Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 03:08:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Does the Big 3 affect your job Poll.

Started by dartag, November 30, 2008, 12:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

who is affected by the Big 3 poll

The Big 3 affects my job
14 (66.7%)
The Big 3 does not affect my job
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: December 14, 2008, 12:57:20 PM

dartag

wondering how members jobs are affected by the Big 3.  I know mine is.

Durand Dan

As an Engineering/Purchasing Manager for an OEM with customers primarly related to automotive it sure effects me! The last eight years have seen these types of businesses lose millions in contracts. Hopefully we are on the road to change with the coming administration.

dartag

the poll is going about the way i figured it would.   bass tournys would be greatly affected.

bosshawg

what job - yeah it did....
it was bad enuff having to spend the summer hospitalized and then when i'd thought i was ready to return to work, permanent laid off due to lack of work. this was in sept. so i haven't work since june. 33 years in automotive material handling. actually this is 2nd time around w/different companies. it sucks!!
really not wanting to do that type of work anymore w/ or w/o this loan. a "band aid" it is. anybody else in that buisness i wish you guys all the luck and good fortune.
what's a 55 yr old guy to do. i have no clue right now. keep plugging away at employment web sites. but competition is so tough out there, i hear back from no one.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

dashaver63

Sorry to hear that BOSSHAWG. I hope you do find work pretty soon. I'll probably looking too. Dec.12th will be my last day for a while. The only problem I have is that most jobs down here are automotive related, and you have to start as a temporary employee, no insurance. So, do I wait out the layoff, or look for work? I just don't know.

matt

We all got laid off at our company.

It's one big mess....

motocross269

Most here are off for the next month...

I would like to hear from the 7 that said that their job wasn't affected...If they are from the Great lakes area I don't know how it couldnt' be,,,They are even closing hospitals left and right..If they are state or government employees with the rapid decrease in a tax base it will be soon ..Heck, even Selfridge military base is downsizing certain operations..

Bloomer

Everything in this state is tied to the auto industry if they want to admit it or not. I myslef am in the utility trade and was just laid off this week due to lack of work. First time for me, Don't want to leave the state but really don't know what to do.

matt

Quote from: Bloomer on December 19, 2008, 07:39:02 AM
Everything in this state is tied to the auto industry if they want to admit it or not. I myslef am in the utility trade and was just laid off this week due to lack of work. First time for me, Don't want to leave the state but really don't know what to do.

I'm in the same position.If worst comes to worst I'm heading back home to Texas.Right now it's too soon to say and do anything.Our family is just waiting it out.My girl is still working(retirement homes) so she's not really affected too much.

djkimmel

I truly hope things improve for all of you.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Durand Dan

Well, the cuts hit our place today. I had to layoff Controls people and Mechicanical Designers along with myself. Hopefully it's a temporary thing. Anybody want ot take me Ice Fishing?

DD

bshaner

By no means am I trying to flaunt here..  I missed the voting but would have voted no.  I'm a federal technician in the military.  Our jobs are safe from the side effects of say the big 3 or the economy in general.

That being said ultimately my job could be effected by the national budget if say the BRAC (Base reallignment and closure) decided to cut out our mission and reallign it somewhere else due to budget cuts.

So I guess you could stretch the economic problems to be able to affect my job if Washington decides my base isnt necessary.  They did try to close our base last round.  For all the bad things said about Sen. Levine he just about single handedly saved our base by representing us up on the hill.

So no the big 3 dont directly affect me, but theoretically a bad economy combined with a non military friendly administration could.  We have yet to see if either one or both of those are going to apply in the next 4 years.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

motocross269

Brian,
In hindsight I wish I would have stayed in a couple more years...I would have been a CSM and had something to fall back on if the bottom totally falls out...
After my last Deployment my wife said enough, and I was getting a little burnt out anyway...
It was always nice to have Active Duty as a back up...
I could Deploy as a contractor/advisor but that doesn't really turn me on...
Brian

fiker

I teach.  Been teaching for 33 years.  Technically I'm a government employee.  (you don't get rich, but it's steady).  One might think I might not be affected. At the moment, financially I"m not, but it's coming.
Our district for the last 2 decades has been growing  rapidly.  We have actually made budgets based on increasing enrollment.  We not only didn't increase the last two, we've lost students.  In a district like mine, the amount of money we get per pupil from the State is our major source of income.  Less students equals less money.  Our union has had to make concessions for a couple of contracts now.  No doubt more will be asked of us in the future.

With all of my years, I can't get laid off. I'm about 8th from the top of the seniority list of 360 teachers. But I know that classes are going to be cut.  With that, less senior teachers will be laid off.  My class sizes will no doubt get larger. 

My district isn't a rich district but our population has historically done ok.  Some families still do.  But an increasing number of students now are coming from homes that are not doing well at all.  More students qualify for the free lunch program now than in the past.  Some can't afford to live where they do and will have to move.   I've even heard of problems with the basics like heat and electricity.  Families temporarily living in their car or area campgrounds. 

I never would have thought that the kinds of things I'm seeing now would have ever happened in our location in south east Michigan. 
But they have.   Unfortunately, I see things getting worse before
they get better.

I feel for those of you have lost your jobs. The things that affect me, might seem in comparison, minor.  But, the original thread was, "how does it affect you". 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Skulley

YES!!!!  I have worked in the industry for 30+ years with my last 24 at Chrysler.  My paycheck depends on it. 

BD          ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com