Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 04:34:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Fishing Canadian Water - Requirements?

Started by SethV, April 12, 2012, 07:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethV

Since Canada decided to be a pain with border crossing call in requirements, last year I didn't buy a Canadian licence or fish their water.

This year I have to since I am fishing the BASS Open and just can't fish out of Eliz Park without Canadian water.

Has anyone called the 800 number before a tx blastoff?  What if my co does not have a passport? 

Still wondering if it is worth it to call in or just go fishing?  I have never seen any Canada border patrol in that area.  Why does Canada have to be such a pain.  My licence was like $80 this year, I think they are trying to keep us out - make it difficult and expensive - combined with a silly short season and that will be the result!

I emailed the CSBA to ask them...this is the response:

While the law has not changed, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has modernized its reporting requirements for pleasure craft entering Canadian waters, in an effort to make it easier for private boaters to comply with reporting requirements.

All recreational boaters are required to present themselves upon their arrival in Canada as per the Customs Act (CA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). This includes all foreign boaters entering Canada, as well as private boaters who depart Canada and enter foreign waters, and subsequently return to Canada.

This obligation exists regardless of their activities while outside of Canada or their planned activities while in Canada. Arrival in Canada occurs when the pleasure craft crosses the international boundary into Canadian waters.

This provision applies regardless of whether or not boaters drop anchor, land, enter an inland tributary or moor alongside another vessel while in foreign waters.

Certain private boaters may now present themselves to the CBSA by calling the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC) from their cellular telephones from the location at which they enter Canadian waters. The following groups of individuals may report by cellular phone:

Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have not landed on U.S. soil; and
U.S. citizens and permanent residents who do not plan on landing on Canadian soil.

Owners/operators of private boats that are strictly weaving in and out of Canadian waters but are not in transit, will be required to call the TRC only once at the time of their initial entry into Canadian waters. If this activity changes, i.e., the vessel docks in Canada or takes on new persons or goods while in foreign waters, the boater must report directly to a designated marine reporting site and call the TRC upon their arrival in Canada.

All other private boaters, including those without cellular telephones, must proceed directly to a designated marine telephone reporting site and place a call to the TRC in order to obtain CBSA clearance. This includes all vessels carrying foreign nationals (other than U.S. citizens or permanent residents).

Upon entering Canadian waters, private boaters who qualify can present themselves to the CBSA by calling the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC) at 1-888-226-7277. As noted above, all other private boaters, including vessels carrying foreign nationals (other than U.S. citizens or permanent residents), must proceed directly to a designated marine telephone reporting site and place a call to the TRC in order to obtain CBSA clearance.

For more information we recommend that you consult our Fact Sheet on reporting when you enter Canadian waters at:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/096-eng.html

Thank you for contacting the CBSA.

Seth

motocross269

I talked to Todd Kohler on this....He basically said he called in as he was crossing the border with no issues....Call their number, give them the info they need, get your number from them and fish on....
There is no requirement for you and your Co angler to have a passport...
I posted over at LSC.net on this and got no real response...There is a lengthy post on it on the fishing forum but I was just trying to get the bottom line from the tournament guys....For now I am going to run with what Todd told me...

SethV

Thanks - I have heard the same thing, the risk is (as I am told) if you have to report to a port for a inspection, then everyone must have the right documents. 

Can you call when you get to where you are going in Canada, or do I have to shut down smack in the middle of the shipping channel and chat with the Canucks?

fiker

You are supposed to call when you first enter Canadian waters.  Unless they've changed something I was under the impression that leaving the U.S. going into Canadian waters and returning to the U.S. required either a passport or an enhanced drivers license.   Unless all parties on the boat have a Nexus card and then you can call earlier and inform them of your intentions.

Once you're in the system it is supposed to be easy.  The only time I called in last year I was given quite the hassle & I thought rudely so.   
I had to know the make model and registration numbers of my boat.  No problem.  I had to know the width of my boat and its draft.  The birth date of my partner & had to give it in Canadian format not month/day/year.   If I wasn't sure of something I was not to ask questions.   I was verbally reprimanded several times.

