Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 12:33:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Guys already bass fishing

Started by gmetime24, April 13, 2014, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Quote from: JBASS on April 14, 2014, 01:00:17 PM
Thought you can fish for dog fish any time of the year?

Had to join the train...

You can fish for dogfish or catfish any time of the year. But if you do it in a bass boat you will still get accused of bass fishing out of season on many waters.

Having some fish open all year and some fish closed for part of the year on the same lakes that will hit the same baits isn't the most feasible way of managing things. Another reason why most states don't do this.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I'm hoping this is the last year we have to put up with 'guilty by bass boat' in Michigan.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

21XDC

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Mike S.

I think this is the 5th or 6th year I've seen this topic now. Lol!  Every year the read gets better and better. Maybe next year if the bass season is changed, we can start bickering over who drives their boat over 55.  That's breaking the law too, and I bet there's plenty of us on here who don't break the law but run their boats as fast as they can. Just saying. 

dartag

Used to be the Drop Shot Debate before it was legal.

Not sure how fast my boat will go.  I am usually in the right lane with my blinker on. 

21XDC

Quote from: Mike S. on April 20, 2014, 07:42:20 AM
We can start bickering over who drives their boat over 55.  That's breaking the law too, and I bet there's plenty of us on here who don't break the law but run their boats as fast as they can. Just saying. 

I break that law 1/2 throttle....  :P

But this is the point I was trying to make earlier...  :-*
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

motocross269

Maybe it is just me...but I look at someone differently that gets a speeding ticket VS someone that purposely violates a game law......It's comparing apples and oranges....

There are lots of laws I don't agree with....Hell, To be honest I would smoke Marijuana if it was legal...but it isn't and after 23 years in the military I haven't touched it since I was in College....but laws are laws and thank God we have citizens like Mr Kimmel that are willing to stand up and work through the system to bring some common sense to the Government agencies...

Mike S.

Mojo

It wouldn't look good for my sponsors if the DNR fined or confiscated my gear..... Sorry if I'm not rolling with the crowd on this one. I can wait for 2015.....
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

PineLk 49

This thread will just not die. It's like a can of gas that just keeps leaking. Did you fire this back up DK? :) Thank you for clarifying Conservation Law for me motocross. By the way guys and gals... it is about a 50/50 split on what our feelings are on this subject.

I have been avoiding this example, but no one will put that can of gas in their boat and JUST GO FISHING ( Out of sight, out of mind aye?).

Example... A guy decides to go bass fishing out of season(with a very fast boat I might ad  ;D). He is just whacking the smallies on blade baits, jerk baits and crankbaits (double treble hooks). This guy says he catches over a 100 bass and immediately releases those fish. Now we all know probability of all these fish surviving is 0 because some of these fish have choked the bait and 2 or 3 are going to die. My question is this:

A. Do I keep these fish and harvest them?

B. Do I release these fish and let them sink to the bottom? (I don't think anybody seen me)

Guys... just go fishing. Why bring this negative attention to our great sport?

Dave

ACbassassassin

Quote from: Mojo on April 20, 2014, 11:31:05 PM
It wouldn't look good for my sponsors if the DNR fined or confiscated my gear..... Sorry if I'm not rolling with the crowd on this one. I can wait for 2015.....

You and I are on the same page.

djkimmel

Quote from: PineLk 49 on April 21, 2014, 10:41:11 AM
This thread will just not die. It's like a can of gas that just keeps leaking. Did you fire this back up DK? :) Thank you for clarifying Conservation Law for me motocross. By the way guys and gals... it is about a 50/50 split on what our feelings are on this subject.

I have been avoiding this example, but no one will put that can of gas in their boat and JUST GO FISHING ( Out of sight, out of mind aye?).

Example... A guy decides to go bass fishing out of season(with a very fast boat I might ad  ;D). He is just whacking the smallies on blade baits, jerk baits and crankbaits (double treble hooks). This guy says he catches over a 100 bass and immediately releases those fish. Now we all know probability of all these fish surviving is 0 because some of these fish have choked the bait and 2 or 3 are going to die. My question is this:

B. Do I release these fish and let them sink to the bottom? (I don't think anybody seen me)

Dave

Nope. I didn't fire it up. At least, not on purpose..? I'm sure I'd have more members if I had more of these kinds of posts, at least if they were allowed to get more 'Springer-esque' but I've never enjoyed that and you are all too mature. They wouldn't be the right kind of members generally anyway. Not all of them.

