Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:43:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bassmaster July/Aug smallie lake

Started by robhj, July 10, 2011, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robhj

Just curious if anyone knew which lakes were featured in the "day on the lake" article in this months Bassmaster. It stated it was northern MI & at first I thought they were on Elk/Skegemog except for the lakes were separated by a small river.

tjrock

I actually just read that today and I don't remember them actually saying the lakes were in Michigan. I believe all they said is that they were headed north to smallmouth country.

eetz

I don't have my issue in front of me, but they don't mention that it is in Michigan in the Day on the Lake article. 

The gentleman who is fishing though, he has an article toward the end of the magazine where he discusses his nervousness in doing the "day on the lake" and in that article he says it is in Michigan. 

I'm curious about this too! 

djkimmel

Haven't read it yet... I just know there's a lot of bigtime bass angling going on in Michigan nowadays!! Who was the angler?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mojo

I wonder if the small river between was connecting Lake Cadillac and Lake Mitchell ?   ???
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

LennyB

Last year Chris Lane was the featured angler and it was probably on the same two lakes. Then they said the first lake was dingy but after idling thru the connecting channel the second lake was gin clear and full of bedding smallmouth. They didn't mention the name of the lakes however, just said smallmouth country also.

djkimmel

That sounds like my type of fishing - a mix of dingy lake and clear lake connected together. I like mixed waters!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Haven't been to Cadillac and Mitchell before but it doesn't look like it would take 20 minutes to idle that channel, does it? The description doesn't match what I've heard about the lakes and I believe they could have just as easily launched on Cadillac whereas the article made it sound like you had to launch on the tannic-stained water full of wood.

Didn't sound really like any two connected lakes I could think of right away in Michigan actually. Haven't read the Chris Lane one yet. Wow! Am I behind in my magazines...

I did however see a pretty hot largemouth lake somewhere in Michigan that a certain MBFT was fishing with some film-type people that looked pretty darn good! See my other post about the video titled - I know this guy or similar ;D

thedude

it was the same lake(s) as lane was on and i believe in his day on the lake they said it was in MI.  My guess was skeg/torch.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

That sounds like a pretty good guess and actually does match a lot of the clues (though I sometimes wonder if they purposefully drop some misinformation in these things). I wonder though why they wouldn't just go over to Elk? Unless Elk was 'off limits.'

Torch can be tough in the summer. Been a while though for me. I used to catch some bass in up to 35 feet of water under schools of small perch. Not my favorite kind of fishing.

If it was Skeg and Torch I would definitely stay in Skeg to fish shallower for more active bass. They must think all the bass leave Skeg or something. Some do, but many don't. I've caught them in the summer there and been with others who have done real good. I used to like the narrows between Elk and Skeg back in the old days when the old federation had some fishoffs up there in the summer. I did better on Elk than Skeg though and not real deep either.