Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 09:20:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Waterford DNR Meeting Last Night.

Started by dartag, March 28, 2017, 03:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

i attended the meeting last night.  It was a Light turnout except for some Musky guy.  Guess they are going to plant Musky's in inland lakes.  They had a little board set up but I didn't read it.  They did have the tournament statistics from the registration site.  Had a nice conversation with a young man from the St Clair division about Sturgeon in the river.  He said they are really thriving now.  There was a discussion on weed control but about all I got out of it was the DNR is going to be a little more involved with the DEQ.  There were no Enforcement Officers there since there was a meeting in Lansing that they were at.  They had no update on the Union Lake boat launch move and only 1 knew the White Lake ramp was closing.  She had read it in our local paper.  There was a young man at Union Lake and Cass Lake boat launches last summer taking data about fish catches.  He was there from April 1 to November 1.   I asked if they had tabulated the data and the guy said he was going to get to it one of these days.

Not really a great meeting but I am glad I went. 

The cookies were good.

Jay-MadWags

Really, they want to stock Musky in the inland lakes?  As is there is not enough Pike in the lakes in Oakland county. Now let's add Musky?  What a stupid idea. I called the DNR in the fall about all the Pike in Commerce Lake. Someone has stocked that lake for 6 years since 2008 and the DNR let them pull a permit to do it. DNR told me that should not have an affect on Bass population. I think hey are wrong considering I catch 3 to 6 Pike each trip out when I am not even targeting Pike. Adding Musky to the inland lakes is a horrible idea!
Just my $0.02.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

djkimmel

The muskie guys are really pushing their agenda to have muskies in more lakes. They are more active then bass anglers tend to be. The squeaky wheel gets the grease... especially if the MDNR likes them and/or their ideas...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Big dreams

My thoughts must be off.  Don't muskies dip into the size/quantity of all other species?  I don't see how planting musky to inland lakes is a good idea. 

robhj

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to disagree with most of what has been said regarding Muskie. I'm an avid Muskie & bass angler. Take some time to go to the MIDNR website and read the MI Muskellunge Mgt Plan. There really isn't a significant push to stock more lakes aside from the Great Lakes spotted Muskie restoration stocking efforts in some of the west Mi drowned river mouths lakes. The MIDNR has shifted there focus away from the northern Muskie strain and has begun only raising and stocking Great Lakes spotted muskies. The primary focus of many Muskie anglers is to work on reducing harvest &/or increasing MSL & habitat restoration. GLS muskies are native to Michigan but have never and will never be very common. We currently have around 115 lakes with Muskie populations and unfortunately most have very low densities. Muskies DO NOT dip into the size/quantity of other species unless you are a soft-rayed fish like a sucker. While they may occasionally feed on other game fish, they are not their preferred forage. Look at Lake St. Clair. One of the reasons it is such a Great Lake for multiple species is because of its balance of predator-prey. Muskie restoration and better protections would be a good thing for Michigan.

Jay-MadWags

I don't know of any inland lakes in the Oakland county area where Musky are a native specie. And I know for a fact that the Musky in Lake St. Clair eat smallmouth bass. So I say leave the Musky in LSC. I'm fine with that. But stocking them in inland lakes that are already overpopulated with Pike is the worst idea I have ever heard.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

robhj

That's why I said they are focusing on lakes/rivers where they are/were native. Muskies are only present in around 115 lakes, of which roughly 75 have self sustaining populations. They aren't looking to expand more beyond what they already have. I stated they do occasionally eat other gamefish but it's not their preferred forage. The focus of the MIDNR isn't to stock muskies in inland lakes that are over-populated with pike. I take it you didn't read the MI Muskie Management Plan. Not looking to argue with anyone, just a lot of misconceptions about muskies.

cameraguy

dartag

Quote from: cameraguy on March 30, 2017, 02:36:51 AM
Closing the ramp at White Lake?

Here is link to the press release.   Going to be closed all summer.  No fishing and lunch at the white lake inn this summer. 

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/03/11/white-lake-boating-site-in-oakland-county-to-be-improved/

djkimmel

Sure wish they would have started earlier, so finish earlier. One of my favorite fishing lakes. I'll have to remember not to try to go there.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

cameraguy

Hope they re-route the road so it doesn't still separate the parking lot from the launch. Crazy people use that road.

dartag

They are expanding the current lot and adding spaces.  They bought the lot to the north and tore a house down.  There will be an entrance and exit to Duck Lake Road so you don't have to drive through the neighborhood.   The launch is going to be in the same location but they are re-designing it.  No one knew what they were doing.   

spinningreelsbest

Hello,
I am worthless forum comment link spammer from Karachi, Pakistan. I been hired by crappy website owner using private registration on a crappy website to go around and add worthless posts on various forums to artificially boost my websites presence on search engines instead of creating a real website with valuable content someone would actually want to read!! Sorry. I go bye-bye now... bye bye.

Kerplammid is banned and reported...

Hollada

Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex