Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 12:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Bass moving shallow

Started by Stoker, April 24, 2007, 09:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoker

Went panfishing down to Coldwater Lake Sunday with my son Troy.  Actually saw bass starting to make beds and pair up.  Had water as warm as 68 degrees late in day.  We got our 50 gills and redears.  Takes a bit to clean, but sure taste good.  Caught some 12-13 inch bass on bobber rods.  Quite a fight on 4 pound test and wimpy
rods.  If we go again will definitely put some time in on the bass!

rufus

I live just across the state line from Coldwater in Indiana and went out last night and caught several off of beds. Most of the main lake areas around here are still 50-56 degrees, but the channel areas and shallow bays got really warm in the last couple days. I fish Coldwater a lot and it is a really good lake with an excellent smallie population as well. I don't know why, but before the 14 inch limit it was tough to catch a 12 incher out of that lake and now it is chuck full of nice fish. God Bless and Good Fishin'!

Revtro

Rufus, I'm not sure if you are talking about fishing in Michigan waters for bass at the moment, but please do not post reports about fishing for Michigan bass before the season starts.  I'm assuming you're talking about Coldwater in Michigan.  The season isn't open here in Michigan. 

We know there is a lot of disagreement about this topic, but with the law being what it is right now, GLB doesn't condone fishing for bass out of season and asks that anglers don't post reports prior to the season opens.  We don't want anyone to get in trouble.  You never know who's reading. 

So we encourage everyone to obey the laws here in Michigan.  If you are not talking about fishing in Michigan and this is some other "Coldwater", disregard with my apology.  Thanks! 

Please read: http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=647.0

Stoker, I realize you said you were panfishing.  Glad to hear you got to get out with your son.  Hope he had a great time!  Sounds like you slayed the panfish.  Awesome!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

josh617

everyone knows rufus lives in indiana he brags about that all the time ;) ;), the spawn is definetly gettnig started and should be full blown in many areas with the full moon on the 2nd.

SethV

I am sure Rufus was talking about Indiana as well. 

All of this contrversy just makes me tired.  I was thinking this morning about "life" in Michigan.  Man, it is just plain lousy!  I live in a state, where I can only purse my favorite hobby for about 4 months out of 12.  It is so hard to justify laying out cash for a boat & all of the gear when it just has to sit most of the year.  I have little interest in fishing for trash fish, so I can get out this time of year, but with no tournaments, really, what is the point?  And when I do get out, I can't "talk" about it.

I was talking to my old partner back in Oklahoma yesterday.  He has already had 3 points tournaments, and is almost 1/2 done with his tournament trails for the year.

Sorry about the rant, I am just missing the real world on this beautiful rainy day!   >:(  Lets just hope Michigan joins the free world some day and lets tournaments happen any time the water is soft.

Seth V

Revtro

Seth, I totally agree with you.  Michigan can be a real bummer sometimes.  Wish we could get it changed. 

Until then we just have to do our best to lobby to get things changed and deal with things the way they are.   :(  I hate it too.

Re: Rufus.  Like I said, it kind of sounded like he said he went across the border and fished in Michigan, but it wasn't that clear, which is why I commented.  It's not my job to try to tell people they should or shouldn't fish, but here at GLB we need to do our best to honor the wishes of our gracious host Dan regarding the discussions here. 

BTW- I'm totally jealous that you guys in Indiana are fishing right now.  3 more days...
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

motocross269

Seth V..I spent some time in Oklahoma...I hated it.  Nothing but dust storms and tumble weeds. 
It really isn't just Michigan, Most of the tourneys in this region don't get cranked up until the end of may.  I don't think the first Northern Stren tx is until June in Maryland.
I have been having fun fishing for walleye out of the DR.  It isn't all that challenging, but I am trying to stock up for some good eating over the summer.  If you haven't tried it get out there. 
Don't get me wrong it is pretty obvious that bass fisherman in Michigan play 2nd or third fiddle to the other species, but there are some opportunities.  Our BFL sacks Rank right up there with any state in the country that has Northern strain fish.

motocross269

I may have to try some of those tournaments next year.  Good point ebond.
Maybe we can hook something up early next year.  Does ABA do guaranteed boater-Coangler?

josh617

moto, the indiana northeast usually has more boaters than cos, so come on down. i may be down there as well with bondo. its definetly something to check out.

rufus

Sorry, I did not mean to imply I was fishing on Coldwater. I was actually fishing on Crooked Lake, the lake ebond was talking about, here in Indiana. It is about 2 minutes from my house. I only meant to mention that I lived close to Coldwater and that I fish it a lot. I only mentioned how the fishing was in Coldwater because Stoker said if he came back he was going to put time in on the bass. With 101 lakes in the county I live in and all the spring tourneys, I don't have time to leave Indiana to fish in Michigan this time of year. Sorry for the controversy and God Bless!

Revtro

Cool man.  Thanks for the Crooked Lake Report.  Thanks for understanding!   ;D
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

This is just a minor thing (no one's feelings should be hurt I hope) that I believe can be handled partly by splitting Bass Fishing Reports out into multiple state-specific boards. Just a brief reminder to mention the lake you're on when in another state that is open during the various closed seasons to alleviate any misunderstandings.

And a reminder to us poor lost souls in the closed states to remember that most states are not closed so we can avoid jumping to conclusions.

Revtro thanks for watching the policy for us and rufus thanks for quickly clearing things up. Your posts are always very popular with visitors to this forum.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

DDBethke

I can't even begin to type out my frustration on Michigan's Bass Season...All of us just wait and wait for the good weather to come  to get out and fish.....and then we get to wait another month and a half to do it! :(

I wonder how much revenue Michigan is truly passing up because of this? Just think once it comes to be Tournement Fishing time we (Bass Fishermen) fill up hotels, resturants,spend moolah @ bait shops and other retail stores.

My 2¢

Please Like my Facebook Page for the best Power-Pole pricing available!                                             http://www.facebook.com/TournamentReadyTackle
Optimum Baits Pro Staff
http://www.optimumbaits.com/
Reins Pro-Staff (Tungsten/Soft Plastics)
http://reinsfishing.com/
Twitter
http://twitter.com/DDBethke
Blog
http://duanebethkefishing.blogspot.com/

motocross269

That's allright ebond...I am a crazed Vet looking for the next big rush..That could be a bad combo on a road trip.  We would probably get banned.