Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 05:01:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Livewell Additives

Started by jgip087, April 09, 2008, 10:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgip087

I would just like to take a little poll of who uses livewell addititives and what kind they use. If you could respond it would be great and please read what I have to say about them below. They are very important and be sure to look into the products before buying, I myself had a majoy wake up call a couple years ago doing research on the topic.

Sure-Life has recently released a new formula available at Bass Pro Shops and many other retailers called Catch and Release. Catch and Release is very important to us because it kills, VHS, Largemouth Bass Virus, and even Zebra Mussels. It also calms your fish and allows them to replenish in your livewells actually making them healthier than before caught in most situations. On the other hand you have Rejuvenade. While Rejuvenade works to keep fish alive through weigh ins, because it is a garlic based stimulate as you can smell if you open it, it is not good for fish in the long run. Independant studies have been done that show many negative effects of it on bass, especially smallmouth, one situation actually led to the degrading of a bass' fins when exposed over time. Sure-Life formulas, Catch and Release and Please Release Me will also break down in the water overtime while Rejuvenade is very very slow to break down. I hope you make the choice next time you buy in looking deeper into the two formulas and provide the fish with the best possible care. As well try adding hydrogen peroxide to your livewells in small amounts, 6oz per well if seperated and see the wonders it will work as well. When using the peroxide and Sure-Life formulas you do not need to replenish water because the formula will rid of ammonia and the peroxide will boost oxygen transfer. Finally, we are pulling a lot of our fish from very deep water and the need to chill the water by 5-10 degrees is very important as well so a floating temperature gauge is a smart investment to make, one can be purchased for a few dollars at the pet store.

Hopefully these tips help you to increase the survival of your fish and preserve them for generations to come.
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

Durand Dan

Catch and Release is very important to us because it kills, VHS, Largemouth Bass Virus, and even Zebra Mussels.
[/quote]
I guess I would need more info on what chemical in Catch and Release is killing the zebra mussels and if we should be adding it to the lakes

Dan

The larval stage of the zebra mussel, villagers, seem quite vulnerable, and can be killed by rinsing your exposed compartments (bilge, livewells, etc.) with hot tap water. I haven't heard that these livewell additives do the same, but I wouldn't be surprised. I have researched livewell care as well and am a believer of additives and ice. I'll have to get back to my file I have and refresh the info. I googled Sure Life and it indeed seems to have made some major changes. Here's their website   http://www.sure-life.com/press_releases/press_release_3.html    and it features Tim Cook...not another one ;D.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

bshaner

I have no scientific study and havent done any research but I'll speak from personal experience. 

I like the please release me.  It really settles the fish down and relaxes them, as well as keeps them alive.  They just dont seem to be so stressed and spastic with the please release me.

The rejuvenade on the other hand really stimulates the fish and makes them super alive.  Almost like an amphetamine.  I used it for a portion of a season and ditched it.  The fish seemed more stressed to me and were constantly bouncing off the sides of my livewell.  I remember thinking that I was driving around fish on steroids (without the size of course :) ).  I truly was worried a few times the way the fish seemed extremely hyperactive.

As much as we stress fish by doing what we do in tournaments I cant help but believe that making them lethargic, relaxed and seemingly not stressed is the better way to go.  I've not had a fish die with the Please Release Me.  I have on the other hand thought my fish were trying to commit suicide by head bashing in my livewell with Rejuvenade.

My 10 cents,

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

REEL_MAN

I use the rejuvinade, I can only remember loosing one fish in the well. Never did think about what happened to the fish after they we released except I've seen fish that were struggling seem to come around when place in a live well with rejuvinade. I'm going to do some research on this one. How many of you have a temp probe in your live wells? I've had one for years and it really helps monitor the conditions that effect the fish. I know the lowrance and humminbird systems make it possible to have more than one probe and you can show it on the screen of the depth/GPS unit.
The best thing we can do is release the fish healthy.

REEL MAN

jgip087

You should check out the page on the new Catch and Release product at this link to answer some of your questions. http://www.sure-life.com/press_releases/press_release_3.html

survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

REEL_MAN

I did read it. But I would rather read info from independent sources not advertizing (my product is better than yours). I'll keep researching. I do know some guys have transported fish for a couple of hours (on rejuvinade) then released them in a pond and didn't have any losses (that they could find). so who knows????