I suggest a pad of paper onto which you can record all of the info and just read it off. 
Ultimately they will give you a number that you have to record and keep with you for the day.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

BTW SethV, you missed the memo. The 2012 Bassmaster Northern Open is launching out of the 'new' Lake St. Clair Metropark, not Elizabeth Park.

Actually, lots of people missed the memo. It hasn't really been publicly announced a lot and the Bassmaster website still isn't updated but I got the confirmation from the new Lake St. Clair Metropark manager - a super nice, young guy Thomas Knuth, AND from the Bassmaster event scheduler verbally. So get ready for starting in Lake St. Clair. Some anglers are ecstatic and some aren't. I know I don't like running that river in the afternoon and I usually fish St. Clair. Wish they had started this while I was still fishing tournaments!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Seth - that is the FIRST time I have seen anything, anywhere in writing from a Canadian official that defines arrival in Canada as just crossing the invisible border in the lake as it applies to landing in Canada. I went through all their written laws and regulations available online this winter and could not find it clearly defined anywhere so they are still 'adjusting' things... I'm not talking about 10 minutes either. I looked for hours and never found a clear - this is it - definition of arriving in Canada versus landing in Canada. It was often used interchangeably.

Most people I talked to last year had a pretty smooth time calling the number. A handful had experiences like fiker's. Seems like some of the people you can get transferred to might be having a bad day or something (maybe with a little power trip sprinkled in?). If you question or argue with some of them things could go downhill. Maybe sometimes you get one on the phone who just finished with someone else who ticked them off? Who knows?

One person told me it took 10 minutes to get through 1 time. Most said they got through fairly quick. Many mentioned having to be transferred to someone in their area first. 1 person told me they were threatened with more severe action because they did not call as soon as they crossed the border - given their 1 warning I guess. 1 person called just before crossing the border and the agent told him he was not across the border, and would have to hang up and call back AFTER crossing the border... I don't know how accurate they can determine this stuff. Kind of unrealistic either way to expect someone in a bass boat to come off plane in a long run in the middle of the lakes just across the invisible border, maybe in rough water or where a signal is not good, but that is what they are enforcing at the moment.

They can order you to a marina to meet an officer. I have not heard of any bass tournament anglers having that happen. Anyone have this happen to them firsthand last year? Not what you heard from a friend of a friend but actually to you? Maybe right after the boater pairing ask your partner if they have ever had a felony, especially drugs or weapon-related. If so, you might want to reconsider fishing Canada or talk to the tournament director about swapping partners... (okay, hopefully that doesn't actually happen to anyone).

Since they have apparently redefined what arriving in Canada means, I do not feel comfortable at all trying to figure out what they require for proof of nationality anymore when 'arriving' in Canada? Seems like right now, no matter what I try to get clarified with whom over there, someone will run into an exception - someone who says what someone else told me is wrong. I know because I have already had several contradictory statements provided from Canada. That's why I haven't posted and definite here's what you do article on the topic.

I would say the odds are pretty low, but not 0. To me, if you are fishing border waters, just like knowing all the local fishing regulations and requirements, everyone should also know all the border regulations too. Yes, not everyone was ever clear on needing the fishing license and which one to buy, so sure, some anglers will say they have no idea there are these other requirements. That isn't an excuse and won't be if someone wins the 'report to shore' lottery.

I think the only safe thing for anyone planning on fishing tournaments on border waters is to have a passport with you. I imagine a number of anglers won't have that. I carry a real copy of my birth certificate too and have an enhanced license. I think if I was fishing tournaments there still, I would get the Nexus card so I could call before takeoff. The idea of stopping in the middle of the lake just across, but not short of the border, to make a phone call is not my idea of efficient boating. The problem still being that it won't work in draw tournaments like this one if everyone doesn't have the Nexus card but it is cheaper than the preregistered CANPASS program and lasts 5 years. A better deal for team tournaments. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/about-sujet-eng.html

Pain in the butt, but there's not much sense in getting knocked out of events because of any preventable technicality. Most people are just saying get the passport (not the passport card if you ever fly - the full passport). Times have changed. Change with the times.

