Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 01:50:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Rods you use for multiple purposes

Started by Mojo, February 15, 2015, 02:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I'm curious, for a serious co angler who has to maximize his versatility with reduced (albeit still high end) equipment, what rods do you use for multiple techniques ?

For instance, I have a different rod for tubing and Dropshot. This is mainly due to the need to drive the tube hook (or that driving the DS hook is effortless).  Now I also need that because in the first hour of a tournament, or due to where the boater takes me, I need to go back and forth until the fish tell me what is going to dominate that day. Well the good news is I found a rod by RAZR (C15) spinning med 7'0, that has a touch more umph to hook set a tube, but is an absolute perfect spinning rod for Spy Baits. Has ultimate sensitivity, but somehow has an e-glass like tip for the tiny treble hooks. I use the 6-8 lb floro, and a Stratic 2500 for both so it works.  They are lifetime warranties, $200, and same light bass quality as Dobyns champion extreme or a Grandt Paraya.

Another dual purpose rods I bring with is an Dave Fritts 7'0" med for shallow cranks and rattle traps.  Anyway - how bout ?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Manxfishing

Mike,

The rods are interesting
But I myself can't find were there made, by who or with what blanks
What I do know is there's one guy behind them
It's Capt. Rick LaPoint. He's a guide on table rock
http://www.strikebass.com/
The only reason I know this is. He sells a Ranger 620 every year and I've looked at his boat or boats in the past. plus at one time I'm pretty sure he fished the FLW Walleye tour

If you find out who makes them or what blank they use. Let us know
There interesting

bigjc

When I are preparing to fish out of the back seat I typically take 5 rods.  1) med/heavy baitcast, usually 6' 9" or 7'. 2) cranking rod 6'9" or 7' baitcast 3) heavy action baitcast 7" or 7'6" 4) one versatile spinning rod 6'6" to 7' med. action and I select the final rod based upon the body of water I am heading to.

Mojo

Quote from: Manxfishing on February 15, 2015, 07:52:21 PM
Mike,

The rods are interesting
But I myself can't find were there made, by who or with what blanks
What I do know is there's one guy behind them
It's Capt. Rick LaPoint. He's a guide on table rock
http://www.strikebass.com/
The only reason I know this is. He sells a Ranger 620 every year and I've looked at his boat or boats in the past. plus at one time I'm pretty sure he fished the FLW Walleye tour

If you find out who makes them or what blank they use. Let us know

There interesting

Pretty sure Grandt makes em, except by his design, which I like allot.

Got Fish??

When I get an invite  on someone else's  boat. I tend  to respect  space on the craft. I bring 3 rods of different   lengths and action, most of which  can be used for any  presentation. I usually  know we're we are going and what fish we  will target. A 7ft-med-hevy, a 6 ft -med -hevy and a 5.6 or less med action. One fast tip and  two med tip.All rods are at  least 60 ml of carbon  fiber. I like spinning  gear. As far as brand  of rod, what ever fits in my hand and feels good. And fits my price range.

motocross269

When I go as a Coangler on LSC my crankbait rod also  is the one I use for spinnerbaits...I spool it with 12lb flouro...
Then I bring 4 spinning rods...2 for Dropshotting and spy baiting and 2 for tubes.....I use 2 different jig weights on the tube rods and on the DS rods I use different size hooks...The bigger the DS bait the larger the hook....Usually somewhere between number 2 and 2/0...
I just have to cut off one of the DS rigs and I can use it for spybaiting...It's a little heavier than my primary spybait rod but it works..

MSURoss

A 7' MH bait casting rod can pretty much cover every technique you would use with a baitcaster... maybe besides flipping/A-Rig or throwing lighter cranks. I don't like noodle rods (except for strictly cranks) and really like shimano and st. criox rods. Not really into the blanks the custom rod builders are using, like the high modulus.

djkimmel

I'm not known for bringing a little stuff. I've decided that's okay... ;D I get bored easy.

