Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 02:39:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

DK Open Fall 2007 Lake Choices

Started by djkimmel, August 03, 2007, 02:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choose A Lake for the Fall 2007 DK Open Members' Tournament?

Cadillac/Mitchell Lakes
5 (13.9%)
Chippewa Lake
3 (8.3%)
Hamlin Lake
9 (25%)
Lake Ovid
14 (38.9%)
Mona Lake
5 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

djkimmel

The purpose is to see if we can come up with lake that enough members can fish to have it. I do NOT want to have another East/SE event - 1 a year is enough for now. We'll do that again next spring. This is for the middle and west part of the state, but will only be held if the interest is high enough.

Please do NOT vote unless you are truly interested in going.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Durand Dan

I voted for Ovid. There's some chunks there!! ;D

Bender

I have not been in a DK Open yet, but I would like to try this fall. Ovid is not too far from home, but I would like to try a deep northern lake for late season smallies. Chippewa doesn't look too deep, but it is not too far from home either. The lakes right on the west coast might be too far to drive though.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

spinninbug

Well  I picked Hamlin for obvious reasons however, I would fish Hamlin over any down state lake on any givin day,  and yes I do fish downstate in our Jackson club.  However,  Hamlin has both large and small mouth.  There are some toads in there too.  I know it's a farther drive for some,  however just where is this lake ovid?  Never heard of it or chippawa.  I will go where ever it is though.  As long as it doesn't happen on the last saturday or the weekend after labor day.  Our Jackson clubs fall open is the last saturday and my cousin and I are fishing it togother (we will be the only girl team there) oh  and if anyone is interested it's on Wamplers Lake.

Our classic for our new club is the 9th so if the open isn't one of those two days I'm there! :D
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

Slipkey

I voted Cadillac/Mitchell.  I hope I can attend if my schedule permits!

Ryan

Before I cast my vote, I had a few questions about a couple of the lakes.  I fish at Ovid quite a bit and it can be really hit or miss, but it is still a fun lake.  I have never fished Hamlin Lake or Cadillac/Mitchell, but I have heard quite a bit about them and know their locations and layouts.  However, I really do not know anything about Mona Lake or Chippewa.  Where are they located?  How do they fish? and How big are they? 

Any information on these two would be great because I don't want to become an uneducated voter.

Thanks a lot guys-and girls!
-Ryan

Durand Dan

Quote from: spinninbug on August 04, 2007, 10:55:08 AM
Well  I picked Hamlin for obvious reasons however, I would fish Hamlin over any down state lake on any givin day,  and yes I do fish downstate in our Jackson club.  However,  Hamlin has both large and small mouth.  There are some toads in there too.  I know it's a farther drive for some,  however just where is this lake ovid?  Never heard of it or chippawa.  I will go where ever it is though.  As long as it doesn't happen on the last saturday or the weekend after labor day.  Our Jackson clubs fall open is the last saturday and my cousin and I are fishing it togother (we will be the only girl team there) oh  and if anyone is interested it's on Wamplers Lake.

Our classic for our new club is the 9th so if the open isn't one of those two days I'm there! :D

Ovid is in Sleepy Hollow State Park. Langsburg

djkimmel

Chippewa Lake is up in Osceola/Mecosta County -between Big Rapids and Evart near Martiny Chain (I hope that is the one people were talking about?). Not real big and I don't know a lot about it other than it is supposed to be a sleeper lake.

Mona Lake is off of Lake Michigan just south of Muskegon Lake. Kind of a miniature, but not as done up as Muskegon. Narrower and about 3 miles long. Been a real good lake in the past. Maybe more spotty now, but fall can see some biggies still from what I've heard (smalllies or largies).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dashaver63

Is Lake Ovid the one just north of Lansing? If it is a one day trip, I would be interested.

TCook

Out of these choices Hamlin sounds the best. Dan knows the northwest area well so I will take his advice. I just hope the date will be open for me.

T
FISH HARD!!!

dartag

Quote from: dashaver63 on August 05, 2007, 08:24:21 AM
Is Lake Ovid the one just north of Lansing? If it is a one day trip, I would be interested.

i voted for Ovid also.  want to make it a one day trip. 

dashaver63

Fishing the DK fall outing, to me, really isn't about where, but a chance for everyone to get together and have a good time. I just wanted to make it a one day trip for me so that I'm not away overnight again. I want to catch fish, don't get me wrong, but if this is supposed to be a fun tournament, I don't understand why it matters what lake it is as long as everyone can get there, have a good time and get home without having to travel a ton.

Revtro

I'm not sure why Kent isn't in the mix since so many expressed interest in that lake on the other post.  I get what some people mean about not wanting to cater to Eastern anglers.  But when we went up North to Wixom Lake, the turnout was horrible.  Fact of the matter is that most of us are on the Eastern side and Southern half of the state... at least those of us who tend to participate in these events.  So I suspect, unless something is different this year, the turnout won't be very good if it's more than a 1 day trip for all the guys and gals on the Eastern or Southern parts of the state. 

Ovid is just North of Lansing.  It's an hour and half drive from 696 and 94.  That's not too bad for the Eastsiders.  It can be a tough lake, but dshaver63 is right, it's about the camaraderie more than how many fish we catch.  Of course catching a few is a nice bonus.

For all you who live in the Lansing area, Kent isn't a bad drive either.  My guess is that it's only about an half hour to 45 minutes from Lansing.  Odds are we'd catch more there too.  Either way, those 2 lakes work for both East and West side anglers. 

