Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 08:06:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Carbon tax.?? We aren't paying enough already for gas

Started by motocross269, March 20, 2008, 05:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

Check this out....You think it costs alot to fill a tank now??? It will just get worse if this goes through...Please contact this Rep and give him your opinion...
www.house.gov/dingell/carbontaxsummary.shtml
I consider myself a moderate Democrat, but this will kill the working man...

gbaade

So basically he wants to punish Americans for a problem that may or may not be real. And even if it is real it's a worldwide problem, not just the terrible USA. And if I'm not mistaken, which I'm not, China is the biggest polluter bar none. Typical Washington politician killing working folks.

1javelin

There's a comment mark in that article and I made sure mr. dingell knows where I stand on taxing fuel higher.  What a joke.

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

dmills4124

Earth and Mars are both having global warming at the same time according to NASA. What do they both have in common that could be creating it? The Sun? No, it's got to be humans as the virus that has infected and is destroying the planets. NOT!
The head of the NOAA in a recent speach told america that global warming is a scam and that the only way to stop it was for the NOAA to sue AL GORE in court. His movie that jump started this new religion full of blind followers has been prooven to have no less than 11 wrong statements of so called fact. He got a nobel pize for this.!? LOL LOL
  Now lets not change what may be causing these so called large carbon foot prints but just throw money at it. He boldly states that the money collected will NOT go towards the (so called)problem but put into welfare programs. Let me say I am not against the programs already out there and being funded. Kim and I are both permanently disabled and are very greatful to GOD for what we do have. Our limited income will never be increased enough to cover all the increases these new taxes and their side affect cost increases will cause.
  Our industry has already started addressing these issues years ago which is evidenced by the new Evinrude, Mercury and yamaha engines. Let the cotton pikin public change these things with their dollars through the cash registers of america. Demand for a need has always been answered by Americans since our creation to fix real problems. Throwing more taxes and tax money at anything does just the opposit of its intended purpose.
  Thats all I have to say on that. (said in my best Forrest Gump voice)
  Later for now and God bless and help us.
don m

fishinfiend

Global mean temperature around the world has been increasing for decades.  Global warming is occurring, this is unequivocal.  The point of contention is whether or how much of this warming is anthropogenic, or man-made.  This is a difficult thing for climatologists and atmospheric scientists to measure because there is not much knowledge regarding the radiative forcing effects of water vapor. 
On another note, many people are confused about the most probable effect of global warming.  It is not just that spring, summer, fall, and winter get warmer.  Weather patterns will change dramatically as well, and many hypothesize that the patterns will be harsher.  Take the increasing number of higher level hurricanes.  Warming oceanic surface temps, also a proven fact, are to blame for this phenomenon.
In regards to China being the largest polluter, this may be true of things like mercury and NOX emissions, as the US has more stringent regulations on these.  However, our carbon emissions count for over 25% of all emissions worldwide, making us a leader in global warming, if it is indeed the effects of CO2 causing it, which computer modelling concedes.

Duke

The world is warmer today than it was: fact.

It would be a good idea to cut down pollution for the sake of all even if it isn't causing the earth to warm up: I think so, I've got a child on the way.

But does raising the price of gas change anything? It only changes our checking/savings account. We need gas, why tax that?

Here's an idea. Put a tax on beer! Can you imagine how much money the government would make on Super Bowl weekend? or right now during March Madness? Seriously, if we want to tax the luxuries of life and not the necessities what better solution is there? Just put a $.25 tax on every 12ounces of beer. "Be American, drink up!" We'll drink that deficit away in no time!
Duke

fishinfiend

The reason that a tax would be placed on gas rather than beer is simply a matter of the elasticity of demand.  In other words, like you said, people NEED gas, so even if the price goes up like it has been, there will be a fairly negligible change in the quantity of gasoline demanded.  If there was a tax on beer, I'd just drink liquor. 

gbaade

China is the leader in CO2 emissions also. Look it up if you dont believe me. They passed us because the economy there is growing so fast. So like I said before. They want us to pay for an unproven problem even though the whole world may be partly to blame.

