Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:15:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Oldschool Electronics info?? And a couple questions.

Started by KLAKE, December 24, 2011, 12:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLAKE

I actually traded "down" a color Lowrance unit, for a bigger screen black/white sonar/GPS unit from Lowrance.
And then bought a second black/white unit.

I start school fulltime when the boys go back to school after Christmas, and won't be able to upgrade for a few more years yet.

I have a LCX-15m/t, and an X135.

If anyone has advice/tips, etc I'm all ears. The color unit was pretty simple to operate and worked well, but I have never owned a black/white unit till now.

A couple questions.
Which will give the better, or more accurate display. Lower sensitivity settings to eliminate surface clutter, or higher sensitivity settings with the surface clutter turned on low or medium?

Is there any reason to NOT slow down chart speed?\
Is there any reason TO slow down the ping speed.

My last boat, I had interference issues on the bow mount unit. So, with that said I'm all ears on ways to reduce interference on the bow mounted unit.

Any time you can take to comment is appreciated.

And MERRY CHRISTMAS

Manxfishing

I ran black and white screens
They work the same as color, only that instead of the preety colors your
in gray scale, better marks or harder surfaces are dark and smaller fish or soft bottom are light gray

I myself run the chart speed and ping speed at 100
sensitivity wise, i never use auto
Running or shallow i'm around 50 and on the trolling motor or deeper I'm around 75%
I like to see a little surface clutter or wave noise

If there's interference in the front screen
I'd make sure your wired direct to the cranking batt. If your wired to the trolling batt. you can get that. The other thought would be to turn off the
screen in the back. The transducers might be over lapping and causing it

But black/white or color both work the same way
they just show up different on the screen
I'd say black/white draws less juice and there easier to see in all light conditions. The color units can get hard to see in bright light

Good luck

KLAKE

Quote from: Manxfishing on December 25, 2011, 11:24:20 AM
I ran black and white screens
They work the same as color, only that instead of the preety colors your
in gray scale, better marks or harder surfaces are dark and smaller fish or soft bottom are light gray

I myself run the chart speed and ping speed at 100
sensitivity wise, i never use auto
Running or shallow i'm around 50 and on the trolling motor or deeper I'm around 75%
I like to see a little surface clutter or wave noise

If there's interference in the front screen
I'd make sure your wired direct to the cranking batt. If your wired to the trolling batt. you can get that. The other thought would be to turn off the
screen in the back. The transducers might be over lapping and causing it

But black/white or color both work the same way
they just show up different on the screen
I'd say black/white draws less juice and there easier to see in all light conditions. The color units can get hard to see in bright light

Good luck

The front unit on the last boat was a Black/White unit too, but a lower end Lowrance. I got quite a bit of interference with it.

That unit was mounted to the fuse box under the console. The x102c was wired to the battery.

I know at least some boat builders wire to the fuse block, but I think it might be a good idea to wire both units direct to the battery.

I know it's common practice, but still wondering if wiring both units to the same battery can cause any kind of interference.

One other thing that may have caused problems, was the unit was mounted up near a M/K Powerdrive electric steer trolling motor. The wire was run through the coiled power wire, and then down the bottom half of the shaft.

I just switched to a cable steer Motorguide (after years of M/K Electric steer) so maybe that will help to eliminate some interference.

One of the things I'm looking at in an old Bassin' magazine, is an article sidebar on electronics. Actually dealing with the LCX-15
it says "He also improves clarity on his LCD screen by reducing interference from his unit. This is achieeved by placing a rubber sleeve around his trolling motor, and attaching a ground wire from the back of his transducer to the ground wire of his trolling motor."

When reading that all I think is huh?

Thoughts on that??

1javelin

Straight from the mouth of a VanDam, you are going to get trolling motor interference if your transducer is on your trolling motor.  You can't completely remove it.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Ranger482v

Quote from: 1javelin on December 25, 2011, 01:51:47 PM
Straight from the mouth of a VanDam, you are going to get trolling motor interference if your transducer is on your trolling motor.  You can't completely remove it.

1jav
Thats right

Redbone

What about the ducers that are built inside the trolling motor?

Cy

Quote from: Redbone on December 27, 2011, 05:27:12 AM
What about the ducers that are built inside the trolling motor?

My MK has the transducer built in and I don't get interference at the bow mount unit but I do on the console unit when the TM is running.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Firefighter Jeff

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!