Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 04:44:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Umbrella Rig

Started by BIGSHOW, December 07, 2013, 08:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

I don't fish the umbrella rig much due to not having a heavier rod. Any tips on a good rod to use? Or line size? I had some ideas but looking for feedback. Thx in advance.

markgoetsch

I use a Powell Endurence 795 CF its a great rod for the A-rig and also a great Frog rod.

Manxfishing

I use the Frog rod that I have
Plus it has the 60# braid that works well

fishhound

There are a ton of rods out there that can throw it. The thing to remember is to go light on the heads. 1/8 oz is plenty.

Waterfoul

I throw it on a Bass Pro Shops MH action 7'11" telescoping Crankin' Stick.  It throws it very nice, even landed my personal best 7.89 lb largemouth on it last spring on Table Rock Lake (a $640 fish in the tourney we were fishing!).  I love this rod and they are not expensive.  Matched with a Shimano Curado and either 20 lb florocarbon or 50 lb braid... depending on the situation.  And because it's a telescoping rod it fits in my rod locker very easily.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bsimpson

I throw it on a Skeet Reese Swimbait rod, I think it's 7'11" and I use 20# florocarbon

Waterfoul

Quote from: bsimpson on December 10, 2013, 03:06:38 PM
I throw it on a Skeet Reese Swimbait rod, I think it's 7'11" and I use 20# florocarbon

Yeah, but is it yellow?  Yuck!!!!  LOL!!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

BIGSHOW

Thx for the replies. I also have light jig heads (I think 1/8). I try to stay small. It gets heavy for 5 of them. It would be nice to use it for heavy cover (frogs and such) also. I've never used braid. Is it easy to cast? As for the reel. I picked up a few lew's reels last year and really like them.

markgoetsch

I use braid (65lb) and it casts pretty easy but backlashes can be hard to get out.  As for the reel you want something SLOW 5.4 or 6.1.

djkimmel

I use P-Line Spectrex IV braid 50 or 65 pounds (consistently less problems with backlashes and other braid problems with this line) on castable umbrella rigs of regular size. I have used flipping sticks, and with lighter heads like you're talking I've used my 7' Grandt C10, 7' Grandt C11 and C76M (7' 6" graphite crankbait rod).

I have thrown lighter headed rigs on Fluorocarbon HALO 20 lbs test when I wanted to test if it made a difference. I have to do more testing on U.S. waters. Braid worked fine in the Amazon!

I go by the 'use the heaviest line you can get away with' school most of the time. I do have a light Reaper Rig by Kustom Kicker Jigs that I mostly throw on Fluorocarbon. It's like a finesse / light rig. Still working on it with Great Lakes smallmouth - shows promise. Definitely need more research time! Killer on white bass and schooling largemouth bass. The C10 is perfect for that rig!

For bigger castable umbrella rigs I do like the longer rod at least 7' 6" overall. I don't know yet if something closer to 8' will make a big difference. I may try that some day.

I cast the rigs with kind of a moderate-speed roll cast. It's hard on you, the line and the equipment if you try to cast the rigs with any snap in them. Some anglers report losing their rigs on break offs when they cast like normal. You will probably get many more tangles where the line wraps around the head and wires of the rig if you don't let it flip over smoothly on your casts.

You won't get as many overall casts in on a full day but you'll minimize snap-off risk and possibly avoid all messed up casts due to line wrap. So you'll get more working casts in.

I learned all this casting into flooded trees in the Amazon back in March 2012 for hours each day with heavier rigs. Makes accuracy into small places more challenging with looping casts, and you can't hit as many spots as fast but most people fish umbrella rigs out in open water. Rolling or looping your cast isn't much of a drawback on long casts in open water. You'll do better in the long run.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BIGSHOW

I like the g loomis NRX 7'7" EH. Nice rod but the $500 + price tag is making me cringe. Not as bad as the shimano stella reels. Holy cow, who buy's these things for over $1000 ? I thought I made a decent living but You would have to take a second mortgage to get a few new rods/reels.

djkimmel

I will never know... unless I win the lotto and can't think of other things I could do to make the world a better place. I have used plenty of $50 to $200 rods and reels and so far haven't felt like I'm really missing out on something. Light is nice but having enough good tools is better for me personally. Now, if someone just gives them to me... I would probably not say no... ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BIGSHOW

Looking at trying to narrow things down. I like the st croix legend TBC74HF which seems like it will handle an umbrella and even some frog or swimbaits. Also been eyeing the g loomis GL2956C which seems a little more heavy duty. I wish I could see it in a store. I went to Cabelas last night and they don't have much displayed but the basics. Anyone have and experience with these or any more input?? I feel comfortable in the 250 -300 dollar area. I have a lew's BB1 6.4:1 to go on it

BIGSHOW

I found a deal on a st croix 7' 10" h. Lure weight 1-4 oz. This sounds perfect fo the umbrella. I'm pretty sure thats all it will be good for though. Sounds kind of heavy duty for some other things like frogs.

Coop

Speaking of A-Rigs.. I never fished em.. Anyone tell me what are the best brand of A rigs out there. I know you can drop 25-30 dollars per rig. Im not really looking for the ultimate best, but I would like to pick up a couple to try this year. Also any ideas as to where you guys like to use them? Lakes / Situations / etc.. I think I have an idea but I wanted to put it out there. They seem like they could be advantageous, although I also see how they would be more of a benefit down south where shad are more prevelant.
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

BIGSHOW

I'm just getting into them myself. I have been looking for stuff on sale. I've fished them before but with under rated equipment. It can get expensive. I think its cheap enough i could resell it if i have to.

djkimmel

Use the BTD (Bass Tackle Depot) link along the right edge of the forum. You'll help GreatLakesBass.com if you do make a purchase and they often have sale prices on some of the various castable umbrella rig brands. I see them for less than $10 sometimes.

I would also check out the Reaper Rigs from Kustom Kicker Jigs that I mentioned above. They have a finesse version that works good for longer parts of the year (killer on white bass too). I use the Reaper Rig. I expect we'll see Kustom Kicker somewhere at the Ultimate Sport Show starting in Grand Rapids at DeVos Place today through Sunday.

Waterfoul

Kustom Kicker makes a good one.  The Yumbrella Rig is also a good one.  I don't think any particular rig will catch more fish than any other as I've caught fish on at least 3 or 4 different brands.  I think it's the baits you run that makes the biggest impact.  That said... Reaction Innovations Little Dippers (4") and Skinny Dippers (5") work very well.  As do Kaitech baits.  I've also had good luck with the Cabelas version of these baits.

Coop

Whats the regulation in Michigan for hooks per A-Rig?
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

JBASS

So with all said about the rig is anyone using them in Michigan and catching fish?
Thought about in front of Pier heads etc. or bigger waters but have not tried yet?