Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:03:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What the Pros are saying about their SHO

Started by djkimmel, November 13, 2011, 02:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I'm very  glad I got my Yamaha VMAX HPDI. Never had one single tiny issue with it and it always starts! I don't fish as much as I used to and the budget is tighter than tight so being able to count on my outboard is critical.

I've test driven their newest motor - the Yamaha VMAX SHO which appears to be a revolutionary advancement in 4-stroke technology with the first real high performance, tournament quality 4-stroke bass boat outboard that can compete with 2-stroke motors in weight, hole-shot and speed in one package while giving the benefits of a 4-stroke motor. So far, I'm nothing but impressed by this new direction in outboards!

Here is what the pros are saying about their Yamaha VMAX SHO engines: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/vmax_micro/thepros/

I think this outboard cut years off the advancement of outboard technology for performance bass boats! I expect if I ever get a new bass boat, it will be my next motor!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Yamaha led the way in Four Stroke Technology in the Motocross world so it doesn't surprise me to see them doing the same thing in Outboards..
Yamahas may not have always been the fastest but they were very reliable engines in Motorcycles....
There were lots of naysayers when 4 strokes came on the scene in MX...Now if you aren't on one you aren't competitive....I would bet the same thing will happen in the Bass World within the decade.....
I am a 2 stroke guy...I currently have a 2 stroke Motocross bike...but the writing is on the wall....

LennyB

I think they are a great motor, however, the only issue I have found with them, is a dealer who sells both Mercury and Yamaha, told me the (Yamaha SHO 250) cannot be rebuilt. I think if this is true, it may be an issue down the road when trying to sell a boat that cost $10k more than the same boat with a Mercury 250ProXS which can be rebuilt. I don't know if I would buy a 10 year old used rig that has a limited life on the motor and no chance to rebuild??? I was considering buying a new rig and this issue led me back to Mercury.

djkimmel

First I've heard that? I'll have to check into it. I'm expecting prices to moderate as the technology gets 'older' and with more competition maybe.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Pro's get paid to say good things about there motors.   

i do like my 4 stroke merc on my pontoon boat.  Change the oil and filter each year and you are good to go.

djkimmel

Some companies make it real easy to say good things about them. I like those companies.

LennyB

QuoteFirst I've heard that? I'll have to check into it.

If you can and have the time, call Yamaha direct. They would probably be the best source as to wether their SHO block can be bored out.

Mike S.

Yamaha definitely has the four stroke thing down.  I bought one of their yfz450 quads, and it was a ripper.  Their big bore and short stroke combination is awesome.  I've never experienced their 4 stroke outboard, but the quad revs just as fast as their 2 strokes, and had explosive power, not the doggy power that a lot of 4 strokes had in the past.  I can't believe they would build a motor that couldn't be rebuilt.  That doesn't make sense to me.  All I do know, is that 4 stroke parts are NOT cheap to buy.  I know what it cost to rebuild the top end on my quad, I couldn't imagine the price to rebuild an outboard.  I will leave that to you rich guys! ;D

djkimmel

Quote from: MBFT on November 16, 2011, 06:24:13 AM
QuoteFirst I've heard that? I'll have to check into it.

If you can and have the time, call Yamaha direct. They would probably be the best source as to wether their SHO block can be bored out.

I have it on my todo list to talk to the techs in general. There's some good knowledge out there that might be helpful to others, and I always like to learn more from the best sources.