Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 12:14:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Torn Jack Plate

Started by MadWags, August 17, 2009, 09:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadWags

Check this out.

I found this on the internet yesterday while doing a search on jack plates.
The reason I was doing a search is becaue I noticed yesterday when I came off the water that my jack plate is tearing apart. I guess I was lucky to not have a catostrophic failure. My heart sank. I have the same jack plate as in the video.
I am going to replace it with a different manufacturer as I see a trend here. Something is wrong with the design or metal that makes it suseptable to fatigue.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

SethV

I can't view the video - what brand/size is it?  I have run a Bob's on my last couple boats, seems to hold up pretty well.

Seth

motocross269

I have been getting in the habit more and more of checking my motor mount bolts and Jack plate.....

I was just reading on another Forum that the boat that had to be rescued up at the Northern Divisional in Escanaba had their motor come loose....

MadWags

The jack plate is an R&R Design, Inc. Slide Master 12" setback. I am purchasing a Vance Mfg. JPL-4630. This unit is designed for 300hp motors. I am running a 250hp.
Does anyone have the bolt that fits in the top of the motor block for lifting? I would like to borrow it for a day.

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

canvsbk

As I was told by the co angler, the motor came off, not just loose. Then it climbed right in there with the boys and tried to turn them into chopped meat. :o
Yup, the jack plate broke. Tends to kinda give you an uneasy feeling when you put the hammer down. ???
Look past what they want you to see.

motocross269

Quote from: MadWags on August 17, 2009, 11:43:51 AM
The jack plate is an R&R Design, Inc. Slide Master 12" setback. I am purchasing a Vance Mfg. JPL-4630. This unit is designed for 300hp motors. I am running a 250hp.
Does anyone have the bolt that fits in the top of the motor block for lifting? I would like to borrow it for a day.

If you can give me the call out on the bolt I can probably hook you up with something....It is probably metric so I may have to check to be 100 percent sure...

smbassman

Mercury?  I have the lifting ring for a Mercury, but I am in the Saginaw area.  Let me know if you can get it somehow.

I will have to view the video when I get home.  No youtube at work.  I have a 6" slidemaster and it seems to have held up fine.  I always wondered about the strength of any 12" + jackplate.  Might hold out for straight speed runs, but great lakes rough water is a different story. 

MadWags

Yamaha VMAX HPDI.

The motor has 3 lifting rings in place so I am going to try using those.
Thanks for the offer.

djkimmel

Quote from: canvsbk on August 17, 2009, 12:52:06 PM
As I was told by the co angler, the motor came off, not just loose. Then it climbed right in there with the boys and tried to turn them into chopped meat. :o
Yup, the jack plate broke. Tends to kinda give you an uneasy feeling when you put the hammer down. ???

Having had two near outboard 'Cuisinart' episodes in my history... I can state firsthand there is a definite pucker factor involved...

Reservoir fishing good... floating trees bad...

Great Lakes fishing good... huge wind and cruise ship waves bad...

Check those bolts and jack plates often. Every rough weekend follow up plan.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MadWags

Replaced my plate yesterday. I was moments away from looking exactly like that video.
Here is a picture of my plate.

VinceR

WOW! That's just plain old scary. Glad you found that before a mishap occurred.

motocross269

I checked my 6 inch plate out today...I have a slight 2 inch line where the channel meets but doesn't appear to be cracked all of the way through...I am going to monitor it for the rest of this year...I am thinking about a repower in the future so I would like to try to get by for the rest of this year....

Wags that is really strange for the plate to tear in the direction that it did...no seam and not laterally...

MadWags

I sent the plate back to R&R Design yesterday. The owner called me. He wanted it for observation. He is sending me a new one free of charge.