I also saw where this winter was the coldest since 2001.  ???

I want someone who doesnt have a financial stake in this hype to do a real study on it. And give unbiased results so people can decide. Al Gore has millions tied up in carbon credits that are worthless right now. Hmmmm why would someone invest in something worthless. Maybe because if he can get people scared enough the government will pass certain laws that make him alot of money.

Nice private jet and Suburban fleet you have there Mr Gore.  :o When I see you driving around in a peanut oil fueled Japanese sub compact then maybe I will take you people seriously.

fishinfiend

Regarding China being the number one producer of CO2 emissions, this is quite possible since the book I was referencing is circa 2000.  However, they are only the leader in TOTAL emissions, not per capita emissions (really Qatar is).  They have a population over one billion people and are not much more than the US as far as total CO2 emissions.  Which means that each American uses AT LEAST the same amount of CO2 as two Chinese people (see below).  That's the root of the problem that these policies are attempting to adress, making our daily routines more sustainable and less damaging to the environment. 

Chinese population:  1.3 billion
U.S. population:  almost 304 million

Total chinese CO2 emissions are 8% larger than U.S. emissions but their population is over 400% larger, in other words we're bigger polluters.

Revtro

Gentlemen... very respectfully,
The last thing I want to do is add fuel to the controversy, but some have mentioned that global warming is unequivocal and fact.  I am not arguing or saying anyone's wrong here...  However, for anyone with an open mind who wants to look at unbiased facts regarding global warming, check out the MANY articles and studies here:
http://wjr.com/Article.asp?id=458274&spid=6552

Someone else mentioned that it would be nice for studies to be done by someone who doesn't have a financial stake in the global warming hysteria.  These articles contain many such studies and alternative scientific opinions that you may find quite enlightening. 

Please take the time to read through the various articles, you might be surprised.  It's worth the time to investigate.  Just my take on things.  ;D

BTW- Might we want to move this discussion to the Free For All section? 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Skulley

Right now I am looking out my window and it's snowing.  That's right.........snowing.  Good Friday 2008 and it's snowing.  If there were global warming, I would be getting the boat ready for the fishing trip I would be going on tomorrow and be reveling in my catch from today.  And you want to talk about global warming.   ::)

BD         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

1javelin

Just left Kalamazoo a few hours ago after Boyd's seminar, with around a foot of snow on my car that had 0 on it when we arrived this morning.  Global Warming?  How about El Nino Crazy Weather!!!!!

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

fishinfiend

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/Fig.A3.lrg.gif

I'd say in general NASA has a good idea what's up.  You know sometimes they confuse standard with metric, but in general these guys are pretty smart.  They're rocket scientists after all.  I'd like to point out that global warming can still effect regional cooling anomalies.  People always seem to confuse CLIMATE with WEATHER.  Snapshots of weather patterns at a specific point in time are very poor indicators of climatic trends.  This year we had probably a foot of ice on our lake, but that doesn't mean we do every year.  You have to look at ten or twenty years to see trends in CLIMATE.  Trends in weather simply need a few days.  Notice how the zig zag line isn't ALWAYS higher from one year to the next on the graph, that's what a lot of people have trouble understanding.  Think of a deer bounding up a hill, some jumps are higher than others, but it's still moving upwards.

dashaver63

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060720103605.htm

Very interesting article I found. I thought I remembered this from college about the effects of methane hydrates from the oceans floor. It is 23% more dangerous to the atmosphere than CO2. It is believed to be the reason for climate changes through out the history of Earth. At one time the Antarctic region had the climate of the Amazonian rain forests. Scientists found samples of plant fossils deep under the ice sediment in antarctica that supported their ideas. CO2 is still a growing concern as far as green house gasses go, but co2 is not the only culprit here.

fishinfiend

Yeah I've heard that from somewhere.  Aren't these the giant bubbles that cause rogue waves that sink ships?  Very interesting article for sure