Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:45:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Boat MC Number

Started by Larry313, September 05, 2012, 03:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry313

Do you have to put your MC numbers on your bass boat?  I don't see too many with them on there

djkimmel

If your boat is registered in Michigan, you have to put your MC numbers on both sides in the proper locations with the proper spacing with some exceptions for hand-powered boats under 16 feet (does not include sailboats - all sailboats must be registered).

Some of those boats are not registered in Michigan. And some, well...? I've been pulled over because they couldn't see my MC numbers and twice because they thought my 'fancy' MC numbers did not meet requirements. So my Michigan-registered boats always have MC numbers.

I think all states (federal requirement too) and I believe all Canadian provinces have boater registration number requirements but some of the boats you see without numbers are in a temporary status like dealer-owned and not sold yet - memo or pro staff loaner boats basically for one example, in transit or repair status other examples. Regulations on which boats need numbers and when differ some from state to state and by dealer, boater and law officer interpretation too as I have found out a few times myself.

I have had a number of anglers over the years who fish all summer in Michigan with a 'non-owned' boat that they don't need things like a license plate or MC/registration numbers but according to the Michigan Secretary of State "if a boat is stored or anchored in Michigan, and exclusively used on Michigan waterways over 60 days, the watercraft must be registered in Michigan." (summary link)

I try to follow laws and regulations to the best of my ability and understanding, and recommend publicly on here and my other web sites that others follow the same practice. What anyone decides to actually do is up to them. I usually do not provide the entire regulation/law because they are often complex and spread out over many different places so I don't claim to always be right or that anyone should use anything I post to tell someone else they are right or wrong either. We all have an individual responsibility to be knowledgeable about local laws and regulations.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

The letters should be block and they need to be at least 3" high

Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow as high above the waterline as practical.
Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
Number must be in at least 3-inch-high BLOCK letters.
Number's color must contrast with the color of the background and be distinctly visible and legible.
Letters and numbers must be separated by a space or hyphen; for example: MC 3717 ZW or MC-3717-ZW.
No other numbers can be displayed on either side of the bow.
Decals must be affixed on each side of the vessel and placed three inches after the last character of the registration number
http://www.boat-ed.com/michigan/handbook/book.html?page=1

There used to be a DNR guy down at Sterling State park that everyone called the number Nazi
This guy had a ruler and would check the hieght of the letters.

Waterfoul

Curious as to where you see bass boats with no registration numbers?

In Michigan, if you boat with no registration numbers on your boat you will eventually be paying the fine, and be applying numbers and letters eventually.

The only exception for power/sail boats is if they are Coast Gaurd Registered (which is a fairly paperwork intensive process).  But you cannot do this with a bass boat (no live aboard capabilities), so you have to display your numbers correctly.

Because of my line of work I consider myself sort of an expert on how, where, and why you need registration numbers on your boat.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

I see it all the time. Especially around the Great Lakes and especially around Lake St. Clair. Boat trailers with no license plates either fairly often. They aren't all from out of state boats though many of them are attached to out of state trucks. Some people do this all year, every year and get away with it. Some people get called on it once in a while.

I was stopped on the water once because the officers said they didn't see my numbers and thought I didn't have any. I got pulled over twice because I was pulling a friend's boat and while he had it in for repairs the marina (no longer in business) put the wrong license plate back on the trailer. The true owner reported it stolen.

What are the odds a law officer even checks your trailer license plate while you are driving down the road?!? For me anyway, 200%. That was a fun day.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Never a bad idea to take a boater safety course if you haven't before. A few states and Canada now require a boater license or card verifying you have passed a certified boater safety course. I have an agreement with this website for online boater safety study and exams. Lots of information is free.

Here is a link - http://www.boaterexam.com/usa/michigan/education/ - to a free boater safety quiz for Michigan boaters that includes a chapter on Boat Registration Requirements including state reciprocity and when you have to transfer registration from one state to another with information on Michigan Registration Requirements too. The Registration Fees chapter later describes placement and visibility of the state AND federal required Certificate of Number (MC number for Michiganders).

You can use the above website as an official source to get your Michigan Boating Safety Certificate, nice for any boater and required for all boaters ages 12 to 16 and most PWC operators.

Anyone from any state can click the above graphic and then choose their state to get a personalized study course and quiz. Canadian visitors, who are all required to have a boating card now, can click the same graphic and choose the Canada link in the upper right corner of their web page.