I always call this cabin fever though that's not really fair. I've already said this kind of stuff is a good example of why I personally want to change unnecessary, social regulations. I love fishing and want to help make the world a better place by getting more people into fishing.

We haven't gotten on the topic of what to do about fish that die yet. Don't worry, they are 'debating' that on other websites ;D The answer I've always gotten from the MDNR is if they aren't in season you have to release them. Luckily, spring, cold water mortality is generally very, very low due to the low water temp.

I've also recently been in some discussions about the muskie anglers who try to revive a tired muskie in their livewell before releasing it. Technically, some consider that muskie in possession though possession is not defined directly anywhere in Michigan law. The MDNR changed the fishing guide this year to read that you would need to tag such a muskie - must be tagged unless released immediately - and you only get one tag a year. There's actually an angler pushing really hard to get the MDNR to interpret that once/if you use your 1 tag per year you can't fish for muskie anymore in Michigan. I think that is ridiculous and stupid. But he sure believes he's doing some good...

Different folks. Different strokes... or, they say it takes all kinds... I just want to go fishing.

motocross269

Quote from: PineLk 49 on April 21, 2014, 10:41:11 AM

Dave
It's pretty simple......what do the current DNR regulations tell you to.do?....It really.doesnt.get more black and white.then that...

Everyone has to make their own moral and ethical decisions where they draw the line in life...

A common sense exchange on this forum with no personal attacks far from sheds a bad light if you compare to Tournament anglers.fishing out of season under the pubc.eye...
All you have to do is check out the forums over at lakestclair.net if you want to see some
general disdain towards us evil toirnament fisherman......Fishing out of season, moving into
Their fishing area, Power loading, driving too fast,arrogant guy in the fancy jersey, poor.fish care, Ive seen it all posted over there.....So we are being watched and some are loking for a reason to give us a hard time and put a huge damper on our sport..

djkimmel

Some will find two things wrong a year and paint the whole bass boat nation with that brush too. In the old days I used to lecture a lot more at the federation meetings because I know how much we stand out, and that this is human nature, but I realized I was preaching to the choir more often than getting to the root of the few bad apples problem.

It is important to remind each other that these perceptions do exist, and more important for all of us to set a good example.

I don't get after people fishing out of season much because not all people in a bass boat are targeting bass out of season. If we can get the season fixed (because it is broken) then none of us have to worry about 'guilty by bass boat' anymore. I'm sure we can find something else after that... ;D but maybe we can fix that too!?! And then fix the next thing, and the next thing... :)

motocross269

Excuse the typos...hate typing on my cell

djkimmel

That's a lot to type on a phone!

PineLk 49

DK and motocross.... you are 100% correct. I let my judgement get clouded by getting to personal. If I'm ever in the wrong I will be the first to admit it. So I will publicly apologize for being to insensitive and HOPE that those offended will understand I was just venting a little steam.

Sometimes I make the mistake of jumping over the fence, rather than just walking around it. Again, another lesson learned the hard way.

Dave

djkimmel

I know I wasn't thinking about anyone in particular when I wrote my latest comments. I was just doing what I usually do - sharing my thoughts with everyone who comes along and reads. I didn't have a problem with any of your particular posts. I don't have a problem with people sharing their opinions on various topics. I'm sure glad we all do that pretty good on here.

I vent too. Probably as much or more than anyone. I keep forgetting that sometimes people will even think I'm venting towards them when I don't mean to.

motocross269

Its all good...I have seen these discussions deteriate rapidly on other forums but the members here do a great job of not letting things get personal....This is America we arent all suppose to have the same opinion, it is all about tolerance and how you express yourself....

One good thing about all of this...It was a pretty short time between ice out and the Opener of C and R.......Last I heard the Lakes up north still were pretty well covered...Some of our up north friends may have to use their spuds for opening day.... ;D