Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 03:29:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Grand River system

Started by chrisvmo, March 10, 2009, 10:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisvmo

any one have any advice on the river system? The trail I am planning on fishing has two stops and I have no confidence out there. Ive tried the gravel pits with little success and to be honest I just don't like fishing out there. Oh yeah you can't run lake michigan in the tournies so that is off limits. any advice or tips would be greatly appreciatied.

Chris

Ranger5Smallie

All of the bayous off the main river are good.  I havent fished it much in the past 4 years but use to spend a ton of time on it.  Spring Lake is also decent.

What trail is going there twice?

Cy

Chris The Grand is not that bad...but it takes some time to feel good about it.  If keep at it, it will get easier I promise.

I have a few questions first.  What time of year are you out there?  What months?  Also are these evening tournys or all day deals?  Where are launching from?

Based on the this information I should be able to give you some usable advice on the system.

A couple of basic things to keep in mind.  The river holds fish, normally along the bank in the brush and trees and other man made current breaks.  You can catch a limit in the river but normally the bigger fish live in the bayous.  Spring Lake can be good but it is a long run and on Weekends the large boat traffic can be a PITA.  Spring Lake also has large no-wake zones.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

chrisvmo

its for the Kellogsville tour. They are launching from stern's bayou. the tournies are june 27, and july 25. they are morning tounies till 2 I think. thanks for the help im sure it will just take a few trips but all your help and starting points help alot.

thanks, chris

fasttrack

You could join the crowds and fish Stearns but might be better finding a place further from the launch. Pottawatamie is another decent, but popular, choice. The last 2-3 years we have been making the run to Spring with mixed results. Finished middle-of-the pack before, but also took first place the last time I fished there with Rich (the Director). Like anywhere its pretty hit or miss. A fair amount of fish are also caught along the riprap by the Indian Channel launch. I have not been on the river as much the last 2-3 years as I used to, so this is all I have. Welcome to the club! It's a fun trail. See you there!

Marc
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

jgip087

Over the past couple of years the Grand River has gone down pretty quickly but those bass are still in there somewhere! I think they are moving more towards where the river is not dredged that time of year because the water gets warm and they look for current and I am not too willing to run up that far.
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

skeeterman190

The Grand river was alot better last year then in years past in my eyes. I only fished there once but it put out some weight. Usually if i fish a tourney there(BBt) i run to white or muskegon. just to get away from the crowds and its worked out. fished a shoreline there last year. I found a ton of different things to be working when i was there. It was kinda funny seemed like id get on a pattern and change to something else and boom another big fish. So id say to you this: go junk fishing. when i say that i dont mean just fish in the slop have a tons of rods rigged for whatever is in front of u. I found the best bite to be on a senko, jig, and spro bronzeye frog. The one day i practiced no doubt i had an 18lb bag doing that.-skeeterman- I fished the main river and Sterns Bayou. plus a bunch of cuts off the river from Riverside all the way to Potawatomie.
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Waterfoul

I'd give you advice . . . but I'll be fishing against you there!!  Better be able to beat this limit too:

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

chrisvmo

well know I'm determined to learn how to fish the grand. see ya on the water.

Cy

Quote from: Waterfoul on March 11, 2009, 11:49:37 PM
I'd give you advice . . . but I'll be fishing against you there!!  Better be able to beat this limit too:

You are so...not helpful sometimes!  ;D  Give the guy a break and throw him a bone.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

thedude

the trick is to figure out how to get your boat up to sixth street.  ;D
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Quote from: Cy on March 12, 2009, 08:31:05 AM
Quote from: Waterfoul on March 11, 2009, 11:49:37 PM

You are so...not helpful sometimes!  ;D  Give the guy a break and throw him a bone.

Oh fine.  I'll toss the boy a bone.

Fish where the fish are and you'll do fine.

LOL!!!!!!

Actually Chris... if you fish the bayous, gravel pits, and Spring Lake you will do fine because they fish just like any other lake you've been on.  Or, I know guys who have caught some pretty nice smallies IN Grand Haven out of the rocks and such around the marinas (I would be one of those guys!!).
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

chrisvmo

I need no bone tossed this way. I think I've beaten you in a couple of tournies as well Mr. WaterFowl. Check your mail.

Waterfoul

Na, I doubt it.  I don't get beat by punk kids in Rangers.  LOL!!!   :D :D

skeeterman190

Did Mr. Vandeweg catch all those fish?? haha   :D
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Waterfoul

Quote from: skeeterman190 on March 12, 2009, 07:26:57 PM
Did Mr. Vandeweg catch all those fish?? haha   :D

Nope.. actually my partner caught most of them that day!  At least the bigger ones!!

chrisvmo

Quote from: thedude on March 12, 2009, 09:08:56 AM
the trick is to figure out how to get your boat up to sixth street.  ;D

Any one have a fast Jet boat I can use for the touney? that should do the trick. how long of a ride do you think it is DUDEMAN?

thedude

i guess that depends on how fast of a jet boat you can find! add in the no wakes and you'd be hard pressed to do it under an hour i would guess, but i really have no idea.  i usually fish the river in my mud boat which has a max speed of about 15mph so i don't venture too far from wherever i launch. The times i had my big boat in, i headed straight for the pierheads for greener pastures.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods