Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 03:27:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

How do you find a good Tournament Partner?

Started by SethV, April 12, 2007, 09:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethV

How have you guys found good tournament team partners?  I just had my FOM "partner" bail on me...I find it very hard to hook up with a good partner.  I have moved from state to state quite a bit, and I find it hard to find a really solid partner.  Not just someone willing to fill the back seat, but someone who is willing to really put in an effort.  Prefish long days, invest $$ in good equipment and just be "into" the effort.

In upstate NY I had a great partner.  Charlie and I still fish together a few events per year.  He is one of those guys that will step up if I am having a bad day, and I can usually step up if he is having a bad day.  We were pretty successful together.

How do you go about finding a good partner?  Have most of you fished with the same team partner for years, or do you change partners often?  What do you look for in a partner?

Seth V

JCOOPER

Because of my line of work, I have always had the opportunity to fish with alot of different people.  Even a day of fun fishing will give you a feel for how you might do together.  Some of my best partners are just people that I shared a day on the water with. They call you for a tourney once, you call them once and the net thing you know your virtually married!  I have a couple people that I share information with and they are the ones I would turn to first as a partner.
I am a pre bred mix between a ninja and a polar bear.  A truly deadly combination.

Skip Johnson

I have spent the majority of my tournaments fishing team events and I have had both good and bad partners.

finding a good partner is like finding a life long friend it can be hard or easy.
the most important part of being a good team partner is never bragging that you cought most of the fish or fished all your stuff,  most who devulge that type of info usualy are not telling the truth and are stroking there own ego at your expense, being a good partner is working together on and off the water.
I have had "bad" partners before even though the day went smooth.

the best info I can give to meet new partners is through local clubs or sites like this one, take a few guys out fishing with no mention of teaming up with you and pick from the guys you like and trust the best.
Go Big or Go Home!

joshimoto son

Nicely put Cast N Blast.
I have gotten lucky, I have a great partner. Together we fish better than we do individually. We also have the ability of throwing our thoughts on the table like an old bucket of bolts and picking through them with out being offensive or brash.

You can never count on what life throws at you. You just have to take what you can and make the best of it.

joshimoto son ;D

squid

That is a very good question.  I fish with my best friend and we have fun trying to out fish the other..even in tournaments....but we still act as a team. 

Both of us would have a hard time replacing the other..ok...maybe I would have a hard time....his son loves to fish...and can out fish us both....lol. 

I am just glad I am not in your shoes.

thomas

Seth,

I had fishing partner last year that became my worst nightmare. This year I'm fishing with my son who really is a walleye kind of guy. He is just doing me a favor by fishing this FOM tournament trail with me. I'm not sure what I'll do next year. There is a young man on this site who might be interested. He will most certainly be checking this thread out I'm sure. Langer is his forum name. I'm looking forward to fishing with him in the next couple of weeks. Seems like a very nice young man. I'm sure you will here from him. I wish you the best of luck in finding a partner for this year. But I have dibbs on Langer for next year. Hope to meet you this year on the FOM tournament trail.

thomas
Jos.24:15 ....;but as for me and my house,we will serve the Lord."

Langer

My partner is my dad. But I am going limit him to only small club tournaments. His typical day on the water consists of fishing for a little while then taking a nap, fish for a little while longer, eat a snack, take a nap, then fish for a little while longer, then take a nap. Luckily its not a team format or it might be a bit frustrating, now I just consider it one less person I need to worry about beating.  ;D

I am going to be getting into the larger trails next year, and am looking forward to fishing with Thomas this year, to see how we do for Next years FOM events.

Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

BigSmallie

Cast N Blast hit the nail on the head.   

I too have fished mostly team events  for 25 years.   I started out with my best friend and fished for 18 years....and it was fun.    Then he lost his "drive" to tournament fish, so I looked in our club.    I thought I picked a knowledgeable individual.....but he turned out to be the  "partner from hell"...that had a good line and a big mouth!    Just like mentioned above.....taking all the credit for finding and catching the fish, always his spots, always his boat, always exagerate about the size and number of fish we actually caught......etc...etc...etc....  ::)  After 4 years of "his way or the highway" I couldn't take it anymore and went hunting for my current partner.       