Having it up North would be great if most people wanted to do a 2 day deal so that we could camp, then drive home the next day.  But I doubt most will want to do that and again, when we had it up North, hardly anyone showed.  Northern folks, we don't want you to feel left our or dissed, but there just aren't as many participants in your neck of the woods.  Eventually, we should have Northern and a Southern versions of the DK's.  Heck, someday it would be cool to have a circuit where there are 4 tournaments for qualifying, Northern, Southern, Eastern, Western, with a 5th super tourney in the center of the state as a championship.  The new DK Circuit... I can see it now.  ;D 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

VinceR

I actually voted for Mona (I've always wanted to check it out, never fished it), however, I see that there's a large following for Ovid. I have absolutely no problem with going there, either. I was just trying to spread it a little to the west. As a matter of fact, I'm a big fan of Gull Lake in the fall, and I'm surprised it didn't make the list. I would have definitely voted for it.

Hooksetter

I voted for Hamlin. I have only been there twice but I had a great time both times. It really doesn't matter to me which lake is chosen, I will be there as long as it isn't on the 13th.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Dan

The Tear Drop fished Hamlin today and I believe every boat but one had a limit (23 boats). That's us fishing Sunday after two tournaments were on the lake Saturda.  42 boats in one and 20 in another.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

I did not put Gull on the list because there didn't seem to be any support or call for it. I fish it most falls and enjoy it. I think it's been off a little for the past few seasons, but I haven't fished it as much as I used to either so it might just be me.

I thought with the spread of members in the middle of the state and the west that something farther north might be more popular and more fun for everyone.

Hamlin is a really good lake with a variety of choices to fish. I haven't been there in years, but I keep hearing consistently good reports. I enjoyed fishing it in the past. It would be a long drive for many members.

Again, I do not want another E/SE event at this time. I'm trying to not alienate the W/SW/N members, but I also don't want to hold and event that only has 10 or 12 people there. I understand the time and cost factors too. I want to offer the opportunity for more comradery to the members, but the demand has to be there or the event won't meet the goals of fun and comradery. I don't expect a bunch of E/SE members to drive a long way if only 2 or 3 members from the other side participate. I realize that isn't fair to anyone, but maybe E/SE members can look at it as a chance to fish a new and interesting lake?

Mona might be a good choice since it isn't as far as Hamlin. Has a good number of smallmouths and largemouth. Isn't too big to get rough or hard to fish a lot of it in many different techniques. Not necessary to fish real deep to catch them either. I enjoy Mona although I haven't been on it for a few years. I've never been on Chippewa.

Ovid can seem tough, but it has a lot of quality bass and is a good education for any angler who wants to improve reservior fishing ability. I would help with spots. I just wonder if that is far enough west and north to get any of the W/SW/N members to participate?

I've never been to Cadillac/Mitchell. Pretty good drive for E/SE members, but they have a good reputation for fall bass fishing - used to be awesome, but I think that is not the case anymore. I think they are still good, but have a further reputation for being very spotty. Again, I have not first hand experience, but it might be an interesting new fishing experience?

TCook

My take is that this forum is dominated by east siders. So they are likley to vote on the closest lake to them, therefor Ovid will likley be chosen. I dont blame those guys for not wanting to make the long drive and possibly stay over night. I understand that the DK open is about comradery and I agree, but I think the fact that we all love catching bass should play an equal part in chosing a lake. Otherwise we would not even need to vote and just have dan pick a lake out of a hat or something. If distance was so important then why pick Lake st clair for the spring open it is the furthest lake possible for us west siders? Lake st clair was chosen because the fishing is amazing and thats why I drove 3 and a half hours to fish it. Half because I wanted to meet the forum members and half because I love fishing lake st clair. So why not pick one of the west sides best lakes so we can enjoy what brought us all to this forum, catching big bass, along with meeting and getting to know members. I never fished ovid but I get the feeling it will be tough. I think Hamlin or Muskegon would be the best option and the same distance us west siders drove to fish the DK spring open.

T
FISH HARD!!!

djkimmel

Ovid isn't that tough if you fish it like a reservoir, but I have no problem not going there. If I can convince more members to drive farther somehow I will IF I can get enough support from the west side members too. Ovid is smaller, but you can fish almost any part of the lake so it doesn't fish real small. It is pretty complex. There are a lot of really nice bass in Ovid.

I think it is a good compromise lake for anglers from all parts of the state other than the far north. If I can't get very many westsiders to participate yet, maybe some of you would travel there along with enough eastsiders? A trip to one of the farther west lakes would be nice too - I think some of the lakes would be well liked if given a chance.

Hamlin is a good fishing lake. I don't have a problem with Muskegon either. It gets fished a lot, but it is very complex with lots of possible ways to fish. I picked Mona only because I thought it would be easier for people to figure out who've never been there and less prone to a bad fall breeze - somewhat a concern for Hamlin and Cadillac/Mitchell too. Although, Hamlin had the smaller, narrower north arm - used to be good in the fall?

I planned all along that this year would be a spring east side and fall west side schedule. I want to get everyone participating if I can. It's always challenging in Michigan because of the population strength in the SE, but I will have an event 'outstate' if I can get enough people to go. Any help any of you can be in getting more members on the west side is always appreciated.

Genie

Mona is tough to run a tournament as there is not a really good ramp area.  Cadillac/Mitchell is prone to bad weather.  Chippewa is tough once the weeds die.  Ovid is no wake and I blanked with my future father-in-law there during a "get to know ya" day on the water - not anxious to go back.

Is there still time for other suggestions?

West side rules!
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!