Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 08:42:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Stuck myself good last night.

Started by dartag, July 09, 2013, 10:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

So I am fishing Cass lake last night and catch a nice smallie on top water.  I lip the fish and he shakes his head and sticks a treble hook in my finger.   ( ouch ).    I reach for my pliars the fish goes crazy and I drop him.  Bad news is another treble sticks in my knee.  ( double ouch ).    I sit down to assess the situation and look around and there is no one in sight.  I get the fish un-hooked and in the live well.  Luckily the hook in my knee is only in a little ways.   I am able to get it out and it is only bleeding a little.  The hook in my finger is another story.  It is in below the barb pretty good.   About a year ago I stuck myself and got it out with the fishing line method.  I had read about it on the web.   I still had the line in my first aid kit.  I got it out and hooked it to the shift lever and was able to get the hook out.  Now my boat looks like some horror movie with blood spots everywhere.    Good thing it was raining all night.

Bottom line is if you have never read how to remove a fish hook I would recommend you take the time to read it.  There are lots of articles on the web.    Also cut a piece of line and put it somewhere that you can get to it easily.   

Firefighter Jeff

Been there, done that except I used the use needle nose pliers to run the point back out of the skin and cut off the barb.  Never realized that flesh was so tough to push the hook through.

PineLk 49

I have been so lucky and never had a barb go past the skin (knock on wood fiber glass or...). Have seen a few hooks dangling from others though ::).

Great read Dartag. I am sure some of the guys have a few hook stories they could share?

Dave

dartag

The on nice thing about being alone is I cried and nobody saw it :'(

YpsiBass

I've seen enough hook trauma that I never lip hook anything anymore unless it's a single hook.  Everything else I use fish grippers for or just hoist it in with the rod.  With as much typing as I do at work, it's annoying to do it wearing bandaids.

FishermanJohn

I've stuck myself good twice - once I used the fishing line method, the other I pushed the barb through and cut the hook.  I'm pretty sure that both were equally painful to remove but my selective memory has blocked the details of both.    :)

Lightningboy

I'd never stuck myself past the barb until two weeks ago.  Rods laying on deck, knelt on a crank by accident and sent one into my knee.

Did the string trick, and was blown away by how well it worked; barely felt it come out.

Although it loses it's value when the hook/barb is big.  Put a spook into a buddies scalp years ago while camping/fishing.  Had to go back to camp and cut the hook out with a scalpel.  Luckily, I had lidocaine & sutures with me, so he really didn't feel it when I cut, or when I put two stitches in.

His worst complaint was the weather was in the mid 90's, and he couldn't put his head in the lake to cool off... :'(

gmetime24

I never had this happen to me but years ago I had a dog that loved to try to snatch my lure as I would cast. She got one good hook to her mouth and never tried it again. Good thing she learned her lesson quick

Glad to hear you were prepared Steve and got the hook out OK