I really like my Grandt C10. I've said that before. Use if for spinnerbaits and for bigger, shallow cranks. I can switch reels and line and use if for medium and small cranks but I don't usually do that because I have other rods for crankbaits. I really like crankbaits. (because bass like them)

I may use a few rods for 2 different techniques but it seems too much like making compromises that compromise efficiency so I don't do a lot of it. I have a hard time going bass fishing anywhere in Michigan with less than 8 rods - usually 9 or 10 if there's largemouth and smallmouth mix, and especially if there is a mix of deep and shallow stuff. Sometimes I take extra reels with different line and just swap reels.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

I can get by on 2 rods.  A Powell 701 Med Lite spinning and a 703 Med Heavy Casting rod. Since drop shoting or jig fishing is what I do most they work for me.  Got lots of other rods in the boat but they hardly see daylight. 

Looked at Halo rods the other day and they really look and feel nice.  Grips are the same material that are on golf clubs.     

djkimmel

You and I are opposites. The world needs us both for the balance... :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

I just bring too many rods and trip over and untangle them all day.  I hate retying!!  LOL!!

One rod I do multi-task with is my 7' MH Bass Pro shops crankin' Stick.  I use it for Medium diving crank baits and for throwing an A-rig.  Usually have 20lb floro on it (so I don't throw the A-rig around snaggy wood with it!).  It's been a great rod for me for many years.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

I don't like to retie either... I haven't figured out what rod I like throwing umbrella rigs on yet. I've been trying several out. I had fun pitching heavy rigs into the flooded trees in the Amazon! 80 pounds test P-Line Spectrex for that and hoping a really big one didn't snap the rig off more than the tons of wood. I've been using 50-65 pounds Spectrex up here in North America along with 15 and 20 pounds test P-Line HALO too. That's pretty tough stuff.

dartag

Must be tough being an international  fishermen.  All the decisions to make.

My son has the best system.   1 Powell rod with a drop shot tied on.  A bag of Green Pumpkin Case drop shot worms in his pocket and he is ready to go.  Usually ends up with 2 or 3 of our keepers per tourny.  He is the drop shot king.

Waterfoul

Quote from: dartag on February 18, 2015, 04:31:38 PM
Must be tough being an international  fishermen.  All the decisions to make.

My son has the best system.   1 Powell rod with a drop shot tied on.  A bag of Green Pumpkin Case drop shot worms in his pocket and he is ready to go.  Usually ends up with 2 or 3 of our keepers per tourny.  He is the drop shot king.

Well since he is younger than I am, he's a prince at best.  Everyone here knows that I AM THE KING OF DROP SHOTTING!!!!  Won more money with my drop shot rod than all my other rods put together.  KING I tell you, the KING!   ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mojo

Quote from: djkimmel on February 18, 2015, 02:48:52 PM
I don't like to retie either... I haven't figured out what rod I like throwing umbrella rigs on yet. I've been trying several out. I had fun pitching heavy rigs into the flooded trees in the Amazon! 80 pounds test P-Line Spectrex for that and hoping a really big one didn't snap the rig off more than the tons of wood. I've been using 50-65 pounds Spectrex up here in North America along with 15 and 20 pounds test P-Line HALO too. That's pretty tough stuff.

Believe it or not, my frogging rod with a 15 lb floro leader tied on. BUT - man when they hit, theres no up take like a true DS rod or you really feel how muscled a good smallie really is....

dartag

sounds like it is time for another Drop Shot Only event.  We had one a couple years ago and it was fun. 

Waterfoul

Quote from: dartag on February 21, 2015, 07:07:59 AM
sounds like it is time for another Drop Shot Only event.  We had one a couple years ago and it was fun. 

Do you need to know how to spell my last name so you can make the check out?   :D :D

The Drop Shot KING has spoken.  8)

Mojo

Quote from: Waterfoul on February 21, 2015, 02:32:46 PM
Quote from: dartag on February 21, 2015, 07:07:59 AM

Do you need to know how to spell my last name so you can make the check out?   :D :D

The Drop Shot KING has spoken.  8)

Only because you haven't fished against me in a DS only event........  ;)

fiker

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

dartag

DS Wannabees...   Cabin fever must be setting it.