I think - but I'm not guarantying it - if you have a legal photo ID (enhanced driver's license recommended) AND a real copy (not photocopy) of your birth certificate AND you are a US citizen, you don't need the passport to arrive in Canada by water. Here is some of the general Canada border information with links to related information -http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html. Lots of things on the page that don't apply to bass tournaments.

The real CANPASS program is helpful if you only fish team tournaments and BOTH of you get preapproved for CANPASS ahead of time. Then you can also call in up to 4 hours ahead of time. All persons in the boat have to be CANPASS members so not helpful for draw tournaments. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/canpassprivateboat-eng.html. The cost is reasonable for a year as long as you stay eligible. The page covers that.

For draw tournaments, you're probably all stuck with calling the CANPASS number right after you cross the border. Ask your partner the night before if he/she has the right identification too. You might as well know before you make the call in the morning. IF you can't get through on the 1-888-CANPASS (1-888-226-7277) for some reason (just in case) keep this number handy for Lake St. Clair and nearby - Windsor, Ont. 519-967-4320. That is the alternative number to call for the region if the toll free line is down or busy. That's what their website says anyway. I don't know what happens if you actually try to call it?

Maybe we should start a NEXUS card drive on all the Great Lakes region websites that get bass anglers visiting them? It is only $50 for 5 years. But, you do have to make an appointment to personally meet with a border agent in one of the NEXUS Enrollment Centers. For many of us, that would be Port Huron or Detroit. Not too bad if you only have to do it once every 5 years? You can start the process online. If we got quite a few anglers to think about and do it, might smooth out things for some of the draw boaters anyway?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I was actually hoping a little that someone high up would put enough pressure on the issue to start simplifying the fishing, but not landing in Canada situation specific to us. I was even hoping that enough new phone calls would come in to Canada that they wanted to do something different. Guess that hasn't happened yet...

I hope we have 1 more season of confusion and then someone in Ottawa decides to make everything clear by providing 1 list of what will work along with clearly stating what won't work pertaining to anglers who fish the water but never actually land in Canada. Something more reasonable than stopping your boat in the middle of the lake to call a phone number each time. Something that doesn't require everyone to agree to one or the other of preregistered CANPASS or NEXUS because that probably isn't going to happen unless they flat out require it. Many of us already have to get a passport anyway. Seems like we could use that number to call early maybe?

Everything is designed around landing in Canada and which was only referred to everywhere I found it in writing as just how it sounds - docking your boat at a marina, driving your land vehicle on to Canadian soil or landing on Canadian soil from an airplane. In many places, arriving in Canada was used along with landing in Canada interchangeably not as two different things with different definitions.

We normally never land. They know that. I actually have some additional hope with the new Lake St. Clair Tourism Initiative. Ontario is somehow involved. It is being driven by business through more tourism. Making everyone call every single time they cross is mostly doing one of two things - creating a lot of noncompliance that didn't exist before the 'new way' or causing some people to stop buying Ontario fishing licenses (for our area) and traveling to Ontario waters less.

Maybe the business people can reach the border people to come up with something that is more tourism-friendly? I'm hoping that is one of the byproducts of this new and exciting initiative along with maybe more national tournaments (in the works already) and maybe better bass seasons.

So, yeah, a pain right now. But maybe not a pain forever.

Now, if we can keep the US side from cracking down too while some of this other stuff works itself out, we'll be doing pretty good. There are regulations coming back that we are supposed to follow that aren't a whole lot different than Canada. They just haven't come up with the same have to call every time decision because we arrived in Canada and are now arriving back into the US.

In general, US border and customs has been going by whether or not you landed in Canada. If you land in Canada, you have to report at one of the official phone sites or a border crossing site before on the US side you enter back into the US. I hope they don't change that on any dramatic level. I usually ask the Detroit office about this every year. Not sure I should even bring it up this year. I think they are going to leave it the same from the last I heard. As long as you don't land in Canada (touch soil) you don't have to go to one of the official marina phones or a US border crossing site.