My new partner and I fish extremely well together and have been very successful in the past 4 years.    I'm looking forward to fishing more tournaments on bigger water this year.

I wish you good luck in your search, but like Cast N Blast said.......start at the local club and hunt yourself up a partner!!

BS  ;)
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

thedude

Quote from: thomas on April 12, 2007, 03:33:49 PM
There is a young man on this site who might be interested. He will most certainly be checking this thread out I'm sure. Langer is his forum name. I'm looking forward to fishing with him in the next couple of weeks. Seems like a very nice young man.

FYI - FOM tournies don't let you weigh in Rock Bass... which is all i've ever seen Lang catch.. :) :p I think that 4lber he posted in the other thread was photoshopped

just kiddin brian..lol.

my biggest problem is finding someone to fish with.... i moved up here a few years back and my first partner i met through the FOM website. Well he had some silly notion to start FOM East and couldn't fish the circuit anymore..... my partner last year up and moved to Georgia on me..... i met him through FOM west as he was the director when i fished it. Both great partners and i would i could fish with either of them on a regular basis.... oh well... i've been lucky i guess.. hopefully the streak continues for this season.

West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Langer

Quote from: thedude on April 12, 2007, 06:53:28 PM
FYI - FOM tournies don't let you weigh in Rock Bass... which is all i've ever seen Lang catch.. :) :p I think that 4lber he posted in the other thread was photoshopped

just kiddin brian..lol.

That was more fish then you caught that day!  ;D
-2008 President

thedude

Quote from: Langer on April 12, 2007, 07:04:01 PM

just kiddin brian..lol.

Touché.

I was trying to control the boat in that stiff wind is all....
Palehorse Custom Rods

Langer

Quote from: thedude on April 13, 2007, 12:08:52 PM
Quote from: Langer on April 12, 2007, 07:04:01 PM

just kiddin brian..lol.

Touché.

I was trying to control the boat in that stiff wind is all....

Stiff Wind? I remember a slight breeze and Bluebird Skies. I think the Biscuits and Gravy screwed up your memory.  ;D
-2008 President

1javelin

A good partner is like a good wine; they start off sweet and finsh smooth.  I am lucky to have the partner I have, who I spent most of my teenage years farm pond fishing with, so we know a little bit about each other already.  He is totally dedicated to what we plan on doing, and we talk regularly about it.  This will be our second year together, and first year doing big tournaments, but I have complete faith in what we are going to do.  Confidence in each other plays a big part, and I know together we can pull some big things off.  Keep searching, and you may find someone in the least expected spot.
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Skulley

I have had my problems finding a good partner.  My neighbor down the street was my partner for a while.  He was the best I had in a long time......then he bought a boat.  Now he fishes with one of his co-workers from his job.  I find that 85% of the time, I end up fishing alone.....and I really don't mind that.  For this reason, I am really looking forward to fishing NBAA's new One on One Divisions. 

Aside from him, my daughter has been my partner.  She is great to fish with.  There is nothing like fishing with your kid, however like any kid, she does get bored when the bite is slow. 

I got my boat out of storage today (4-13-07).  I started it in the driveway using "rabbit ears".  I loaded my equipment into it.  I am working 4 hours O.T. tomorrow and then I am going to my son's basketball game at 1030 hours.  Again I have no partner so I am going fishing after the b-ball game by myself.  Then Sunday I am going somewhere, but again because of no partner, I am going alone.  I decided this year to concentrate on the lakes in NBAA Division 43 during the week as my daughter and I are fishing that again this year.  On weekends with good weather, I plan to fish St. Clair and Erie as much as possible.  I also will be concentrating on my Bass Club tournaments also as all but one are on St. Clair and Erie. 