REEL MAN

Team houston

I will be happy to use whatever independant studies proves best for the fish. I have used both products and have seen rejuvinade bring fish back from the dead. Since we live in such a fast pace world  hopefully very soon one of the products mentioned or perhaps a combination of the two depending on different factors will be proven most effective. Maybe even a new product altogether will show up and be the best yet. Maybe one of you college guys out there could do your masters thesis on it.

dashaver63

One of the boaters I fished with last year in the BFL told me that Rejuvinate has garlic in it that makes the fish act so lively and it's what helps bring them back.

jgip087

It does contain garlic, but that is not good for the fish!!! It stimulates them too much and only peees them off, the fish should have never had to have been brought back. Fish need to be treated properly when they are caught and originally placed in the livewell. Please Release Me and Catch and Release calm the fish and replenish them which is best for the long run of the fish. If a fish is almost dead rejuvenade will get it through the weigh in but then that fish is almost always going to die. It's not about caring for them when its too late but caring for them before that point, so rejuvenade does have a tournament purpose but it's not good for our fish in the long run. Read my Falcon post as well to account for fish care.
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

skeeterman190

Alright Im gonna throw my 2 cents in on this one. I agree with John on this one. The rejuvenade is not the deal you want. the fish are way too active and stressed out. That hurts them. I use the same product as him and have only had one fatality in like 2 years deep hook nothing you can do about that. I know this is everyones opinion on things really. And if it works for you ok im not sponsored or promoting just agreein. Im gonna make a new product (and this might get me in trouble??) hope not, on a stimuli made of well for this site, Canibus. That will calm them down and make them hungry when we throw them back. ;D-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Team houston

Let me clarify. I was not in a tourny. A buddy and I were fishing St. Clair. He caught a nice one on(3.5lbs) a rattletrap but the fish had the whole bait in its mouth. The back hook was in the gill and the fish was bleeding bad. Instead of letting the fish go and forgetting about it I decided to put it in the well and watch it. I checked after 15 min and the fish was on its side. 15 min later I checked again and the fish was upside down. At that point I put some rejuvinade in. After another 15 min the fish was on its side again. Another 15 min and it was upright. I regularly checked the fish for about an hour. It was still upright and looked good so at that point we let it go. Can I factually say that the rejuvinade saved that fish? no. I believe it did. I am not promoting the product. I have both and let the situation decide which one I use. I prefer calm fish but if one is deep hooked and I think its going to die I think it is a small price to pay to have my other fish excitable to save one or more.

MBell

Not a fan of rejuvinade, I tried it for about a month and started losing more fish.  Since I've been using please release me for the last three seasons, I've weighed in less than 5 dead fish.  More importantly than chemicals though is having good water in your livewells.  I plug my livewells on my triton and have a bubbler going all day.  This keeps the water high and oxygenated.  A lot of livewells will drain when the boat is running, so by the time you get in you'll be out of water.
-Matt     

cr

Thats a good idea , what kind of bubbler and where did you get it ?

jgip087

On the deep hook topic. Fill your cap of Please Release Me or Catch and Release and dump it straight into the mouth. This clogs the wound almost every time. I use it a lot for aggressive smallmouth that get hooked under the tongue. Bubbler is also a great idea but hydrogen peroxide from the store will actually boost oxygen transer even more, in a combination you are doing the best thing possible for them! Great to hear the steps you're taking Matt!
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

dashaver63

If you want a good alternative to adding chemicals to your livewell, install the Oxygenator. It totally saturates the water in the livewell with oxygen. When it gets hot out, ice and the Oxygenator is really all Ive used and haven't lost a fish. I don't use Rejuvinate, when I inquired about it to my BFL boater, we both had limits and the fish sounded like they were about to bust out of the livewells. You could hear them hitting the lids and I didn't think that could be good on the fish.

Team houston

After closing off the livewells and keeping recirculate on or any bubblers or oxigenaters going constantly, one more thing needs to be done. At least once during the day you should replace the water to get out all the fish waste. Then add ice again as needed. This is what a lot of the local big names do.

slsail

Rejunenade is a good product.
Never weighed a dead fish in 4 years using it.

I stopped using the other stuff when I was seeing marginal fisn 14" turning to 13.75 at the scales.
I have seen fish shrink and had to release them at the ramp because they shrink.
I do not have that problem with Rejuvenade.  I have conducted field tests on the water using different types of livewell treatments.  The seditives in some of the other products cause this shrinkage.  Do not know why but after reading about this on the net and experiencing it I tested it myself.
The important thing is to release them alive.

MBell

Quote from: slsail on April 17, 2008, 08:58:31 AM
I stopped using the other stuff when I was seeing marginal fisn 14" turning to 13.75 at the scales.
I have seen fish shrink and had to release them at the ramp because they shrink.
I do not have that problem with Rejuvenade.  I have conducted field tests on the water using different types of livewell treatments.  The seditives in some of the other products cause this shrinkage.  Do not know why but after reading about this on the net and experiencing it I tested it myself.
The important thing is to release them alive.
This is true, I know guys who will put rejuvinade on the fishes tounge right before weigh-in to get it to go.  Not something I have done myself, the fish loosen up and start to go nuts for a while.
-Matt

Waterfoul

My livewell doesn't have a recirculate option... it's either on or off.  I did add a timer switch last season and usually leave it set on about a 3-4 minute interval and it stays on for 30 seconds.  If I happen to have a "sick" fish I have been using Catch and Release with success.  Only lost one fish last season and that fish was dead (no idea why) within 1 minute of going into the livewell.  Wasn't deep hooked, wasn't gill hooked... it just died.  Worst part was it was a 3.5 lb smallie and would have been big fish at that tourney!!  >:(
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!