LennyB

Seth,
Just go fishing. I do not know of anyone being stopped on LSC when just fishing. The only time I heard of any being pulled over was two years ago when the coast guard stopped them because they were in a cigarette boat raising back across the border and looked suspicious, and then they just wanted to see if they had stowaways. The guys that call in are the only ones getting harassed, if at all. I would make sure both you and everyone on-board has the proper documents for crossing the border however. I know guys that have been going back and forth every day for years and have never been asked if they called in. The Canadian border patrol aren't out there and their DNR guys just want you to have a fishing license. The only time it is even mentioned is on these forums.  

motocross269

Quote from: MBFT on April 13, 2012, 02:21:22 AM
Seth,
Just go fishing. I do not know of anyone being stopped on LSC when just fishing. The only time I heard of any being pulled over was two years ago when the coast guard stopped them because they were in a cigarette boat raising back across the border and looked suspicious, and then they just wanted to see if they had stowaways. The guys that call in are the only ones getting harassed, if at all. I would make sure both you and everyone on-board has the proper documents for crossing the border however. I know guys that have been going back and forth every day for years and have never been asked if they called in. The Canadian border patrol aren't out there and their DNR guys just want you to have a fishing license. The only time it is even mentioned is on these forums.  

Todd said he got stopped and I know of at least 2 other guys that got stopped and checked to see if they had their crossing number....I wouldn't chance it...These are all guys that are out there alot...

It would stink to get called in for an inspection after launching for a tournament...I haven't heard of that happening...

SethV

Quote from: djkimmel on April 12, 2012, 10:48:31 PM
BTW SethV, you missed the memo. The 2012 Bassmaster Northern Open is launching out of the 'new' Lake St. Clair Metropark, not Elizabeth Park.

Actually, lots of people missed the memo. It hasn't really been publicly announced a lot and the Bassmaster website still isn't updated but I got the confirmation from the new Lake St. Clair Metropark manager - a super nice, young guy Thomas Knuth, AND from the Bassmaster event scheduler verbally. So get ready for starting in Lake St. Clair. Some anglers are ecstatic and some aren't. I know I don't like running that river in the afternoon and I usually fish St. Clair. Wish they had started this while I was still fishing tournaments!!

Wow, thats a Bummer!  Really wish they would decide that stuff up front.  I like Erie MUCH better that time of year.  Not a fan of LSC at all in early July.  O well....    :(

Is the "new" Metro Park in the same location as the "Old" Metro Park?

Eric

We tried it last year to see what it was all about one day the I rode with my hilbilly buddy from Georgia to show him Erie (cuz he had never seen a wave bigger than 6 inches or a lake bigger than Kelly's Island).  He called when we launched, but was told he had to call back once he was actually in Canada.  He did and it was no big deal.  Couple minutes on the phone answering real simple questions.  The next day, Carrol called in again and they asked if I was with him. Even quicker that day.  It sure wasn't a bad experience.  I didn't bother doing it when I practiced without him or during the tournament, but I wouldn't not go becasue of it.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

djkimmel

Quote from: SethV on April 13, 2012, 08:29:11 AM
Wow, thats a Bummer!  Really wish they would decide that stuff up front.  I like Erie MUCH better that time of year.  Not a fan of LSC at all in early July.  O well....    :(

Is the "new" Metro Park in the same location as the "Old" Metro Park?

Same park. New management and support, even desire, to host major bass tournaments. Like I said, some people are really happy about it and some people aren't. Kind of like every time something is changed. They changed it a while ago but haven't announced it anywhere officially yet.

djkimmel

Quote from: Eric on April 13, 2012, 12:47:28 PM
We tried it last year to see what it was all about one day the I rode with my hilbilly buddy from Georgia to show him Erie (cuz he had never seen a wave bigger than 6 inches or a lake bigger than Kelly's Island).  He called when we launched, but was told he had to call back once he was actually in Canada.  He did and it was no big deal.  Couple minutes on the phone answering real simple questions.  The next day, Carrol called in again and they asked if I was with him. Even quicker that day.  It sure wasn't a bad experience.  I didn't bother doing it when I practiced without him or during the tournament, but I wouldn't not go becasue of it.

Like I said, most people seem to be having a fairly easy time with the call. I try to get the information to you all of you so you can decide what to do with it. I sure won't recommend ignoring laws and regulations. Tournament anglers have enough challenges and risk without adding any more by choice but that is every individual's choice. Just be safe out there and good luck.