Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 29, 2024, 05:17:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Bass Magazines

Started by Big dreams, May 23, 2012, 07:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Bass magazine do you prefer the most?

Bassin
Bass Master
Bass Dozer
FLW
Bam

Big dreams

My subscription has run out so it made me wonder what you all prefer.

Skulley

Off your list I subscribe to 3 of those magazines.  Bassmaster, Bassin, and FLW Magazine. If I were to only have the opportunity to subscribe to one of them it would be Bassmaster.

BD.                          ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

FishermanJohn

I have subscriptions to Bassin', Bassmaster, and FLW.  If I could only pick one, it would be Bassmaster.  FLW is a pretty close second.  I'm not certain if I am going to renew Bassin' when it comes time.

Trux

You didn't list my favorite, Bass Times, from the same folks as Bassmaster. Some similar content to Bassmaster (the tournament recaps), but more in-depth and more articles about conservation and biology.

Lightningboy

I only get two; Bassmaster, and InFisherman.

Bassmaster is great for what's happening on the tournament scene.  Call it a "test" for the real world usefulness of any technique.  They only use a bait/technique if it's truly useful.

InFisherman is a tradition of sorts for me.  It was always a place where science met fishing.  A lot about some cutting edge techniques.  Probably one of the spots I learned a lot of concepts about fishing.  Didn't matter that it's a multispecies mag; a lot of the concepts carry over to bass fishing.  Since the Lindners sold out to Pure Fishing, it has become a bit of an advertising blurb for Berkley & other Pure fishing companies.  But Doug Stange and company manage to keep enough of the old flavor to the mag to make it worth while.

Not to put down magazines, but there's so much info out there on-line that mags are really second fiddle nowdays.  Not trying to blow my own horn, but many of the "modern" fishing ideas were common place on the internet before they became bass standards.

I spent a lot of time on BFHP before I came here.  At the time, a rod building revolution was going on.  There were two guys who were custom rod builders that posted a lot on the concepts of rod building.  Thanks to them, I was using home built rods with things like split grips, revolver guides, and microguides for 5-10 years before the rod companies saw the light.

Now days I spend a lot more time cruising the net at places like youtube looking for info than in fishing mags.  One of the things I've learned about catching bass is to be on the leading edge; giving them something they haven't seen can be huge.  There's a lot of experimenting going on out there.  The internet is the place where everyman can post their results.

Big dreams

You are right on with the Internet having more information.  Is there a huge cost difference in making your own rods?

Lightningboy

There can be a big difference in price compared to off the shelf, at least on high end rods.

Biggest deal is that you can build them to fit you well.  Plus, it's a great way to pass the winter.  I like making stuff, so I enjoy it on several levels.

Got Fish??

I like In-Fishermen. It's a great informational and reference tool for me. But if I have to choose from the list, I pick Bass Master. I have a subscription to both.

Skulley

In-Fisherman is not in the poll but it is a real good resource for bass fishing in the northern tier of states. Most bass fishing publications cater to the southern bass fisherman who fishes impoundments. Since the secret has been out on bass fishing the Great Lakes, more and more articles of fishing the Great Lakes has been showing up in Bassmaster, FLW, and Bassin. I get all three of those and I get In-Fisherman. I also get North American Fisherman. I think Bass Angler is a little expensive for what it is. Bassmaster still would be my choice if that was the only magazine I could get.

BD.                            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

I kind of like the Internet I would have to say.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Genie

I get the best info from GLB!  GLB for president!
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

djkimmel

That might be interesting? GLBass would definitely give us more bass fishing!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.