If anyone would like to fish, boater or non-boater, feel free to email me.  I have never had a problem sharing information, however I do know how to keep secrets.  I do that very well.    ;)

BD           ;D 
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Bob Mann

If anything you should talk to your partner and most of all explain the $$$$$$$$$$ factor. I had a partner that wanted to fish every thing. That was great. If there was a bass tourney I was there. For some reason he thought my sponsor's would pay his way. This went on for two years. We did very well. He was a great stick. When I layed out the cost factor for him on the third year. Well let's just say he hasn't spoke to me since. He was a great friend and a better angler "nolonger" Any way make sure what you want out of fsihing is what he wants.
jigger

Waterfoul

I have one "permanent" partner for weeknight tournaments (mostly the Gander Mountain Wabasis events).  He is my girlfriends 16 year old son.  The boy can fish!!  And I've been teaching him now to be a good boater too... which he is learning fast.  But the every-other-weekend at his dad's cuts into our weekend fishing.  So I have a couple other guys I fish weekend tournaments with... one being a former co-worker who is not afraid to throw baits I wouldn'tnormally throw (it has worked out to our advantage a couple times!).  But his equipment is a bit lacking and I usually pack an extra rod or two for him to use. 

I've also fished a few tournies with thedude... he of the wicked hookset!!!  Never met a man who would actually throw his back out swinging for the fence on a hookset!!  LOL!!!

Dude... you been out for steel lately??
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

fishon1219

I have been fortunate in the 2 tournament partners that I fish with.
My Regular FOM partner and I have been best friends since we both worked at Livonia Tackle back in the late 80's and we are like brothers and fish real well together and have made alot of money.

My Other partner is a different story. He is a snot nosed bratty kid who thinks he is the greatest fisherman in the world. He always shows up at the ramp late and always breaks fish off, He loves to steal the trolling motor away from me when ever I step off of it for just a second and he just plan talkes to much and likes to sing the dumbest songs out loud. The kind of stuff that sticks in your head all day long. He is just like my little brother and always needs my guidence wether he thinks he does or not.

Most of you know him as McCarter.

Honestly, McCarter is a great guy and we have alot of fun on the water together and I am a tough person to spend 10 hours on a boat with. I do some dumb stuff that nobody else in the world would do that would get most people put in jail and McCarter puts up with it. Also, he always has a new can of Kodiak so that makes it better.

I have truly been blessed with both of my tournamnet partners and I wouldnt have it any other way.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

REEL_MAN

Hey Guys
Check out SethV's record (BFL) and the Skeeter tx's in Oklahoma. He's not a rookie. I only wish I was closer I'd volunteer :D.  he has the dedication and drive to get it done.

REEL_MAN

thedude

Quote from: Waterfoul on April 15, 2007, 08:18:56 PM
I've also fished a few tournies with thedude... he of the wicked hookset!!!  Never met a man who would actually throw his back out swinging for the fence on a hookset!!  LOL!!!

Dude... you been out for steel lately??

nope.. got out of st. joe saturday with rick for the brown blast.. caught upwards of 40 coho and 2 browns... one went 31" and 14 4 lbs.  a good time to say the least.
Palehorse Custom Rods

225XS4Garza200PXL

Sometimes you just stumble upon a great partner...

I fished last season with my buddy Vic and the first thing I noticed is that we compliment each other very well...

In order to have a good fishing/tournament partner I think they need to have the same attitude towards the sport as you do...

We are both into this sport big time... we have drive and determination... we're both very knowledgable of the fishery and we both excel at some things...

You don't want to be someone that makes it as a bass pro and have a partner that just does it for fun... just like you don't wanna fish for fun and go fishing with someone that takes it super serious...

Vic and I take the sport very serious and we're both on the water constantly... always looking for new things and new techniques that will work...

While in a tournament, we're both open to fish each other spots... I have full confidence in his stuff just like he has confidence if what I have too...

We also pick up the slack when someone may be having a bad day... or when we need to pull through to get another 4-5 lber...

All in all, we make a great team... and you guys better watch out...

So what that says is that, find someone who is just like you... someone that has the same drive and determination...
Jose Garza

Guide and Tournament Angler - Book a Trip Today!!
www.josegarzafishing.com

Stratos Boats - The Performance Company
www.stratosboats.com

Wonderland Marine West
www.wonderlandmarinewest.com

Provider Tackle - Pro's Choose It, We Supply It!
www.providertackle.com

Nemesis Baits - Hand Poured Goodness in Every Bag!
www.nemesisbaits.com

Mizmo Bait Co.
www.mizmo.com