Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:46:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Anyone pulling a bass rig w/ a Colorado or Canyon?

Started by bigjc, December 09, 2011, 11:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjc

I have been looking at replacing my silverado.  Has anyone pulled their bass rig with a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon? 

If so, how has it performed?

Mike S.

I only know 2 people that have had them.  They both say they would never go back to a mid size truck. They bought them to save gas, and both say there wasn't enough savings to make it worth while.  Both went back to full size trucks.  As far as towing, I never got into that with them.  One went to a 1 ton Ram diesel, and the other to an 09 Silverado 1/2 ton.

I have several buddies that are running diesels now, and get better gas mileage towing than I do running empty with my Silverado.  It is amazing what a programmer and some relatively inexpensive upgrades can do to a diesel. Not to mention, it's pretty cool when a big truck can slam you back in the seat.

I don't know if you are looking to save gas money, or just make room in the garage, but I would definitely do a lot of researching before moving to a smaller vehicle.  Don't know what you have for a boat, but if you're pulling a 20 footer or bigger, I'd want as much vehicle in front of it as possible.  Going isn't a big issue, stopping is the scary one.  Just my 2 cents.

bigjc

Well said Mike, and I agree.  I do a have a bit of a unique need, as my narrow drive way and approach really prevent me from going with a truck with a long wheel base.  In fact I ordered my current boat ( a 19' 5" Legend) with a single axel trailer, just because of my tight turn into my drive, and the fact that I am almost always navigating around other vehicles in the street.

I pull now with a 1/2 ton reg. cab. short box Silverado,  which works pretty well, and gets decent milage but is two wheel drive and i could really use a ex. cab 4x4.

Oh well, my buddy says "go with what you need 90% of the time."

KLAKE

Quote from: mikeszr800 on December 10, 2011, 11:34:29 AM
I only know 2 people that have had them.  They both say they would never go back to a mid size truck. They bought them to save gas, and both say there wasn't enough savings to make it worth while.  Both went back to full size trucks.  As far as towing, I never got into that with them.  One went to a 1 ton Ram diesel, and the other to an 09 Silverado 1/2 ton.

I have several buddies that are running diesels now, and get better gas mileage towing than I do running empty with my Silverado.  It is amazing what a programmer and some relatively inexpensive upgrades can do to a diesel. Not to mention, it's pretty cool when a big truck can slam you back in the seat.

I don't know if you are looking to save gas money, or just make room in the garage, but I would definitely do a lot of researching before moving to a smaller vehicle.  Don't know what you have for a boat, but if you're pulling a 20 footer or bigger, I'd want as much vehicle in front of it as possible.  Going isn't a big issue, stopping is the scary one.  Just my 2 cents.

I'll add my 2 cents here...

Seems like guys are always exaggerating diesel fuel mileage numbers. They 'want' to believe that they are getting great mileage because of the expense of buying/fueling.

I had a crew cab 4x4 Duramax LLY, I averaged around 18 on the highway. That is as in an hour to several hours on a freeway.
Day to day driving 14.7mpg

Towing 6000lb 14.5 highway.

Always drove easy, always with fuel additive, on stock tires, etc.

285 tires made the mileage drop about 1mpg.

Again take it for what it's worth but those were my real world numbers. The savings didn't make up for the extra cost by any means.

1javelin

I pulled my 20' Javelin with a 4 door S-10 for a few years, from Georgia and Arkansas and all over the state of Michigan.  It was a lot easier to park and back up, but man did you know the boat was behind you.  If you do that, I would recommend having a transmission cooler on it and possible upgrading your brakes to a higher quality rotor and pad, as the hill coming down in Traverse City to the bay made my brakes smoke every time.  Gas mileage really sucked, averaged 18 but only 11-12 with the boat on the back, with a 4.3 Vortec.  If I were you I would probably try a straight cab short bed diesel.  You should be able to crank some good mileage out of that saving you money in the long run, but pulling with a small truck is completely legit.  They're rated around 6,000 pounds, a loaded boat is probably in the 3-4 range, so figure wise it adds up.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Mike S.

I rode to LSC with Don Watts last year in his diesel, with his boat in tow. He stopped for fuel on the way home, not far from his house, and only put $75 in his truck, as I recall. I remember being blown away by that. That sure is a lot better than the almost 50 gallons my Silverado burned towing a boat over there.

I don't know, I don't own a diesel, but the guys I know that have them and run programmers on them, are very happy with them. But regardless, as was stated, you buy what you need. I personally would not be comfortable towing in anything less than a half ton 4x4. Good luck on your decision.

bigjc

SethV

Quote from: bigjc on December 14, 2011, 11:01:57 PM
Well said Mike, and I agree.  I do a have a bit of a unique need, as my narrow drive way and approach really prevent me from going with a truck with a long wheel base.  In fact I ordered my current boat ( a 19' 5" Legend) with a single axel trailer, just because of my tight turn into my drive, and the fact that I am almost always navigating around other vehicles in the street.

Sounds like you need a Tahoe!  Nice short wheel base, but tows fantastic.  Be sure to get the backup camera option - makes hooking up super simple, even at tight angles.

bigjc

Yeah Seth,  many times, I have contemplated switch to an SUV, of which Tahoe would be my suv of choice, but I am just not ready to give up my P/U.  I have a big family, which makes the Tahoe work even better, but i hate the idea of not owning a P/U.  I guess you just cannot have it all.
Really, I could just use an additional half acre w/ a pole barn!

Oh well, I may just keep the siverado for another year.