in 45+ FOW.... that's all the HD i need.  I see no benefit to the higher dollar HD units compared to a cheaper color graph (and i have actually used an HD a few times). SI on the other hand helps you find and better define offshore structure and even schools of bait fish, where they are suspended. It won't put fish in your boat, but it takes a lot of the guess work out of what you are fishing.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

LGMOUTH

Quote from: thedude on January 24, 2012, 11:21:29 PM
It won't put fish in your boat,

Thats what the Alabama rig is for.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

Redbone

Quote from: 2k JIGS on January 24, 2012, 11:11:54 PM
Redbone, you are going to have to get out of the pads for SI to work....hahaha!

I'm like a fat kid in a candy store when I get around that stuff.  :D

thedude

Quote from: LGMOUTH on January 24, 2012, 11:31:42 PM
Quote from: thedude on January 24, 2012, 11:21:29 PM
It won't put fish in your boat,

Thats what the Alabama rig is for.

you can see your a-rig on the SI and watch fish hit it.

no joke - first time i ran my si, i put on my buddies lund and we hit St. Joe for cohos. I was marking pods of fish off the sides of the boat as we trolled and was able to "call the shot" on several occasions knowing the fish were inline with one of the planar boards... it was pretty cool
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cy

I don't think you can go wrong with an SI unit, but it won't change the way you fish.  It will change the way you look at a lake, it's up to you to change the way you fish it.  I have found more stuff using my SI unit then I would have ever imagined.  Objects that look like a pile of crap on the bottom on standard sonar are clearly wood or rock or other things on SI or DI.  The main reason you want SI is so you can see the bottom several hundred feet either side of your boat.  Your effective range of you sonar is increased 100 times instantly.  I have had SI for 3 years now I think and I will never not have it.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net