Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 12:49:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Lansing Area Open Water?

Started by MSURoss, April 07, 2014, 09:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSURoss

Anyone have any conditions? Got a terrible itch to get the new boat out. Thanks

motocross269

Maybe the Grand River but watch out for ice flows and floating Debris... I went to a local inland lake (Lakeville Lake) yesterday and it was completely Froze over....Things should be looking better by the end of this week though...

MSURoss

Launched at grand river park. No floating junk so we had the rooster tail flying.  ;D

YpsiBass

A little jealous that you already got to take your new boat out while mine waits on title and registration...

Firefighter Jeff

Rooster tail is a waste of power, but it does look cool !!!!  LOLOLOL   8)

djkimmel

I think a rooster tail helps oxygenate the water - good for fish, right?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on April 12, 2014, 09:52:46 AM
  Rooster tail is a waste of power, but it does look cool !!!!  LOLOLOL   8)

Not a waste on all hulls Jeff.  Mine likes a bit of a roost... and I know when Rick owned Ross's boat it ran fastest with a bit of a rooster tail as well.  Maybe your not driving your boat right?  You should let me show you how!  LOL!!!    ;D  ;D

Then there are those that simply overtrim because thats what they think they are supposed to do... looks cool though!

So Ross, how fast did you get her up to?  How did it handle for you?
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

You don't want to over trim. That can be dangerous. PS: Michigan inland boating speed limit, unless otherwise posted, is 55 mph.

I once drew a guy in an early Redman who believed you shouldn't ever trim a bass boat out at all. Running down the Grand Haven Grand River in a hundred boat plus bass tournament that way was interesting... he commented on all the 'crazies' and their 'wasteful, dangerous bad boat driving' the whole way.

Until the big green bug hit him right in the eye ball...!!! Then he was too busy blindly swerving the boat saying, "I CAN'T SEE! I CAN'T SEE!" going into the big curve near Indian Channel.

MAN! That was exciting!!! Bass boats flying around us in all directions like a 50 ball pinball table while I pick big gobs of green bug off of his eyeball... good times... good times... ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Coop

Those bugs said "BOOYAHHH! TRIM ON THAT!"
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

MSURoss

[/quote]

Not a waste on all hulls Jeff.  Mine likes a bit of a roost... and I know when Rick owned Ross's boat it ran fastest with a bit of a rooster tail as well.  Maybe your not driving your boat right?  You should let me show you how!  LOL!!!    ;D  ;D

Then there are those that simply overtrim because thats what they think they are supposed to do... looks cool though!

So Ross, how fast did you get her up to?  How did it handle for you?
[/quote]

Mike I had her at 65.6 mph GPS on the Grand River (against the current) the other day with my buddy. Had a full load, extra battery and quarter tank ;D Still working on finding the "sweet spot" on the trim. Trimmed up she does have a decent amount of torque to the right...good thing I lift weights lol. By myself I think I can hit close to 70. Not sure how much more a 3 blade would give me...I'd rather spend my money on other things lol. The ride is amazing on the viper! Even on good amount of chop on Lake Lansing she just cruised.  

TheFishinPollock

Just remember , ever hull has a max MPH on it regardless of what ya do .   A 4 blade would give ya more lift , but cause more drag at top end.   

As for the torque. Don't you have hydraulic steering on that one?
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

MSURoss

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on April 15, 2014, 10:56:37 PM
Just remember , ever hull has a max MPH on it regardless of what ya do .   A 4 blade would give ya more lift , but cause more drag at top end.   

As for the torque. Don't you have hydraulic steering on that one?

No I don't... Wish it didn't cost 1k...

Waterfoul

After rigging it the way you want with electronics and such, steering is the first thing I'd add to that Viper.   Steering system:  $979.  Hoses are extra... you would probably need about $125 in hoses.  Start saving your money now!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

MSURoss

Quote from: Waterfoul on April 17, 2014, 08:53:13 AM
After rigging it the way you want with electronics and such, steering is the first thing I'd add to that Viper.   Steering system:  $979.  Hoses are extra... you would probably need about $125 in hoses.  Start saving your money now!

SeaStar Hydraulic?

Waterfoul

Yup.  I have it on my boat.  Installed it with Cy in a couple of hours.

MSURoss

Ok thanks! What model number did you use? I was going to put a hot foot and steering wheel trim on it. Plan on taking it in rougher water than Rick did.

Waterfoul

Standard Sea Star 1.7 Outboard steering, their part number HK6400A.  I will soon have the "blinker" wheel trim switch in stock.  The hotfoot I can't help you with.

MSURoss

Quote from: Waterfoul on April 17, 2014, 01:15:27 PM
Standard Sea Star 1.7 Outboard steering, their part number HK6400A.  I will soon have the "blinker" wheel trim switch in stock.  The hotfoot I can't help you with.

Looks like I can get the complete kit for 880$ on eBay...