Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:03:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Locating boat launches

Started by fiker, June 05, 2011, 10:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiker

When trying to find a launch on a lake you've never been to before, how do you do it?

I don't have a great way.  What would be nice is to just put an address into my auto's GPS.  I can't find a site that lists addresses though.

The best I've come up with is to search on Google Earth, put the cursor over the entrance to the ramp, and copy down the lat/long.  This I can put into my GPS. 

But there's got to be a better way I haven't found yet. 

Any body out there got a better technique?
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Bender

I think that the launches show up on the map if you have the Navionics chip. But you better check them out on Google Earth or something first. I have had it lead me to small, brush covered openings that might have been suitable for launching a canoe.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

djkimmel

For MDNR ramps anyway, try this website - http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MRBIS/

You can search a number of ways.

When you click on the name of the access site you get coordinates such as Coordinates: Lat:45.221369, Lon:-85.018093 for Boyne City.

You can also get a small lake map that you can zoom in and out of. Not only do you get contours on the lake but it shows you on the same map the roads and where the access site is in relation.

Hard to get actual street addresses for public access site but they are out there. Can't remember how I do it at the moment. Bed time now but that should get you in a happier place.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

Thanks Dan.  With my auto GPS, I can plug in the lat long and find it.

dartag

t-bone

There is a good IPhone application called "Boat Ramps" that will show you all the boat ramps in the area.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Skulley

Quote from: t-bone on June 06, 2011, 08:30:28 AM
There is a good IPhone application called "Boat Ramps" that will show you all the boat ramps in the area.

I have the "Boat Ramps" App on my iPhone. It's great. It had ramps on the mile roads as well as the Grosse Pointes that I didn't even know were there. If you have an iPhone, I highly recommend the "Boat Ramps" App.

BD.                           ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Redbone

I just downloaded this app on my android.  There are alot of launches for bigger bodies of water.  I'm thinking this app will definetly come in handy on a few trips.  For a free app everyone should have this one!

Firefighter Jeff

I also have the boat launch app for my Iphone.  Be careful, I have noticed some of the written directions to the launches have errors.   :-\'

Bender

I downloaded the app also. It only shows 3 of 11 boat ramps in my area that I can think of off the top of my head. In Michigan it seems a little better but some of the ramps that it shows are not suitable for bass boats and are in the wrong locations. If you find a ramp using it then I suggest using Google or Bing with satellite overlay to look at it before driving there expecting to put your boat in.

In the end I think the best way is to do a little research online, then stop at a local tackle shop and buy something and ask them. 
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

fiker

I don't have a smart phone so the apps thing is out for me.

I've just spent the morning using the site DK suggested.  On my auto GPS I can enter lat/long (after I changed the format) and then save under a category that I made on the GPS called launches.  It appears to be working correctly. 

I guess I'll know for sure when I show up to launch my boat, either in the lake or somebody's drive way. 

:)

mikesmiph

If you end up in someones driveway, stop and ask them where the boat launch is. LOL

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: mikesmiph on June 08, 2011, 11:41:26 AM
If you end up in someones driveway, stop and ask them where the boat launch is. LOL

Now THAT was a good one Mike !!!    :D

djkimmel

Yup. Great advice! I've done it!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

capt charlie's charters

STAY AWAY FROM THOMPSON LAKE, CITY OF HOWELL LAUNCH, THEY'LL STICK IT TO YOU.

CAPT