Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 05:40:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bored!!! What is happening out there?

Started by Waterfoul, January 08, 2013, 02:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Quote from: Redbone on January 09, 2013, 08:03:56 AM
Quote from: thedude on January 08, 2013, 09:31:07 PM
turning them on and off requires bending down to press the button. mine stay on until i hit the master power switch at the end of the day. granted, i don't turn the front on until i get to the first spot.

Are you running a seperate battery for electronics?

I don't have a seperate electronics battery but I do run a Deka M6 group 27 high reserve starting battery.  It has 1050 cranking amps and a 182 minute reserve, which is better than some deep cycles.  It starts my Merc, runs the livewells, and both fish finders.  It's been in the boat since spring of 2012 with no issues so far.  I do turn the brightness down one or 2 notches on the 997 at the dash though.  Still very visable and draws about 1/4 less power than full brightness.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Redbone

Didn't you get a dead battery last season?

Waterfoul

Quote from: Redbone on January 09, 2013, 01:00:25 PM
Didn't you get a dead battery last season?

Yes, but that was a charging issue with the motor, not the fault of the battery.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

I have the same battery for my starting/electronics. We were on Manistee for almost 12 hours running electronics and livewells. It was close, but it still fired the big motor up.

Lightningboy

Just curious, but how are you determining that turning down the brightness is reducing power use by the unit?  Ammeter hooked to it?

Waterfoul

I could actually see the voltage go up a touch on my volt meter when I tested it in the garage... not a ton, but anything helps on a long day.

Lightningboy

Interesting.  I may have to measure the power use by my units with and without backlighting.

Although the worst offenders are pumps.  Gotta keep the livewells pumping, but boy they suck power if you're not driving much.

TheFishinPollock

Here ya go waterfoul    22 inches,  12 inches around

Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Mike S.

At least it's not brown!!  I just had to get a poke in at you while I could. There's not a whole lot of conversation going on lately.  ;D. I expect it to come back around.

Waterfoul

Firefighter Jeff

TheFishinPollock

It was fried, um in some real butter !!!!!  Ate the whole thing all by myself like a big boy!  :D
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Big dreams

Quote from: Lightningboy on January 09, 2013, 10:48:08 PM
Interesting.  I may have to measure the power use by my units with and without backlighting.

Although the worst offenders are pumps.  Gotta keep the livewells pumping, but boy they suck power if you're not driving much.

I do the same as many people on here and leave the electronics on after the first stop.  Normally I leave them on until the trip back to the launch.  I have an HDS 5 up front and an 8 on the console.  I have fished two full days without any issues on my batteries. 

Waterfoul

Bringing this back to the top because I haven't seen a customer in about an hour.... so what's going on out there???

Anyone shopping for a new boat?
Who's planning a trip out of state this spring?

Mike S.

I'm always shopping for a new boat. My wallet always stops me though.

Got Fish??

Wow. you guy's are bored. You should go  down to the Monroe Fishing Show. It is the 2ND weekend in Feb. There will be Lot's of different types of tackle there. With several local tackle company's. I will be at the Mad Viking Tackle booth on Saturday.

Dan

I just bought a Stealth Charging system for my boat last spring. It charges the batteries whenever you are up and running and it has an optional switch that I got that if your starting battery goes to low to start the boat for whatever reason you just flip a switch and it uses the power from your trolling motor batteries to start the boat. Really nice back up feature. You cannot beat a Stealth Charging system. KVD runs them and they are top of the line with top of the line support.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Lightningboy

I drool over the stealth charge system, but just never seem to have the cash to drop; always something else to buy.  Bonus on the stealth charge system is that you're charging the batteries ASAP.  Charging right after discharge lengthens your battery life.

Anybody used the Oxygenator system in their livewells?  Supposed to use much less power than regular pumps.  Just a lot of cash to take a chance.

Big dreams

What is the big deal with the Oxygenator?  I hear people talking about it and the advertisement.  From what I understand it puts out a myst spray that adds more oxygen compared to the standard jet spray?  Is that right?

Waterfoul

Quote from: Big dreams on January 22, 2013, 10:16:50 PM
What is the big deal with the Oxygenator?  I hear people talking about it and the advertisement.  From what I understand it puts out a myst spray that adds more oxygen compared to the standard jet spray?  Is that right?

Nope, it's acutally under the waters surface and takes the water and ADDS oxygen to it via very, very small bubbles so the O2 can be absorbed by the water mollecules easier.  And yes, they do work well.