Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:11:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Saturday 5/28

Started by Revtro, May 29, 2011, 12:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

We got out about 7am and launched at 11 Mile.  The water quality was much better than expected and so was the fishing. 

The day began at the gas station at 9 and Jefferson where we met some guys who drove up from the Fort Wayne Indiana area.  They were asking us some questions about fishing St. Clair and I offered them my number so that I could text them if we got into anything good.  They were appreciative and hopefully we gave a good impression of Michiganders for a change.  ;D  Throughout the day, we texted back and forth and helped them find some fish.  It felt good to be hospitable.  I invited them to participate in GLB and hopefully we'll see them on here soon.  Ok, on to the fishing.

We started out just South of 11 Mile and fished in 10 FOW down to about 9 FOW.  We started trying everything, spinnerbaits, cranks, tubes, jerkbaits.  At first we weren't getting much going.  Then I switched up to a Green Pumpkin Copper Flake tube and it was on.  I got bit on the first cast, a 3lb Smallie.  Then it was a fish about every other cast.  For the first 2 hours, we did not land a fish smaller than 2.5.  I caught a few on the new Garneau Bait Bedbug in Goby color, all about 3lbs.  But the GP Copperflake tube was the deal for us today.  I dropshotted for a while about 10am, but couldn't get bit, so I gave up on that in a hurry.  There were plenty of baitfish in the area around 9 Mile.  Several fish were puking up minnows when we landed them.  About 10:30, it was weird because the fish all got small.  We got our first of several non-keepers about 10:30 with Rockies and a Crappie mixed in. 

Here's one thing we discovered this morning.  We started in 10 FOW and most of our good bites came in 10.5.  There were a bunch of other boats out in the area, but we didn't see them landing a lot of fish.  We stayed inside of them toward shore and did pretty well.  It was a good thing we didn't "go with the pack" because the pack seemed to be just outside the zone.  Every time we drifted out past 11.5, we stopped getting bites.  Even when we stayed in 10.5, but were more East, we didn't get bit.  It ended up being a pretty specific area with weeds that seemed to be the most productive.  As the morning went on, several of the other boats figured it out and started moving in also.  I assume they started catching them as well. 

As the morning went on, we met another team fishing from the Fort Wayne area.  They trolled by us and we chatted a bit as we each got a fish during the conversation.  They were really nice guys who drove from 2am to be here on St. Clair this morning.  Now that's commitment!   

My partner had a blast and all in all, it was an excellent morning.  I'm looking forward to some early morning fishing on Monday.  But I will definitely be off the water before the recreational boaters get out there.  See ya on the water!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

fiker

Glad to hear you did well Tom.  I haven't been able to get out in over a week now.  I'm having withdrawals...........
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

bassebuster5675

great report maybe regretting my decision to give up on the mile roads and fish north near selfridge got out about 7:30 saturday and fished til about 8 pm and only ended up with a total of 13 fish over 14 inches but so many rockies i lost count. my partner and i did fish conger bay for a lil bit when the smallie bite went cold and my partner did land a couple fat healthy largemouth

Rocknfish

Great report Revtro,
This coming weekend is my annual trip to LSC.Always go the weekend near or on my birthday(June 3rd).Me and a couple of pals will be heading up early friday morning and stay till sunday afternoon then back to Ohio.The last few years I have been putting in at the 9 mile launch but am thinking that it would be best to try 11 mile since the boat traffic can get real bad around 9 mile.We will be in a Lund Fisherman with Ohio lettering if anyone wants to say hello to a fellow GLBer.Will have an LSC virgin at the wheel this time and am hoping to make it a memorable trip.Lookin forward to it...just not looking forward to turning 38!Usually fish the mile roads area but wasnt sure if another area would be worth trying on this trip.Will report back how things went after the trip.
Anyone willing to help out with info would be a great help and certainly appreciated.
Thanks guys,
Aaron
Rock and fish...thats what I do!

Revtro

Aaron, shoot me a PM.  I was out yesterday and we rocked the smallmouth.  We found some areas that were holding plenty of nice fish.  We caught a lot in the 3 and 4 lb range.  I'll be out there this coming Friday or Saturday.  I'll shoot you my cell and if I can help you find some fish, I will.  I'm hoping some of the areas we found them in yesterday hold up this coming weekend.  Hopefully we can meet up sometime this weekend. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]