Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 09, 2024, 08:29:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

power poles

Started by stackenem, March 11, 2014, 11:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stackenem

Any body out there running 2 power poles?
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Crankinsmallies

Had them and hated them (leaky, don't work well in tight areas, can't take them off when you need to.......) bought Talons and now I'm happy.

djkimmel

Whether you get Power-Poles or Talons, you really need two to be most effective. Now... if they only grew on trees... ;D

I like the Talons a little better overall. Any issues with getting into a garage, or situations where you can't fit under a bridge or similar? That is one advantage of the Power-Poles in being able to drop them a little quickly to squeeze under things.

If I ever get to the point where I can afford them, I hope they're out to about 16 feet by then so I can use them for some of the deep sight fishing maybe? :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

FOB

Any issues with getting into a garage, or situations where you can't fit under a bridge or similar?

I have run a pair of Talons for 2 years now.  I have the fold down brackets so there is no issue for bridges, etc.  I will also lay them down when I have someone in the back fishing, so they are not in the way for them.
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

djkimmel

I had heard the new brackets made things much more convenient. I will have to take a look at those sometime. Do they lay down towards the back deck or how? Yes, you'd think I'd know this...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Do you actually use the fishing.  About the only place I see them used is at the boat launch.  Would not work for me since I usually have the trolling motor on 80% and cruising.  Ask anyone that fishes with me and they will agree.  The do look cool driving down the road. 

stackenem

OK, The reason I ask if anyone used 2 power poles is because I just bought 2 and was wondering if they can be ran off the same pump and the same remote. I guess I should have been a bit more clear on what I was looking for. So if anyone can answer my questions that would be great.

Thanks
Bill
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

LAPORTE

Bill you have all the new toys...
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Waterfoul

Quote from: stackenem on March 12, 2014, 12:48:55 PM
OK, The reason I ask if anyone used 2 power poles is because I just bought 2 and was wondering if they can be ran off the same pump and the same remote. I guess I should have been a bit more clear on what I was looking for. So if anyone can answer my questions that would be great.

Thanks
Bill

You need seperate pumps and remotes.  (I am a dealer for Power Pole and the Talon).  Working on getting a Talon for my boat as a demo unit.

One thing about the Talon that I like better than the Power Poles is that they go straight down.  You can better anchor with one Talon than you can with one Power Pole. 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

tigar

Two of either is the ticket, and with 2 power poles you will have a wider base so to say. They dont extend straight down and give you more leverage on the bottom. If you need them in windy situations and the wind is exactly behind or in your face it may not matter, but if you have any cross wind having the power poles is an advantage. A perfect example is this a few weeks ago at Guntersville we had a day of pretty stiff winds and I was fishing a spot in the back of Spring Creek (same creek a Mr. Howell was fishing) and I was able to hold myself where I wanted to while another boat could not with the talons. The cross wind would turn his boat not allow him to fish the area the way he wanted to. When we met at the ramp he said that he had called to order power poles while on the water watching me not have to fight the boat. I have 2 10' power poles and added tilt brackets which ended my issues with garage and low bridges. By lowering them to travel, I also dont have as many people  at the back of my boat in the other lane with the driver doing an "Atlanta Braves hatchet chop that they use in their chant at games" while describing to others in the car what they do.
Both are great products but I like my power poles!

Quack

I have dual power poles.  You need separate pumps but you can pair both with a single remote.

t-bone

Kim Stricker shows how to get power poles into a standard garage...

Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

TimH

Quote from: tigar on March 12, 2014, 07:42:44 PM
Two of either is the ticket, and with 2 power poles you will have a wider base so to say. They dont extend straight down and give you more leverage on the bottom. If you need them in windy situations and the wind is exactly behind or in your face it may not matter, but if you have any cross wind having the power poles is an advantage. A perfect example is this a few weeks ago at Guntersville we had a day of pretty stiff winds and I was fishing a spot in the back of Spring Creek (same creek a Mr. Howell was fishing) and I was able to hold myself where I wanted to while another boat could not with the talons. The cross wind would turn his boat not allow him to fish the area the way he wanted to. When we met at the ramp he said that he had called to order power poles while on the water watching me not have to fight the boat. I have 2 10' power poles and added tilt brackets which ended my issues with garage and low bridges. By lowering them to travel, I also dont have as many people  at the back of my boat in the other lane with the driver doing an "Atlanta Braves hatchet chop that they use in their chant at games" while describing to others in the car what they do.
Both are great products but I like my power poles!

LOL, The Atlanta Braves Hatchet chop...Thinking back on it, that is exactly what it must look like I was doing when I was describing to my wife what a power pole does.  She saw them as we were driving down the freeway, and using my hand/arm to demonstrate was the best way to explain in.  I must have looked like such a tool to people driving by :-[

tigar

Dan- they do lay on the deck of your boat, Minn Kota has also come out with a pole that attaches to your talon and keeps it from laying on your deck. Kind of like the pole that is attached to the Fortrex trolling motors (keeps it off the deck). I was checking them out at the expo and trying to apply them to my power poles. The tilt brackets that I got were not Minn Kota they were from Hydrilla gear I think and use pins instead of springs. I wasnt keen on dealing with springs over time.
Stakenem- different pumps, and can be used with same remotes. Also, power poles also have an app that you can control them and set up speed, bottom hardness and such as well. I use it to set up before going out if I see a change needed. If your in a lake with soft bottom you dont want to drill to china!

djkimmel

Lots of helpful information - thanks everyone! And yes, stackenem - asking your specific question does help! Especially in getting your specific answer.

Though your original, less specific question got the rest of us some additional helpful info. So maybe win-win?

I'm jealous of anyone who has two of either... I like to fish fast but often need to quickly hold in one specific place, or stop quickly. Especially when it's shallow - poles will help a lot. I think about all the bass I've 'rolled' out from under a dock or other shallow object trying to stop fast with the trolling motor pointed the wrong way... not good. Just more tools that can make your fishing more efficient if you match the right tool to the right uses.

stackenem

Thanks for all the info from everyone. Can't wait to use them up north in June if the ice is gone.

djkimmel

Ice will be gone. Thinking about up north was why I keep hoping they make the poles longer. Not sure how long they can go and still work but even 10 feet isn't near enough for many of the places I like to sight fish or would like to stop on a dime. Still, 10 feet is better and no feet.

tigar

You can always get the Minn Kota trolling motor that will hold you on the spot(cant remember the model), and the 10 foot power poles! Best of both worlds for that situation.