Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 10:24:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Difference between male and female bass

Started by gmetime24, March 15, 2013, 02:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmetime24

My buddies and I have been discussing how to identify the difference between a male and female bass. Any thoughts?

YpsiBass

The males don't have bellies full of eggs.

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Got Fish??

I am told that, the shape of their anus is how you can tell. One  is crescent . The other is more rounded.

LGMOUTH

Ive always heard the Males dont open their mouths much and the Females wont shut their mouths. Thats just what Ive heard.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

Waterfoul

Quote from: LGMOUTH on March 16, 2013, 10:51:51 AM
Ive always heard the Males dont open their mouths much and the Females wont shut their mouths. Thats just what Ive heard.

I've heard of this also... it must be true.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Redbone

Quote from: LGMOUTH on March 16, 2013, 10:51:51 AM

I was going to say... One complains a lot more than the other. But your saying fits better. :P

djkimmel

I've had some fisheries biologists say it can be difficult to tell externally. Others say you can tell by this or that. I just figure if they are big, they're most likely female and if they aren't as big, they may be male. Or female.

Luckily, a 4 pound male weighs as much as a 4 pound female!

Are you guys thinking of starting an all male or all female bass club or something?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

jjjmpv22

Gmetime24 and I had a conversations about this and he said sounds like a good question to ask on GLB

t-bone

At spawn time when they are both on the bed, it is fairly obvious based on the size but I don't have a clue after that.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

gmetime24

Thanks for the input guys. No Dan we aren't looking into starting any clubs just thought I would throw it out there to start some discussion. I'm running out of things to talk about and this ice and snow need to go away so I can at least go pond fishing. It's been a long winter

djkimmel

I think it's a great topic. I've always wanted this website to be about education and understanding. There's a little stir crazy in all of us probably right now.

I was thinking that there are more clubs around the country that limit themselves to one type of fishing, one way or another, but I've never heard of a club that tries to target one sex of bass? Thought you guys might be starting a new trend and GreatLakesBass.com would be the news groundbreaker! ;D

The type of excretion in the spring is one way I can think of that you can probably count on. There are lots of other discussion out there about jaws and vent hole shapes. I think I might check with a fisheries biologist.

Well, sometimes online search can be helpful if you're careful - there's lots of misinformation or contradiction posted by anglers on the Internet - a common problem maybe? I found a 1986 study released The Progressive FishCulturist (1986) olume: 48, Issue: 3, Pages: 221-225:

Practical Field Methods of Sexing Largemouth Bass
by G W Benz, R P Jacobs (Connecticut Bureau of Fisheries)

Abstract
Several rapid and simple methods of sexing live mature largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides were assessed: the presence of absence of a swollen reddish genital papilla, the shape of the scaleless area surrounding the urogenital opening, and the depth and angle of probe penetration into the urogenital opening. The genital papilla method was 89% successful during the spring, but only 48% successful during the fall. The shape of the urogenital opening was a poor indicator of sex (53% of the fish were sexed correctly). Probing the urogenital opening was the best single method; it provided success rates of 90% (probe depth) and 94% (probe angle). The highest rate of sexing success (98%) was realized during the spring spawning season from a combination of the papilla and probing methods

I probably won't be attempting the most accurate method of sexing largemouth bass. I'm just going to guess... :D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.